Penny Arcade - 4/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

quandofloo

#1
I am not going to link an image so you have to go look at the comic but this is the first time a webcomic of any shape or form actually made me audibly chuckle in quite a while. I find humor in a lot of them but this one actually made me laugh.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/
 
Reactions
560 33 1
#4
What, no heroin syringes?

Though I do subscribe to the theory that his girlfriend injected him with the lethal amount of heroin before she blew his face off...
 
S

Scarlet Varlet

#6
Ugh. Go back to mocking newspapers, ye knavish lot.

Seriously. I loved Nirvana and find this sort of humour is too soon, too.
 
Q

quandofloo

#7
Scarlet Varlet said:
Ugh. Go back to mocking newspapers, ye knavish lot.

Seriously. I loved Nirvana and find this sort of humour is too soon, too.
15 years is too soon?
 
S

Scarlet Varlet

#8
quandofloo said:
Scarlet Varlet said:
Ugh. Go back to mocking newspapers, ye knavish lot.

Seriously. I loved Nirvana and find this sort of humour is too soon, too.
15 years is too soon?
Yes. I've been suffering through the behaviour of Courtney Love during much of it. :facepalm:
 
Reactions
260 47 1
#9
I'm not sure it's an issue of too soon. Just not sure anything is funny about suicide.
 

ElJuski

Staff member
Reactions
26 0 0
#10
There's tons funny about suicide.

Loved the comic, although I think that the Rock Band Nirvana should also come with a Courtney Love peripheral which squanders your assets on coke and shitty licensing, and then Leaves Your Jar of Ashes In An Airport Vent And Forget Where You Left It periph FOR your Courtney Love periph.
 
Reactions
260 47 1
#14
ElJuski said:
Krisken said:
Just not sure anything is funny about suicide.
If you say so, it must be true :eyeroll:
I wasn't making a declarative statement like you did.

Guess it isn't a personal subject for you like it is for me.
 

ElJuski

Staff member
Reactions
26 0 0
#15
Well you could assume that

-- Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:48 am --

Kurt Vonnegut said:
Laughter and tears are both responses to fear and frustration. I myself prefer to laugh because there's less cleaning up to do afterwards.
instantly and forever quotable for all your philosophical needs!
 
Reactions
544 143 4
#16
ElJuski said:
Well you could assume that

-- Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:48 am --

Kurt Vonnegut said:
Laughter and tears are both responses to fear and frustration. I myself prefer to laugh because there's less cleaning up to do afterwards.
instantly and forever quotable for all your philosophical needs!
On a slight tangent, but related to the quote, my ex-brother-in-law was going to ditch his Halloween costume as he thought it inappropriate as I'd just lost my house in a fire. I asked him what it was. He said it was going to be a Buddhist monk from Vietnam, complete with gas can. At the time my house was still smoking, and firefighters were still on the scene. It was all I could do to stop laughing long enough to tell him DO IT. :rofl:
 
Reactions
423 183 3
#18
DarkAudit said:
ElJuski said:
Well you could assume that

-- Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:48 am --

Kurt Vonnegut said:
Laughter and tears are both responses to fear and frustration. I myself prefer to laugh because there's less cleaning up to do afterwards.
instantly and forever quotable for all your philosophical needs!
On a slight tangent, but related to the quote, my ex-brother-in-law was going to ditch his Halloween costume as he thought it inappropriate as I'd just lost my house in a fire. I asked him what it was. He said it was going to be a Buddhist monk from Vietnam, complete with gas can. At the time my house was still smoking, and firefighters were still on the scene. It was all I could do to stop laughing long enough to tell him DO IT. :rofl:
:rofl:
Sorry about the house, but brilliant costume.
 
Reactions
19 1 0
#19
Oh, I love Penny-Arcade so, so much.

Also, did anyone see the news post about PAX? I would give my left testicle to go to Seattle and participate.
 
Reactions
544 143 4
#20
HowDroll said:
Oh, I love Penny-Arcade so, so much.

Also, did anyone see the news post about PAX? I would give my left * to go to Seattle and participate.
Um...

:rcain:
 
Reactions
712 133 1
#21
HowDroll said:
Oh, I love Penny-Arcade so, so much.

Also, did anyone see the news post about PAX? I would give my left testicle to go to Seattle and participate.
Oh how I wish PAX wasn't held on the exact opposit end of the country from me. And how I wish I had the money to fly out there for the weekend and party nerdcore style.

