Parents Fear Obama's Student Address

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the mole hill they are worried about. It's the volcano they can turn it into.
Meh, it will pass and then next week it will be something else. And everyone on both sides will freak out at each other, at the issue and then at each other for freaking out.
It's just how it works. If the last eight years taught us anything it's that this is the normal volume of politics right now. One side screeches and the other responds. It's annoying, but it's what we get to deal with for the time being.
The only way to really deal with it is to remain calm and not freak out at the people freaking out. It's the only real defense IMHO.

GasBandit

Staff member
Now we'll see if the republicans want to launch an investigation into the "expense and legality" of the speech, like the democrats did for GHWB back in 91.

Now we'll see if the republicans want to launch an investigation into the "expense and legality" of the speech, like the democrats did for GHWB back in 91.
Let's hope not. We really don't need anymore of that kind of BS from either side.

Presidential Speech

So, the presidential speech was aired today for all students to watch. Because of scheduling conflicts, my school will air it tomorrow after everyone's eaten lunch.

I have received so many emails about making sure we are careful to honor parents' requests for those who wish for their child to NOT participate in any of the activities prompted by the speech.

Did he talk about politics? Gay marriage? Health care?

NO

He talked about students taking responsibility for their education!!!!!!! By the parent's response, you would think he'd be wearing a huge fro, tokin' a joint, and bashing God! He's our freaking president! Whether you voted for him or not, whether you approve his health care plan or reject it, and whether you're any other race but caucasian (and who here isn't a mutt anyway), you should at least respect his office (<---my opinion).

What's wrong with having someone tell kids that they need to study hard and take school seriously so they can become doctors, business owners, and anything else they want to be?

As you guys know, I am not a parent (THANK GOD) but I would like to get your feedback on this. Please don't flame my school (as I am sure we're not the only school) or anyone who agrees with the parents who are withholding their children from these activities. I just want to know what you guys think!

I may be a bit biased here, but I really do want to see the other side of the coin.

Presidential Speech

... there is already a thread about this in the Politics sub-forum.

http://www.halforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9026
...yes. I saw that. Maybe my post may seem too similar (I rechecked the wording) but this is more of a "show me a parenting point of view" thread moreso than a political one.

Sorry if I didn't get that across.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Well, I guess it doesn't matter either way.

It's not the mole hill they are worried about. It's the volcano they can turn it into.
Meh, it will pass and then next week it will be something else. And everyone on both sides will freak out at each other, at the issue and then at each other for freaking out.
It's just how it works. If the last eight years taught us anything it's that this is the normal volume of politics right now. One side screeches and the other responds. It's annoying, but it's what we get to deal with for the time being.
The only way to really deal with it is to remain calm and not freak out at the people freaking out. It's the only real defense IMHO.[/QUOTE]
I don't really understand the comparison Espy.

The only way to really deal with it is to remain calm and not freak out at the people freaking out. It's the only real defense IMHO.[/QUOTE]
I don't really understand the comparison Espy.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's possible I mis-understood your statement. I thought you were saying that the real concern was how big a deal (the volcano) people were going to make out of something like this. I was just saying no matter how big a deal is made it's moved past the next week and there is something new for the everyone to freak out about. Sorry if I misunderstood.

The only way to really deal with it is to remain calm and not freak out at the people freaking out. It's the only real defense IMHO.[/quote]
I don't really understand the comparison Espy.[/quote]

Well, it's possible I mis-understood your statement. I thought you were saying that the real concern was how big a deal (the volcano) people were going to make out of something like this. I was just saying no matter how big a deal is made it's moved past the next week and there is something new for the everyone to freak out about. Sorry if I misunderstood.[/QUOTE]
Oh, that part I understood. You're right on with that one. What I was confused on was the last 8 years part. I'm sure there were moments where things were made bigger than they should have, but I think some of the screeching was a little justified. Of course, those moments are less about politics than human decency.

We were justified when we did it. its the otherside who is in the wrong
:rolleyes:
Way to oversimplify.

Speech on staying in school- Not something to freak out about.

Approving torture, starting a war with a country that posed no threat, eroded civil rights under the guise of "protecting us"- justified.

Thanks for playing though. You guys want to get screechy on something he is doing, like specific and real content in healthcare or disagreements with his tax or budget proposals, that's great.

GasBandit

Staff member
Way to oversimplify.

