PEOPLE IN SAUNAS! Was About Traditional Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andromache

Traditional Marriage (was Books discussion)

What the hell man? After blowing your initial response all up so I could say "whoa whoa you being a homosexual shouldn't be a reason to dislike homosexual haters just because they dislike you enough to try to pass laws to prevent you from having rights!" you get all in my face and call my mom a shitbag!

That's just silly! How dare you dislike someone because they hate you? Your dislike is totally harshing on his right to express his hateful opnion of you; I threby declare this is what you mean and accuse you of accusing him of a thoughtcrime! HA! I win! But oh yah, I'm not a bigot, I totally support gay marriage, I just think Orson Scott Card should be allowed to hate who he wants and not have anyone say they dislike him for that reason in MY presence!
Don't you just hate it when that happens? For what it's worth I'm happy to let him express his opinion. I'm also happy to call him a fuckwit--silly or not.

Also, your mom? total shitbag.

Tell me, do you think there is actually a possibility that the church is right? That the homosexuals are sinners?

How about a religion that forbids heterosexualism? Would you be okay with that?
This is a fun post to latch on to. I know it wasn't meant for me, but I hope nobody minds me throwing my two cents in.

I would have no moral issue with a heterosexuality-forbidding religion, much like I have no moral issue with homosexuals. But at the end of the day, I would offer an wry and wistful expression at the realization that it is genetic and cultural suicide. There might be converts as the old ones die off, but it doesn't really have any potential to propagate itself properly.

right, where are those tons of fag-loving christians that I hear so much about?

and don't argue with "everyone is a sinner", you know that I meant that if homosexuality itself is a sin.
Calm down there slugger. I'm not interested in a fight. If we can't do this calmly this thread goes bye-bye.

You asked a question and I gave you an answer. There are several mainline (and some not so mainline) denominations in America that allow gay clergy. Lutherans, Episcopal, Church of Christ, and a few others.
As to sin? Man, I'm not God and I'm not here to tell you what is and isn't sin, it's not really important what "I" think is sin. I believe all are sinners, me, you, everyone. I'm no better than anyone else. I believe that there is grace and forgiveness in Christ. How that works out in your life? That's between you and God, not me. I really don't give a poop who anyone has sex with.

right, where are those tons of fag-loving Christians that I hear so much about?
I'm one, and the Anglican Church of Canada is a few more. We're a minority, but let's be fair: a global movement of two billion followers is a lot of inertia to redirect, and the whole gay rights thing is only ... what, fifty years old?

You'll see progress: I guarantee it.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Don't you just hate it when that happens? For what it's worth I'm happy to let him express his opinion. I'm also happy to call him a fuckwit--silly or not.

Also, your mom? total shitbag.
/sigh

Sorry you're such a victim. I'm sure you're actually really cool and misunderstood.

A

Andromache

I'm sorry you're such a douchebag.

Also? Not a victim, just a troll.

Green_Lantern

Staff member

This is a fun post to latch on to. I know it wasn't meant for me, but I hope nobody minds me throwing my two cents in.

I would have no moral issue with a heterosexuality-forbidding religion, much like I have no moral issue with homosexuals. But at the end of the day, I would offer an wry and wistful expression at the realization that it is genetic and cultural suicide. There might be converts as the old ones die off, but it doesn't really have any potential to propagate itself properly.
My point is not about the possibility of propagation, but I haven't got to that part yet. Lets continue:

Would you be okay if that group raised children (adopted or whatever method) and taughed them that heterosexuals are inferiors, and that if they are heterosexuals they are evil and will be punished for that?

I asking this because I am on the opposite side of that question, I always keep hearing the same right about people have the right to have hey own religion and own lives, except, that the moment you even say a word about you faith, it enters others people lives, while is not the complete point, what I want you guys to think, is for a moment, what the possibilities that you are opening when you think that any nutjob can say to they kid:

"You my son, don't deserve my love. Because I have faith in it"

okay sorry, I went off-topic and entered in a personal issue I having, forget about it.

