Pecans - What the shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Okay, some of you know I started the better eating thing, and with that comes looking at calorie info...
And holy effing hell, what is up with pecans???

Do you people know how many calories pecans have? Think about it, one cup of pecans. "Oh, I dunno DoomDragon. They're nuts, so probably like a hundred or something."

No. No no no. A cup of pecans is 750 calories. What the unholy sh*t. That is up there with a Grilled Stuft Burrito from Taco Bell. That beats a Whopper with Cheese.

And 87% of those calories are from fat. What the f@#$ are these things made of, lard dipped in butter and mayonaise? And then fried?

For christ's sake, a CUP of mayonaise, which is more mayonaise than you need for ANYTHING, is 800 calories! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?? A CUP OF NATURAL FROM A TREE -NUTS- have about as much fat as MAYONAISE.

OH MY GOD.

A nut is a type of fruit, and contain a large amount of fat because of the stored energy required to nourish the seed into growing into a tree.

Oh wait, was that rhetorical?

Meh. A cup of the dry roasted almonds I have here has 600 calories, 52 grams of fat, and 600 mg of sodium. Lucky for me I only have a 100 calorie pack of them. :p

Nuts are fatty. Nut oils - peanut oil, almond oil, even pecan oil - are widely used as flavor agents, a cooking oil or other uses. Oil means fat. So, am I suprised pecans have that many calories? Nnnnnope.

You think pecans are bad, check out macadamias.

Here, I'll spoil it a bit, they have about 1000 calories per cup and over 100 grams of fat, 16 of which are saturated.

Dave

Staff member
Poe, I wish I could love your post more. But alas, I am at the limit of how much I love it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ha ha ha.. I looked it up... pecans are higher calorie and fatter than even cashews, which were always told to me was like scooping lard right out of a bucket.

On another note, it always irks me how people always equate "natural" with "healthy." Fat is natural. Hemlock is natural. Poison ivy is natural. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it is good.

Nuts are high in fat and calories but many are very healthy to eat (in moderation).

Pistachios for example help lower cholesterol.

And Gas, cashews have some of the lowest calorie to weight ratios of most nuts (along with almonds and pistachios).

On another note, it always irks me how people always equate "natural" with "healthy." Fat is natural. Hemlock is natural. Poison ivy is natural. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it is good.
Conversely, I also get annoyed when people equate "chemicals" with "unhealthy".

Ha ha ha.. I looked it up... pecans are higher calorie and fatter than even cashews, which were always told to me was like scooping lard right out of a bucket.
Comparing plant fat with animal fat is like comparing Sarah Palin with someone who can actually see Russia from their house...

NO not a metaphor! I DON'T UNDERSTAND METAPHORS!!!!!

Also pecans are high in fat, also delicious. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! :Leyla:

Status
Not open for further replies.