But I don't :(
 
Reactions
40 0 0
#22
If you had a space ship you could fly to Washington super fast and not have to deal with airports. How far are you from Cape Canaveral?
 

figmentPez

Staff member
Reactions
1,334 177 3
#23
I had a bigger reaction to a strip from last week. It wasn't exactly a laugh, more of a :Leyla: And it wasn't about the strip itself, more the news blog that went with it:

Gabe said:
I did just get back from a little vacation down to Disneyland with my family. I am a huge fan of the place and now that lil' Gabe is almost five, I figured it was time to take him. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and decided to eat at a place nearby called Goofy's Kitchen. This is a really cool buffet style restaurant where the Disney characters walk around and interact with the gusts during dinner. When Chip came over to the table Kara wanted to get a picture and I expected the chipmunk to maybe throw an arm around her shoulder. I did not expect him to put both arms around her and pull her into what I thought was a romantic embrace. I said "Hey chip that's my wife man!" He responded by making a loud "Thrbbbbt" sound and hugged her even tighter. It was at this point that I noticed the other diners watching me. I guess someone raising their voice at a beloved character like Chip came as a surprise to them. I backed down and took the picture but kept my eye on him the rest of the night. In the end I'd say the food was awesome, being emasculated by a six foot tall chipmunk was not as awesome.

I have since been told that Chip and Dale are almost always played by women. This has added a new layer to the experience.
So, Sera, have you been secretly working at Disneyland?
 

ElJuski

Staff member
Reactions
26 0 0
#24
Nice anecdote, dude :rofl: :rofl: that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about.


I have a friend that played as Dale when she was interning at Disney through college. Surprised I didn't think about that earlier. All too good. :rofl:
 
Reactions
302 91 0
#27
Hilarious :rofl:

I wish I could go to PAX, but the only way would be to arrange a roadtrip with other people (no way to afford transportation otherwise u_u).

Anyone in the south fancies rallying a group of halforumers up to seattle?
 
Reactions
40 0 0
#28
Ravenpoe would probably need help storming Cape Canaveral, Den. Maybe you could be his co-pilot. :uhhuh:
 
S

Silvanesti

#29
HowDroll said:
Oh, I love Penny-Arcade so, so much.

Also, did anyone see the news post about PAX? I would give my left * to go to Seattle and participate.
Im honestly thinking about it... I should have some extra money by that time... man... I shouldn't, but I think I will.

and the comic? pure awesome :rofl:
 

Espy

Staff member
Reactions
55 0 0
#30
Suicide... funny.

I guess it can be, just like anything but it also can be really painful. If I had just had my brother kill himself this probably wouldn't be funny to me. As it stands I laugh every-time I hear Seinfelds suicide bit.
 

ElJuski

Staff member
Reactions
26 0 0
#32
Espy said:
Suicide... funny.

I guess it can be, just like anything but it also can be really painful. If I had just had my brother kill himself this probably wouldn't be funny to me. As it stands I laugh every-time I hear Seinfelds suicide bit.
Well yeah, I mean, timing and what not. But I think Kurt Cobain is pretty safe ground.
 
Reactions
14 0 0
#33
i still remember what I was doing when I found out Kurt was dead. I had just finished watching Dune (the 80's version, with Sting) and eating a Tombstone pizza. I turned off the VCR and turned on MTV, and Kurt Loader was anouncing it.

I was a huge fan of Nirvana and felt that Kurt's death (still refuse to call it a "suicide") was a great loss of talent to a world that needed it.
 
#34
Krisken said:
I'm not sure it's an issue of too soon. Just not sure anything is funny about suicide.
When I worked on the suicide hotline we laughed a lot. Amongst ourselves and with callers. Humor and laughter can be a good way to work through a difficult subject. I'm not saying it's the first place I went with any given caller, but you'd be surprised how many genuinely suicidal people would call up and we'd end up laughing. Dark humor, sure, but any port in a storm.

As for this strip, I concur: :rofl:
 

ElJuski

Staff member
Reactions
26 0 0
#35
ZenMonkey said:
Krisken said:
I'm not sure it's an issue of too soon. Just not sure anything is funny about suicide.
When I worked on the suicide hotline we laughed a lot. Amongst ourselves and with callers. Humor and laughter can be a good way to work through a difficult subject. I'm not saying it's the first place I went with any given caller, but you'd be surprised how many genuinely suicidal people would call up and we'd end up laughing. Dark humor, sure, but any port in a storm.

As for this strip, I concur: :rofl:
Indubitably!


I was a huge fan of Nirvana and felt that Kurt's death (still refuse to call it a "suicide") was a great loss of talent to a world that needed it.
He shot himself in the face with a shotgun. Premeditated, to end his own life. It's a suicide. Dressing it up as anything else is just useless denial.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top