Approving torture, starting a war with a country that posed no threat, eroded civil rights under the guise of "protecting us"- justified.

Thanks for playing though. You guys want to get screechy on something he is doing, like specific and real content in healthcare or disagreements with his tax or budget proposals, that's great.[/quote]

I was unaware that George Herbert Walker Bush was accused of having approved torture, started a war with a country that posed no threat, eroded civil rights, etc.

Somebody's gonna have to quote me though because I know Krisken put me on his foe list because he can't deal with how his nincompoopery falls apart on exposure to light ;)

Dave

Staff member
i think it was a good speech and that the whole thing was blown out of proportion by conservative pundits who were trying to rile people up. These folks like Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Michael Moore, Al Frankin, etc. do MORE damage than those whose actions they are trying to bring to light. Half truths and exaggerations as well as out of context misquotes cause people to become disillusioned with the whole process, which suits them fine because when the people are disconnected they can do whatever they want.

This is another example of why I will never get into politics, even though I've felt the calling. I'd never put my family through the abuse these people go through just to have everything I said or did picked apart and turned against me to further someone else's agenda.

Upon arrival at the school, Obama's motorcade was greeted by a small band of protesters. One carried a sign exclaiming: "Mr. President, stay away from our kids."

What the Fuck!!! I can not stand that type of disrespect for the President of the United States. What is he going to do, drag little Johnny into the restroom for a little man/boy love?

I'd be thrilled to have my kids/students receive a speech from a leader. I've even sat through a terrible speech by Governor George W. Bush when he spoke to the state meeting of the Youth in Government. I did not say a thing to my kids about him, just told them to pay attention during the speech.

You should be thrilled that POTUS wants to go to your kid's school to deliver an address.

I wish that the news would stop calling a bunch of crackpots crying over a speech a "controversy." It should be only a controversy if he does something wrong, like allowing an intern to preform oral sex. Giving a pep talk should never be treated in this manner by the 'liberal' media.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd be thrilled to have my kids/students receive a speech from a leader. I've even sat through a terrible speech by Governor George W. Bush when he spoke to the state meeting of the Youth in Government. I did not say a thing to my kids about him, just told them to pay attention during the speech.
Was this part of that speech?

GasBandit

Staff member
Having read the transcript of Obama's speech, I give it a thumbs up as well. I just wish that his policies (or hell, the policies of ANYBODY in washington these days) was as much about personal responsibility and hard work as that speech was.

I should probably clear something up, in case I misrepresented it in my last statement. Crazy is crazy, no matter what the political affiliation. Whether it's the birthers, people misrepresenting the healthcare bill saying it will kill old people, or the fringe secessionists on the right, or Code Pink screeching their heads off, PETA attacking women who wear fur on the street, or Green Peace blocking boats off the coast on the left.

I'll have easier time listening to the conservative leadership when they actually show some and stop playing to the crazies in their party. Newt took a step in the right direction on this one.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Way to oversimplify.

Thanks for playing though. You guys want to get screechy on something he is doing, like specific and real content in healthcare or disagreements with his tax or budget proposals, that's great.[/quote]

I was unaware that George Herbert Walker Bush was accused of having approved torture, started a war with a country that posed no threat, eroded civil rights, etc.

Somebody's gonna have to quote me though because I know Krisken put me on his foe list because he can't deal with how his nincompoopery falls apart on exposure to light ;)[/QUOTE]

Quoted for you.

Now let me ask you what GHW Bush has to do with the last 8 years? Because if you'll go back up and what Krisken's talking about, if you read the post that Covar paraphrased, you'll see that Krisken wasn't talking about Bush Sr's speech (The hint is that he refers to "the last eight years" )

Also, "GHW Bush" sounds like a sexy designer drug.

At least two Monongalia County schools refused to air yesterday's speech. One principal admitted it was due to political cowardice. The other won't take questions from the media.

My son's school district did not stream the speech live. The reasons given were: The speech was during many kids lunch periods, and they said that they feared that their network would suffer if all the classrooms hit the speech at the same time live.

So, they opted to tape the speech, and make it available as a download. Which is silly since you can get the archived speech from the White House web site, probably in better quality than a tape-to-mpg conversion would be. But C'est la vie.

GasBandit

Staff member
Way to oversimplify.

