Padding for desk edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am having a hard time finding any really good options here so I figured I would see if anyone has found a good way to deal with a sharp/hard desk edge.
I'm doing about 20+ hours of freelance video editing a week at home these days and the hard edge of my desk is really getting uncomfortable on my forearms.
So found these: Amazon product
And these: Amazon product

The second one looks best as far as padding goes, anyone have any experience or thoughts? Because I'm sure it will come up, no, I'm not going to make my own :p

Genius.
Added at: 17:27
sand the corners of the desk to rounded edges?
I'm currently using my very nice and rather expensive art table as my desk (I had to downsize with my office becoming the nursery, couldn't fit 2 desks in my bedroom) and I'm not terribly interested in doing anything damaging to it. Plus I'm going for comfort here and that, while better, still wouldn't provide padding of any kind.

You're leaning on your desk. Stop that.

It generally means your desk is not at the right height or angle.

My experience is that anything on the edge irritates me, because it just hides bad ergonomics with more bad ergonomics - it moves your hands a wrist up away from your keyboard, so the edge you were leaning on is a bit higher, and you have to lean a bit harder in order to type comfortably.

When you are sitting down, your desk should be no higher than your elbows. The fact that you feel the sharp edge means it's more than an inch or two above your elbows, and while softening the edge will make your forearms happier, you're still bending your wrists in a way that is ultimately going to damage them.

Raise your chair, or lower your desk. I could get into making sure your chair is the right height (or has a foot rail set at the right height) to prevent the back pain your setup is soon going to cause you, but baby steps, you know?

Yes, it's a nice desk, and it may be worth something, but [ikea and/or favorite office store and/or amazon] sells what you need for under $50, it'll fit in your space, and you won't need medical treatment for wrist, shoulder, neck, or back problems if you set your area up right. Sell the wrong-fitting desk, or give it to a worthy successor, and replace it.

I'm being serious. It's not worth the pain down the road, and fixing the symptoms is more harmful in the long run. You're a professional, and you are your own boss. Treat your employee well, and they'll be more productive. Don't let sentiment or a poor perspective on "value" get in the way of a reasonable (not even good, but reasonable) workspace. Your tools are important, and you cannot afford to take this lightly.

I actually raised the chair and it does help a ton. Good call.

However, the edge of the desk is still sharp enough to dig into my fore-arms which isn't terribly comfortable. I'm at my work now and it's set up in a very similar fashion but the desk has nice rounded edges, giving it very different feel. I think that cheap baby protection might cut out the annoyance of the hard edge.

Thanks for the recommendation though Adam, I feel like an idiot for not raising the dang chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.