Sure, I agree with that, it shouldn't be based on something so basic. However, a PRIVATE group saying we do not rent out our business to group X due to political reasons is fine with me. That church in NJ can say, we don't want to support a political movement or take sides and allowing this would be to close to that for our liking. I'm alright with that. Don't go there if you don't like it, but to sue them since they don't want to be associated with a political movement? That bothers me.
Does that make sense? What I'm really getting at is that I don't think a group should be forced to do something that gives the impression they agree with "X" movement, no matter what. I guess in this case I don't see it as about skin color/sexual orientation/etc but about a political movement that the church group wants to not be associated with. That's not a bad thing, I don't think a GLBT office should be forced to allow a Pro-Life group to rent out their office space. They may not want to be associate with that movement. It's not because they hate religious people or pro-life people.
It does make sense, but there is a detail I don't get. What is it that you see fine?: not renting for a gay marriage (activity), not renting to LGBT group (organisation), not renting to people who just happen to be gay but want to use it for something entirely unrelated with that (just people of a specific condition).

To me the last one is unfundamented discrimination and should therefore be forbidden, the first one is perfectly fine and dandy, and the second one is a bit on the line: I think right now I agree with you, but should the political waters change and the LGBT movement get to be less political and somehow less activist (this is not the word I'm looking for. I have 'reivindicative' in my head but that's just Spanish) then the denial of service would be less justified.

Dave

Staff member

okay sorry, I went off-topic and entered in a personal issue I having, forget about it.
I think this type of argument needs more personal touches to it. Too often it's a hidden pain. All we get to see are the extreme cases. Here on this board we have at LEAST three examples of families who were torn apart and just plain evil towards one of their own simply because of their sexual preference. It's sad and happens too often.

Thank you for sharing that.

figmentPez

Staff member

Would you be okay if that group raised children (adopted or whatever method) and taughed them that heterosexuals are inferiors, and that if they are heterosexuals they are evil and will be punished for that?
That is in no way an inverse of what my church teaches about homosexuality, just for the record.

Legally, I'd be fine with such a group existing. In the United States they are guaranteed the right to whatever religious beliefs they want. EDIT: It'd bother me on an emotional level. The same way the existence of Neo Nazi groups, the KKK, Mormons, Oneness Pentecostals and other groups I consider to be promoting dangerous beliefs, but I also know that what disturbs me on an emotional level isn't necessarily what I should act on. end edit

Whoever told you this is a fool, and does not know what love is. What I know from scripture is that there are none who deserve God's love, but that He loves us anyway. Because He loves us, He commands us to love each other in the same way. Now, there are many who would try and change the definition of what love is from what God has shown us, so to truly examine this issue would take a long discussion on what love really is, as it is far more than just a platitude, but the idea that God does not love those who commit homosexual acts simply because He says that such acts are wrong, and wants them to stop, is patently untrue.

God did not arbitrarily decide some acts are sin for no reason. Those things He has declared to be sin are harmful to ourselves and others. He wants us to stop sinning because He wants what is best for us. I know you do not agree, but that is what is true, regardless. Knowing that what is sin causes harm, how would it be loving to allow someone to continue to cause harm and support them in that? It most certainly wouldn't be. If someone is doing something that is causing harm, the only loving course of action is to tell them that what they are doing is wrong.

It does make sense, but there is a detail I don't get. What is it that you see fine?: not renting for a gay marriage (activity), not renting to LGBT group (organisation), not renting to people who just happen to be gay but want to use it for something entirely unrelated with that (just people of a specific condition).

To me the last one is unfundamented discrimination and should therefore be forbidden, the first one is perfectly fine and dandy, and the second one is a bit on the line: I think right now I agree with you, but should the political waters change and the LGBT movement get to be less political and somehow less activist (this is not the word I'm looking for. I have 'reivindicative' in my head but that's just Spanish) then the denial of service would be less justified.
Sure, what you are describing is how difficult of a thing it is. It's very, very hard to determine these kind of things. Such as: "Did that person not get that job because they weren't qualified or due to 'X'?"
It's really hard to know that sort of thing. If I don't rent to a religious group or a GLBT group is it because I hate religion or gays? Or is it because I see the community associate us with either of them as bad for business? I can tell you how I see it but people from both of those camps might accuse me of being a GLBT/Christian hater.
I think it's really important we allow private business' the right to use their space how THEY see fit, not how the government see's fit. Does it mean everything is going to be perfect? No way, but it allows for community policing rather than government policing. Let the community decide if they want to go to the church that makes that call.
I know it's not easy, I don't want to pretend that it is, I really struggle with where the line is on these sorts of things.

