Pen & Paper Role Playing Games

Fighting a young white dragon tonight, everyone had unleashed on it (we're level 3ish), the monk "I'm going to whack it with my stick!" DM: "you're going to bibbity bobbity bop it with a stick?!" Monk: "maybe not"
I can't tell if your DM is Higgins or Higgins impersonating Bill Cosby.

I can't tell if your DM is Higgins or Higgins impersonating Bill Cosby.
Surprisingly, not Higgins in this case. This was at a different game that @Eriol DMs 1/2 the time and another guy DMs the other 1/2. It's... interesting.

We may have committed an act of genocide last night against a bunch of helpless goblin commoners. It was near the end of the session, and I'm a little fuzzy on exactly what went down.

If all you kids haven't picked up a copy of Art and Arcana, you're doing yourself a disservice. Might be the prettiest, most interesting D&D related book ever printed. It's a God damn masterpiece.

Again with the goblin commoner genocide! This group is brutal. One of the players has a hated race feature of "goblin" and they are super committed to that rp-ing feature.

Again, thanks for hipping me onto this Dei. It just came in the mail today. I was like, "What the fuck is this? Another book I don't remember ordering."

20181026_183154.jpg

It's a phenomenally gorgeous book. It's been an awesome week for me when it comes to D&D books.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dei

Really looking forward to this expansion. The middle tiers have some good stuff for people that don't already own the DCC rulebook.

Played an Adventure League session this afternoon for the first time. Our DM had us start our characters at Level 2. I ended up making a Firbolg Barbarian/Druid with a Native American flare to him, saying his clan had a symbiotic kinship with a human tribe of a similar nature. Had him be the sole survivor of an attack of unknown entities on the two peoples thanks to his human friend pushing him out of the way down an steep embankment, knocking him unconscious. Had a lot of fun, even had an old timer who seemed to suffer from Parkinson's join us, and he was rolling insane with his fighter!

Played an Adventure League session this afternoon for the first time. Our DM had us start our characters at Level 2. I ended up making a Firbolg Barbarian/Druid with a Native American flare to him, saying his clan had a symbiotic kinship with a human tribe of a similar nature. Had him be the sole survivor of an attack of unknown entities on the two peoples thanks to his human friend pushing him out of the way down an steep embankment, knocking him unconscious. Had a lot of fun, even had an old timer who seemed to suffer from Parkinson's join us, and he was rolling insane with his fighter!
If they started you at level 2, they are "bending the rules" more than a bit on Adventurer's League rules. Some other DMs will ban your character from their table since they didn't start at 1. If you don't advertise it though, nobody will care. I'm just warning you that it could be a thing.

And I have no idea what would happen at "more organized" events, like Epics. Do they review everybody's sheets there?

I'm glad you had fun man, I'm just worried about your character's future, that's all. I want you to KEEP having fun. Many AL rules are (unfortunately) about not having fun.

Just finished our first story arc today. Really enjoying my Firbolg Barbarian Druid, changing into a bear then raging into battle is nice. My brother has a Human Divine Sorcerer Paladin and his wife is a Tabaxi Arcane Trickster Rogue.

Ran a second session for a friend of mine (who hasn't played since 2E in the 80s), his sons (15 and 8), and my son (10) - playing through the "Lost Love" saga available on DMs guild. Currently playing through the second adventure ("The Parched Moss") so they were a group of 3x 2nd level human fighters (the kids), a 2nd level human cleric (my friend), and a npc 1st level human wizard (from the adventure). I haven't run anything in D&D since the 3.5 Ed days about 8 years ago, so I'm no expert at running, but I almost killed one of the kid's characters.

They came upon two worgs that were destroying an abandoned wagon. One of the kids moved their fighter up towards the two worgs but none of the rest of the group did. So, the two worgs attacked the fighter and one of them critted on the attack - took them from 24 HP to 3 in one attack. The other one legitimately missed, so they survived the encounter, but they did learn a lesson about how dangerous things can actually be - they'd been kinda breezing through the other stuff in the adventure. They took the next battle against a devil dog much more seriously and they seemed to feel a lot more rewarded when they finally took it down. Part of the breezing through is it's their first time playing D&D but I was also rolling pretty cruddy for their opponents until then.

GasBandit

Staff member
One of the kids moved their fighter up towards the two worgs but none of the rest of the group did. So, the two worgs attacked the fighter and one of them critted on the attack - took them from 24 HP to 3 in one attack.
Whuf, sounds like it almost went full "goblin slayer episode 1."

So today our group returned to the local major city after a grueling end to our last quest last weekend. While shopping at a local magic items shop, our Tabaxi rogue (my sister-in-law) decides to start stealing random items. She does so very successfully, and one of the items is a small deck of cards which she proceeds to draw the top three cards from while no one else notices: Throne, Flames, Moon.

She has just activated three cards from a Deck Of Many Things. All three cards disappear in different fashions. Immediately a courier appears to deliver a sealed letter to her. Our paladin (my brother), takes the letter and opens it for her. Because HE opened, HE is now a lord and has inherited a keep about a day's journey away. Suddenly after that, the rogue feels very great, almost as if she could do anything. And then that's when she, the paladin, and my character are hit with fireballs from two barbed demons stepping out of a nearby portal. They inform us that a certain devil sends his regards and begin to attack us.

