Picking a class in Bordlerlands 2

figmentPez

Staff member
Having picked up The Handsome Collection, I now have to pick a class to play in B2.
- I will probably be playing solo.
- I played Lilith (Siren) in Borderlands 1 and I really loved that class.
- During a free weekend of B2 I tried out Salvador (Gunzerker) and really wasn't in love with the class.
- Aesthetically Gaige (Mechromancer) appeals to me the most.
- Krieg's ability is similar to classes I've played in other games, berzerk and lifesteal.

Any thoughts from people who have played the game?

I was a Brick main in B1 (with Lilith a distant 2nd), but haven’t experimented with the classes in B2 yet.
I assume I’ll end up with either Salvador or Krieg, depending on just how much weapon characteristics affect your kit.

Though if you were really attached to Lilith in B1, I assume you’re going to feel most at home with Zer0.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I love the Gunzerker. It's okay early but later on he generates ammo out of thin air and it's awesome.

I went as Zer0, but I'm always a sniper (obvs I went with Mordecai and his murderbird in one). I liked it okay, but my daughter played as the mechromancer, and I'll admit I was a bit jealous when we played together.

Dave

Staff member
I went as Zer0, but I'm always a sniper (obvs I went with Mordecai and his murderbird in one). I liked it okay, but my daughter played as the mechromancer, and I'll admit I was a bit jealous when we played together.
Zer0 is great until the final boss fight, when he gets absolutely destroyed. The Gunzerker tore through the final boss like it wasn't even there while I had to reload several times to beat it with Zer0.

Zer0 is great until the final boss fight, when he gets absolutely destroyed. The Gunzerker tore through the final boss like it wasn't even there while I had to reload several times to beat it with Zer0.
I never finished, so I guess I dodged that bullet.

Having picked up The Handsome Collection, I now have to pick a class to play in B2.
- I will probably be playing solo.
- I played Lilith (Siren) in Borderlands 1 and I really loved that class.
- During a free weekend of B2 I tried out Salvador (Gunzerker) and really wasn't in love with the class.
- Aesthetically Gaige (Mechromancer) appeals to me the most.
- Krieg's ability is similar to classes I've played in other games, berzerk and lifesteal.

Any thoughts from people who have played the game?
I enjoyed both Axton and Salvador the most. And I had more fun playing as Maya then I ever had playing Lilith.

I found Gaige the least enjoyable of them all, mostly because I felt like her Deathtrap was doing all the work for me. (I had the same issue with Wilhelm in the Presequel).

So, I'd suggest starting as Maya, and if you find her uninteresting, give Axton or Zero a go.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gaige is a lot of fun, but be aware she has the propensity to become gamebreakingly OP in the mid to late game.

figmentPez

Staff member
Gaige is a lot of fun, but be aware she has the propensity to become gamebreakingly OP in the mid to late game.
Honestly, there's at least a small part of me that finds that appealing. Sometimes I just want to breeze through a game, especially when my anxiety is bad.

GasBandit

Staff member
Honestly, there's at least a small part of me that finds that appealing. Sometimes I just want to breeze through a game, especially when my anxiety is bad.
Then allow me to present you with your build, and recommend you get a nice big, slow quad shotgun until you can get the fibber. (If you don't get the second barrel version, try again). Build those anarchy stacks up as high as you can, and soon you'll be one-shotting entire rooms.

Yeah, then my problem with Gaige won't be one for you.

Also, individual quests and enemies stay a static level, so you can make things easier by doing extra sidequests to out-level the opposition. So you can make things easier on yourself that way, too.

Just realized I've been playing BL1 all this time instead of BL1:Enhanced. Finally downloaded BL1:Enhanced.
Must admit it looks prettier but OMG THIS INVENTORY SCREEN AAIGHTHPTH

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
So, @figmentPez , which classes have you played so far, and which ones do you like best?
I played Gunzerker a long while ago during a free weekend, and I very often frustrated with the class. Might have just been my state of mind at the time, since @LittleKagsin assures me that it's an amazing class.

I've only played Mechromancer since I bought the game, and I'm loving Gaige and her Deathtrap. I doubt I'll try any other classes any time soon. One of my frustrations with the Borderlands series is that the early game is more than a little boring the second time around. 5 levels before you even unlock your class's defining ability? Are you kidding me? And you have to go through that opening section with every single class you want to play, even though it's the exact same experience until you get your first skill point. This is what kept me from a second play through of Borderlands 1. By the time I unlocked my Turret as Roland, I was so frustrated that I just gave up. Though, that's as much my propensity to get burnt out on game genres, as it is Borderlands' poor early game.