Green_Lantern

Staff member

That is in no way an inverse of what my church teaches about homosexuality, just for the record.

Legally, I'd be fine with such a group existing. In the United States they are guaranteed the right to whatever religious beliefs they want. EDIT: It'd bother me on an emotional level. The same way the existence of Neo Nazi groups, the KKK, Mormons, Oneness Pentecostals and other groups I consider to be promoting dangerous beliefs, but I also know that what disturbs me on an emotional level isn't necessarily what I should act on. end edit

Whoever told you this is a fool, and does not know what love is. What I know from scripture is that there are none who deserve God's love, but that He loves us anyway. Because He loves us, He commands us to love each other in the same way. Now, there are many who would try and change the definition of what love is from what God has shown us, so to truly examine this issue would take a long discussion on what love really is, as it is far more than just a platitude, but the idea that God does not love those who commit homosexual acts simply because He says that such acts are wrong, and wants them to stop, is patently untrue.

God did not arbitrarily decide some acts are sin for no reason. Those things He has declared to be sin are harmful to ourselves and others. He wants us to stop sinning because He wants what is best for us. I know you do not agree, but that is what is true, regardless. Knowing that what is sin causes harm, how would it be loving to allow someone to continue to cause harm and support them in that? It most certainly wouldn't be. If someone is doing something that is causing harm, the only loving course of action is to tell them that what they are doing is wrong.
first: Atheist here, I think that you whole concept of god is just make-believe to give you hope and counters your fears. Are you fine with that "religious" view?

second: Go study history.

third: they don't need to say what I quoted, any idiot (well maybe except you) can tell that is the message.

edit:
Third.point.one: my personal issue was that my family had a sort of religious ceremony gathering last sunday and my sister showed a list of things about how to follow the 10 madaments, guess what topic come up?

Don't worry about it. That's what it means to enter into dialogue.

My point is not about the possibility of propagation, but I haven't got to that part yet. Lets continue:

I asking this because I am on the opposite side of that question, I always keep hearing the same right about people have the right to have hey own religion and own lives, except, that the moment you even say a word about you faith, it enters others people lives, while is not the complete point, what I want you guys to think, is for a moment, what the possibilities that you are opening when you think that any nutjob can say to they kid:

I'm not really sure where to go with that. I would oppose any group that was so bigoted, no matter what side of the sexuality, gender, or racial divide they lay on. That bullshit is not what the world, or even individuals need. So I wouldn't be okay if a sect did that, no. But I'm not okay with denominations that do the opposite, either. There's an issue of love that doesn't get solved there, and reversing the positions just throws contrasting colors on the exact same problem.

I wouldn't argue that such groups have no right to exist, but I would like to think that I would actively live my life in a way to undermine the fundamental problems that give rise to people like that: ignorance, hatred, etc. And when I come into contact with people that have opinions like that, I make it clear why I think they're wrong, and why they are doing more harm than good, even from their side of the fence. I've literally been called a heretic for such disagreements and conversations. Flaming liberals have called me a flaming liberal. I've even had people tell me that I'm an atheist, and a homosexual.

I'm not sure if I'm even still on topic. But I think I responded to what I meant to respond to.

A

Andromache

I still dislike Orson Scott Card.

North_Ranger

Staff member

Oh for the love of TARDIS, not this one again...

*sighs*

I might as well get prepared.

@fig

Firstly, forget that post you answered to. Yep, I was wrong.

Besides that

I know you do not agree, but that is what is true, regardless.
seriously?

Besides that, I have a bit of a problem giving credit to any religion with a strict/complicated set of specific norms supposedly directly given by god. Given that all of them have some different rules, almost all of them must be wrong. General rules are far better in my book and seem less arbitrary and more believable.

This is a huge point for me. I understand the reasoning that god's commandments don't need to be fully understood but just followed, just like a kid should obey their parents for their own good, but I also take into account that religion is not run by god himself but by people, and if they give me rules that seem arbitrary they probably made them up or they are their interpretation of God's word, but they shouldn't restrict my relationship with him.