Somebody's gonna have to quote me though because I know Krisken put me on his foe list because he can't deal with how his nincompoopery falls apart on exposure to light ;)[/quote]

Quoted for you.

Now let me ask you what GHW Bush has to do with the last 8 years? Because if you'll go back up and what Krisken's talking about, if you read the post that Covar paraphrased, you'll see that Krisken wasn't talking about Bush Sr's speech (The hint is that he refers to "the last eight years" )

Also, "GHW Bush" sounds like a sexy designer drug.[/QUOTE]

Krisken is talking about that with ESPY, but it was my interpretation that COVAR was referring to the GHWB case when he said "it wasn't wrong when we did it." My reply was about getting the two conversations mixed.

I just found it amusing that while denying Espy's comments regarding the state of politics in this country (which IMO goes back as far as the formation of this nation), Krisken validates it with his comments.

A

Armadillo

I like how the anger over this whole thing has been spun by the left to be about the speech itself, which nobody but a few true wingnuts were really pissed about. It was the LESSON PLAN that went out ahead of the speech and got "edited" that was causing the consternation. Remember the whole "Write letters to myself about what I can do to help President Obama" thing?

As for the speech itself, pretty good. The values expressed in it were spot on. Almost...conservative. :D

Remember the whole "Write letters to myself about what I can do to help President Obama" thing?
I remember it was voluntary for teachers to use it, not required, and that I can hardly think of a less inflammatory exercise for kids to do. I mean, fuck, thinking about how best to help the country? Yeah, let's not have our children doing that by any means.

Remember the whole "Write letters to myself about what I can do to help President Obama" thing?
I remember it was voluntary for teachers to use it, not required, and that I can hardly think of a less inflammatory exercise for kids to do. I mean, fuck, thinking about how best to help the country? Yeah, let's not have our children doing that by any means.[/QUOTE]
If the question was "how best to help the country," then fine. But the implication is that what Obama wants and what helps the country is the same, which is where the problem lies.

A

Armadillo

I remember it was voluntary for teachers to use it, not required, and that I can hardly think of a less inflammatory exercise for kids to do. I mean, fuck, thinking about how best to help the country? Yeah, let's not have our children doing that by any means.[/QUOTE]

They didn't say "how to help the country," they said "how to help PRESIDENT OBAMA." That's a bit disquieting to people who fear a cult of personality. I agree that this whole thing is small fish, but the whole of peoples' arguments against Obama and his agenda shouldn't be tossed out or demeaned because of this.

but the whole of peoples' arguments against Obama and his agenda shouldn't be tossed out or demeaned because of this.
No. It should be tossed out because of the assholes insisting on openly brandishing weapons at town hall meetings instead of engaging in discussion. It should be tossed out because of the crazies like Beck, Malkin, Bachmann, and whatshisname from Florida screaming "INDOCTRINATION!". It should be tossed out because of people like Richard Steele mocking and humiliating a cancer patient who can't get insurance.

Your argument is one phony birth certificate after another (Taitz, over and over and over again). Until you get the nutcases off the stage no one on the right has any credibility.

I remember it was voluntary for teachers to use it, not required, and that I can hardly think of a less inflammatory exercise for kids to do. I mean, fuck, thinking about how best to help the country? Yeah, let's not have our children doing that by any means.[/quote]

They didn't say "how to help the country," they said "how to help PRESIDENT OBAMA." That's a bit disquieting to people who fear a cult of personality. I agree that this whole thing is small fish, but the whole of peoples' arguments against Obama and his agenda shouldn't be tossed out or demeaned because of this.[/QUOTE]
I think you're seeing demons because you want to see demons.

They didn't say "how to help the country," they said "how to help PRESIDENT OBAMA." That's a bit disquieting to people who fear a cult of personality.
And makes sense to anyone who knows something about child development and education, and isn't utterly blinded by politics or afraid of silly things.

I

Iaculus

They didn't say "how to help the country," they said "how to help PRESIDENT OBAMA." That's a bit disquieting to people who fear a cult of personality.
And makes sense to anyone who knows something about child development and education, and isn't utterly blinded by politics or afraid of silly things.[/QUOTE]

Besides, if you don't like the way Obama's doing things, you'd surely see explaining why doing X is a bad idea (whether X be nationalised healthcare, abortion, or having a Wii rather than a 360) and highlighting the things you think he should be focusing on as helpful to him, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.