Parents Fear Obama's Student Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
They didn't say "how to help the country," they said "how to help PRESIDENT OBAMA." That's a bit disquieting to people who fear a cult of personality.
And makes sense to anyone who knows something about child development and education, and isn't utterly blinded by politics or afraid of silly things.[/QUOTE]

I understand why they would word it that way for children. It would make them feel special to think that just studying hard is actually helping the president of their country. I also understand why it might disturb people, but I think that their intention was to relate to young people.

Listening to the speech right now, and I like it. It's hard to disagree with taking responsibility for your own success and learning from failure.

Cajungal

Staff member
I understand why they would word it that way for children.
I was thinking of you when I wrote that.[/QUOTE]

^_^ Aww, well shucks. I actually remember being a kid and having a teacher tell me something akin to that... that I'm helping the country if I work hard for my future. And maybe Obama doesn't reflect personal responsibility so well in his policies, maybe he does. I'm not going to get into that. But it's a nice message to convey before kids grow up and realize that everyone's corrupted, I guess.

C

Chibibar

I read the transcript just to make sure I understand it. I didn't see any political statement about it. I mean Obama did mention about "yourself, and your country" a lot but that makes sense without the political.

You do well, and you will do well for your society.

Status
Not open for further replies.