Also, I am an agnostic now, but when I was a kid (say, 12) I thought homosexuality was 'unnatural' and therefore bad. I got taught some respect for homosexuals in a christian organisation (not a church). I voiced my opinion and the answer I got was something along the lines of: 'Really? Why do you think that? How can we tell them what love is? Heck, sometimes it seems like WE need to be taught what love is, maybe by them.'

I think it's also important to remember that our own personal experiences with "GROUP A" are not indicative of everyone who associates with "GROUP A". I got beat up by a couple of black kids when I was 15. I was a little punk with blue hair and weird clothes and they decided I "looked funny".
So I got beat up.
I don't assume all black people hate me or want to beat me up and frankly I get tired of people assuming that just because I'm a christian I must hate gays BUT I understand where it comes from. There are way too many stories like GL's. WAY. TOO. MANY. and shame on Christians who treat anyone like that.
GL, I'm really sorry you have been treated that way, it's terrible. Really shameful and like FP said a terrible representation of the love God wants his followers to show. I'm really sorry.

Green_Lantern

Staff member

I think this type of argument needs more personal touches to it. Too often it's a hidden pain. All we get to see are the extreme cases. Here on this board we have at LEAST three examples of families who were torn apart and just plain evil towards one of their own simply because of their sexual preference. It's sad and happens too often.

Thank you for sharing that.
thank you dave...

... I just feel tired. I feel old, I mean, no offense, but I feel like there is nothing left of my life, there is nothing more to achieve, or hope for, there is no hope at all.

I am near my death, not chronologically, but spiritualy... there wouldn't make a difference.

figmentPez

Staff member

first: Atheist here, I think that you whole concept of god is just make-believe to give you hope and counters your fears. Are you fine with that "religious" view?

second: Go study history.

third: they don't need to say what I quoted, any idiot (well maybe except you) can tell that is the message.

edit:
Third.point.one: my personal issue was that my family had a sort of religious ceremony gathering last sunday and my sister showed a list of things about how to follow the 10 madaments, guess what topic come up?
1. I am fine with you holding and voicing that view. You're welcome to try and convince whoever you want that you're right. I think you're wrong, so I guess in that respect I'm not fine with it, but there are lots of things I think people are wrong about. I don't spend all day dwelling on those things.

2. I have studied history. I'm well aware that my viewpoint is strongly in the minority. Such has always been the case with those who follow Christ. There has always been the Church within the church. Who is right? Only God can judge. Regardless, I will say what I know to be true, especially when asked.

3. What Christians and "christians" proclaim is not always the same as what God has said to men. What others think that Christians/"christians" have told them is not always what has actually been said. Just because you hear one thing being said does not make that the truth of who Jesus Christ is and what He teaches. I'm sorry that you feel marginalized by your family, but regardless of how their actions make you feel, I will still maintain my beliefs, and proclaim the truth as I know it.

C

Chibibar

I think we can see the problem of this whole topic is pretty much religion base. I think religion tend to stick its head here and there, while some religion and beliefs are fine, but I don't think it should dictate other people's live that does not concern them.

Government provide benefits to its citizens. Gay people are citizens too. They should have the same right as everyone else. The U.S. has establish many things for equality. My religion believe that ANYONE is a sinner to eat meat, but that make you wrong? no, but if you follow my faith, then you are bad person but if you are not, then technically you are not wrong since we don't have the same faith. Also in my parent's faith, dancing is bad and so is swearing (high level sins) so most of us are doom!!! ;)

Some religion believe sex before marriage is bad but they still do it.

We are talking two people (regardless of sexual orientation) wants to have the same benefits that everyone else is getting.

Tax benefits
medical benefits
estate benefits
legal benefits

these are just the few most hetro couple get and some taken for granted. These laws help protect your family, your property, and your rights if your partner should die.

Same sex couple don't get this... why? the only logical reason I can think of is the religious aspect. I know the "ideal" thing the "separation of church and state" but in reality that is not going to happen... why? each person serving in a government seat believe in something (or nothing) and that will influence them one way or another. I think many people (at least the vocal one) are afraid of change and many will fight tooth and nail to prevent the change. I remember something funny my prof told me a while back

Long ago
Sex before marriage is bad
Divorce is bad
same sex marriage is bad

then sex before marriage is ok
Divorce is bad
same sex marriage is bad

now
sex before marriage is ok
Divorce is ok
same sex marriage is ok

I think in the future all three will be ok. Time are changing. Heck less than 200 years ago anyone who is NOT white is not consider a citizen and have no rights in the U.S.