One latches onto the rogue, and before we can kill him, he rips her apart. With her last dying breath, she wishes she wouldn't die. Suddenly the world resets to right before she died, but with all of our health restored. We are able to defeat the demons this time, and after our wizard interrogates the rogue for a while, he realizes what's going on. She has two wishes left from the "Moon" card, so she uses her second one to negate the threat of the devil and his minions on her permanently. She now has one wish left which she still has not used.

So yeah, was an eventful day today to say the least! :p

Friends group is looking at restarting our long-running AD&D 2e Greyhawk game (mentioned here) after a 3-year hiatus. This time it's not a half-hearted hurrah, the players (sans my ex-wife) are pretty stoked, and there's a new face (old mutual friend) that we'll be bringing in.

Anyhow, I wrote up a party roster to refresh everyone's memory a bit (I'll try and write a "the story up to now" too), and woof! We've had 7 players (3 active, 1 undecided, 3 retired) 11 player characters (3 active, 1 on leave, 5 retired, 2 dead), 2 henchies (both active), and 3 animal companions (all 3 on vacation so they don't get murder-fucked in the Bright Desert). There's so many good memories and stories in these character sheets. For reference, the longest-running character (new characters come in at "party's average experience") is just north of 200,000 XP.

A breakdown of the characters I'm currently playing:

Stalking Bear:
Barbarian/Druid Firbolg. My main character in the first game we play on Saturdays.
Character Sheet: https://ddb.ac/characters/7541171/ah8gBj
Hero Forge Mini: https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=3214434

Vanya Flynn:
Paladin/Rogue Half-Elf. My B-Team character in the first game.
Character Sheet: https://ddb.ac/characters/9704510/1o2RML
Hero Forge Mini: https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=3952466

Rudigar Mughouse:
Monk/Bard Halfling. My character from the second game we play on Saturdays.
Character Sheet: https://ddb.ac/characters/7542373/tTvUd9
Hero Forge Mini: https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=3408759

Dave

Staff member
Had our game today. We meet every other week for about 6 or 7 hours. On the first day they gave me character backgrounds and I've tied them in to the game at various times. There's one guy whose background was that he was from a noble family who had been assassinated by a Halfling assassin. He's been searching since then. He was getting information back that his father had survived the attack, but had yet to travel back home. Today they were going on a quest that was close to the place but not quite all the way there. The place they did travel through, though, was the mountain town Tyrus had stayed and trained before moving north. So he was coming home to a place where he was comfortable and well known. But since it had been years, he knew very few people. The place had grown and fortified. He finally found someone he recognized (I had him roll a percentile as to how close they were - 91) but that guy didn't recognize him and when they talked the guy had a different voice.

Then they caught someone spying on them and accidentally killed the person. They tried to grapple but instead ended up doing too much damage. The person changed upon death. Yup. Dopplegangers. (Changelings in this game.) Circumvented everything the player thought he knew and just threw everything into a blender. It was glorious. And yes, this has been planned for over a year and the realization dawning on his face was amazing. Was it a Halfling assassin? Is his father actually alive or a changeling? Who can he trust?

Beautiful. I got called names. As a GM there's no higher compliment.

Had our game today. We meet every other week for about 6 or 7 hours. On the first day they gave me character backgrounds and I've tied them in to the game at various times. There's one guy whose background was that he was from a noble family who had been assassinated by a Halfling assassin. He's been searching since then. He was getting information back that his father had survived the attack, but had yet to travel back home. Today they were going on a quest that was close to the place but not quite all the way there. The place they did travel through, though, was the mountain town Tyrus had stayed and trained before moving north. So he was coming home to a place where he was comfortable and well known. But since it had been years, he knew very few people. The place had grown and fortified. He finally found someone he recognized (I had him roll a percentile as to how close they were - 91) but that guy didn't recognize him and when they talked the guy had a different voice.

Then they caught someone spying on them and accidentally killed the person. They tried to grapple but instead ended up doing too much damage. The person changed upon death. Yup. Dopplegangers. (Changelings in this game.) Circumvented everything the player thought he knew and just threw everything into a blender. It was glorious. And yes, this has been planned for over a year and the realization dawning on his face was amazing. Was it a Halfling assassin? Is his father actually alive or a changeling? Who can he trust?

Beautiful. I got called names. As a GM there's no higher compliment.

It was Simkin!

I just got the Ack Ink source book. I can't believe Scott Kurtz was so up his own ass he didn't want to be a part of all this.

Oh ACQ Inc! Okay. Yeah... what's wrong with Scott? I mean, sure... he only has that gig because of the PA crew, but you'd think he'd be willing to do stuff for... money.

The book is really detailed on running your own franchise of Acq Inc, including details on the dumb jobs you have, funny backgrounds, really goofy spells (like Jim's Magic Missiles, that don't auto hit, hit for more damage but explode in your face if your roll a 1) etc.

And a sample adventure going through your initial trial job interview.

Since I am doomed to forever DM and never be a PC, MAYBE IT'S TIME I CASHED IN.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ssional-dungeons-dragons-master-hosting-games
It's... not a terrible idea? Lots of people love of the game, but don't have the necessary skills to actually DM a game. People who can run GREAT campaigns are few and far between. People -will- support that shit, or we wouldn't have stuff like HyperRPG, Critical Role, and such. And I'm betting Matthew Mercer could charge thousands of dollars for a campaign and some folks WOULD pay it.