Back to Borderlands 2, though. I've just finished meeting Tiny Tina, and I think this is as far as I got with Salvador, but I've said that a half-dozen times already. "Okay, I remember meeting Lilith, but surely I quit right after this."... "OH! I did rescue Roland, but I remember being really frustrated at this point, so I probably didn't go any further."... "Wait, I remember varkids, those bastards deserve worse than burning! But I must have given up after that."

I'm not having any of that frustration, this time around. I'm mainly relying on a sniper rifle, and I call in Deathtrap when my shield goes down, so I'm probably spending as much time getting headshots as I am just letting my robot run rampage. (Who needs to regenerate ammo when I've only run out of sniper rifle ammo once or twice?)

GasBandit

Staff member
I thought I'd like the gunzerker, too, but it turned out to definitely be not my thing. Gaige is just too damn fun.

... "Wait, I remember varkids, those bastards deserve worse than burning! But I must have given up after that."
It wasn't until, like, my tenth replay that I thought to save the gun that Captain Flynt drops. It sets those bastards on fire real quick, and is so low level that it doesn't kill the babies.

It saved me so much hassle.

figmentPez

Staff member
Still playing Mechromancer, and loving it. Though the new option to start characters at level 30 is kind of appealing to try out other classes. Maybe I'll do some of the DLC with another class.

Ran into an odd bit of trouble today. I suddenly started getting terrible framerates. Previously I'd been getting a solid 60fps, easy. Then today I started getting 40-ish fps every time I was in combat, tops, with a lot of drops into the teens. I could not figure it out. I thought maybe the Commander Lilith DLC had broken something, but finally I spotted that PhysX had gotten turned to High. Turned that back to low, and now I'm back to smooth gaming.

figmentPez

Staff member
No one told me there were effervescent vehicle skins! Why are there not effervescent character skins?!
20190706195627_1.jpg

20190706195615_1.jpg

Screenshots do not do this justice. This paint job sparkles and shifts, and it's freaking awesome!

I get that a lot of players are pissed because this skin ends up being a fake-out drop (ooh, a rainbow weap... oh, it's just another vehicle skin), but I'm thrilled to have it in the game. I want one for the sand skiff, too.

No one told me there were effervescent vehicle skins! Why are there not effervescent character skins?!
View attachment 31800
View attachment 31802

Screenshots do not do this justice. This paint job sparkles and shifts, and it's freaking awesome!

I get that a lot of players are pissed because this skin ends up being a fake-out drop (ooh, a rainbow weap... oh, it's just another vehicle skin), but I'm thrilled to have it in the game. I want one for the sand skiff, too.
IT'S A TRAP!

figmentPez

Staff member
IT'S A TRAP!
Have you seen the Unicornsplosion gun?

It's a shotgun that fires unicorns that explode into crystal shards that also explode, with accompanying clouds of hearts and horseshoes, leaving rainbow splatter everywhere.

It's even more awesome than the Swordsplosion, which fires swords, that explode into smaller swords, that also explode.

Have you seen the Unicornsplosion gun?

It's a shotgun that fires unicorns that explode into crystal shards that also explode, with accompanying clouds of hearts and horseshoes, leaving rainbow splatter everywhere.

It's even more awesome than the Swordsplosion, which fires swords, that explode into smaller swords, that also explode.
That sounds more awesome than Painkiller's Electrodriver, which shoots SHURIKENS AND LIGHTNING. :)

Zer0 is great until the final boss fight, when he gets absolutely destroyed.
Not entirely true! I mean yes, I had to reload a few times, but you know what made the difference (after I died the first time*)? The Lady Fist pistol. A decent shotgun to remove the plates, and then switch to the Lady Fist to remove HP. Crit damage skills bonus + crit damage stat bonus + MASSIVE crit damage weapon boost = DIE DIE DIE. Dukino's mom was harder than the final boss fight (mainly due to Dukino's mom's lack of a SHOOT HERE IDIOT spot like the one on the final boss).

--Patrick
*Every boss battle always seems to come down to "die a lot until you figure out the trick."