A

Andromache

as I said before, their God only loves those who love people the way He meant them to, which is to say sure he loves the sinning homos, but they are still going to burn because they didn't respect his rules about the dance cards. So sayeth the christians, who are fine that we gays exist, but are very tongue clucking about it. Except not all the Christians say the exact same thing, though they are all damningly certain that God gives them the Absolute Truth, and that any other Christians who speak a different truth are totally faux Christians.

Why is theology even coming into the discussion? You don't need to discuss why in Christianity their God says do this, do that, because it's their belief. You're not going to change that with any reason, because it's not reason that promotes it. It is a relationship of command and obedience. The merits of the command do not apply.

Essentially, turning heads would be about turning beliefs, not about what goes on inside the Christian faith. You're not going to change what a person's holy book says, but whether they believe everything in it.

Green_Lantern

Staff member

as I said before, their God only loves those who love people the way He meant them to, which is to say sure he loves the sinning homos, but they are still going to burn because they didn't respect his rules about the dance cards. So sayeth the christians, who are fine that we gays exist, but are very tongue clucking about it. Except not all the Christians say the exact same thing, though they are all damningly certain that God gives them the Absolute Truth, and that any other Christians who speak a different truth are totally faux Christians.
yeap, pretty much that.

I also love how the whole thing is built around the principle "Do this to get a reward/Don't do this to don't get punished" system, one things that really drives away is the underline conclusion that they are generous only because they are selfish.

A

Andromache

Why is theology even coming into the discussion?
because they use the theology to justify the acts of legislation. I would love to have a long debate as to the nature of the secular civil union issues at hand, but NOM for example, presents anti-gay marriage efforts as an attempt to save "religious liberty."

Green_Lantern

Staff member

Why is theology even coming into the discussion?
Because most people in this discussion, have a rudimentary set of skills that allow them to realize a obvious conclusion:

Most homophobic movements are religious motivated/justified.

edit: Also, I just wanted to note that I never actually used the words "You are a idiot" in this post, and surely din't deleted them, before posting it.

figmentPez

Staff member

seriously?
Yes, seriously. What I meant was that what is true is true regardless of who believes it. Simply disagreeing with something does not make it false. I'm sorry that I came across as claiming that what I know to be true is absolutely true regardless of evidence, but I'm rather used to getting the argument that "I don't agree with you, therefore anything you've said is absolutely wrong and can't even be examined to see if it's self-consistent." Especially in regards to Christianity. EDIT: in fact, we've already seen quite a bit of that in this thread. I've been responded to with insults, mockery, and people claiming that Christianity can't be true simply because it doesn't sit right with them. end edit

Besides that, I have a bit of a problem giving credit to any religion with a strict/complicated set of specific norms supposedly directly given by god. Given that all of them have some different rules, almost all of them must be wrong. General rules are far better in my book and seem less arbitrary and more believable.

This is a huge point for me. I understand the reasoning that god's commandments don't need to be fully understood but just followed, just like a kid should obey their parents for their own good, but I also take into account that religion is not run by god himself but by people, and if they give me rules that seem arbitrary they probably made them up or they are their interpretation of God's word, but they shouldn't restrict my relationship with him.
Well, I think your prejudice is holding you back from understanding. I certainly don't teach that God's command's can't be understood. While I will say that fully understanding God is humanly impossible, I don't hold that God wants us to follow unquestioningly. In fact a recurring theme in scripture is "come let us reason together". God wants us to be active participants, and tells us that over and over again. The fact that God has already told us what is right and wrong is no reason for us to think that our understanding plays no role in how we relate to Him. Simply because we have concrete declarations of what is right and wrong, foreverandeveramen, does not mean that such declarations are automatically wrong at some point and therefore wrong altogether.

A

Andromache

Point therein: stepping past the "It's wrong because a book claiming to have been written by Divinely inspired men as the hands of God says it's wrong and my God is Never Wrong" arguement the point of the anti-gay movement still seems mighty shakey from a secular logical standpoint

"It's traditional! Preserve traditions!"

Yeah? like slavery?

"Its what our forefathers intended!"
As written by them right there in the Constitution... "Gay Marriage is illegal." Oh wait.

So in the end, the only argument is that its wrong because a god I don't believe exists has told these people it's wrong, and that I should believe them because their god is truthful, while all other gods are fake.

A

Andromache

oh yeah? Well your mother smelt of elderberries!

C

Chibibar

I agree Crone, it's a very poor argument.
I second it.

This is why one first page, when you take out religion out of the argument, there isn't a thing wrong for having TWO people (regardless of sex) being together.

Yes, seriously. What I meant was that what is true is true regardless of who believes it. Simply disagreeing with something does not make it false. I'm sorry that I came across as claiming that what I know to be true is absolutely true regardless of evidence, but I'm rather used to getting the argument that "I don't agree with you, therefore anything you've said is absolutely wrong and can't even be examined to see if it's self-consistent." Especially in regards to Christianity. EDIT: in fact, we've already seen quite a bit of that in this thread. I've been responded to with insults, mockery, and people claiming that Christianity can't be true simply because it doesn't sit right with them. end edit
That's exactly how your sentence came through!
Also, using the word 'know' instead of 'believe' doesn't do much good in a discussion. It makes it look like you think you are in posession of absolute and unchallenged truth (especially with how you posted it before).

I more or less get you now, so no worries.

Well, I think your prejudice is holding you back from understanding. I certainly don't teach that God's command's can't be understood. While I will say that fully understanding God is humanly impossible, I don't hold that God wants us to follow unquestioningly. In fact a recurring theme in scripture is "come let us reason together". God wants us to be active participants, and tells us that over and over again. The fact that God has already told us what is right and wrong is no reason for us to think that our understanding plays no role in how we relate to Him. Simply because we have concrete declarations of what is right and wrong, foreverandeveramen, does not mean that such declarations are automatically wrong at some point and therefore wrong altogether.
I don't understand the bolded part. I am not saying that they are ALL necessarily wrong, just that they are more easily challenged. For instance, you say that God invites us to reason and to understand his commandments. You do understad that the bible you read has gone though several translations and sometimes contradicts itself, right? From this it is obvious to me that the commandments are open to interpretation, even if in the smallest bit. And since many churches rewrite them in slightly or strongly different ways, it is difficult to know which set is the right one (if there is one).

Also, all of this comes from what I read in your posts and, if you want, my being very tired. NOT from prejudice. I have been a catholic (in my own way) for most of my life and I still respect and more or less follow tha values I did back then. I just lost faith.

figmentPez

Staff member

Point therein: stepping past the "It's wrong because a book claiming to have been written by Divinely inspired men as the hands of God says it's wrong and my God is Never Wrong" arguement the point of the anti-gay movement still seems mighty shakey from a secular logical standpoint
If that were the sole extent of my argument, that would be pretty weak. I don't believe the Bible simply because it exists and people told me to believe in it. There is ample evidence that the Bible is what it claims to be, while other books and belief systems are not.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

This is why one first page, when you take out religion out of the argument, there isn't a thing wrong for having TWO people (regardless of sex) being together.
Actually, that remains to be seen. Time will tell what will be known from psychological and scientific studies, sociological impact of homosexuality and other sources besides religion. Just because you assume that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, and similiarly assume that all evidence against is solely based on religious bias does not make it so.

If that were the sole extent of my argument, that would be pretty weak. I don't believe the Bible simply because it exists and people told me to believe in it. There is ample evidence that the Bible is what it claims to be, while other books and belief systems are not.
That's the crux of the problem. I believe that the bible is much more than just a book, others do not. Why on earth should they take it seriously like we do? They shouldn't! They have no reason to.
This is why when we get into these kinds of arguments it's just beating our heads against brick walls to an extent. We are dealing with matters of faith and belief that are bridges we cannot mutually exist together on.
That doesn't mean we don't have things we can discuss and agree on, it's just that if I argue from something and use it as my base of understanding and authority and you don't agree with that then we really can't move very far forward together can we?

Status
Not open for further replies.