PA now requires State ID to vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last minute my ass, there's 11 weeks to go before the election. That's a long time to get something done that should have been done years ago.
Last minute to you, is not last minute to the folks that are going to be affected by this.

That was the whole point of slamming through all of the recent legislation. Like in my earlier post, THEY BRAG ABOUT IT!!, and the Florida guy admits it. They are ACTIVELY seeking to suppress voters.

The simple truth is most voter fraud occurs before the vote or as they are being tallied, like the infamous cases of dead people voting in elections, the ballot boxes that keep going "missing" in Clark County, FL (or the times they counted votes more than once). Why aren't we running investigations against those people as opposed to restricting voter access?

GasBandit

Staff member
The simple truth is most voter fraud occurs before the vote or as they are being tallied, like the infamous cases of dead people voting in elections, the ballot boxes that keep going "missing" in Clark County, FL (or the times they counted votes more than once). Why aren't we running investigations against those people as opposed to restricting voter access?
Obviously those guys are getting caught. How do you catch people voting under false identities without voter ID laws? How do you even know it's being committed without them?
Last minute to you, is not last minute to the folks that are going to be affected by this.

That was the whole point of slamming through all of the recent legislation. Like in my earlier post, THEY BRAG ABOUT IT!!, and the Florida guy admits it. They are ACTIVELY seeking to suppress voters.
The "bragging" you refer to I've already addressed in a previous reply, and "the florida guy" is under criminal investigation and could be looking to save his skin by throwing people under busses. But all this is beside my point - legitimate republics need voter ID laws like large public swimming pools need lifeguards. Maybe nobody ever drowned thus far, maybe nobody ever will, but it's madness to go without. And furthermore, if you can't get a picture ID in 11 weeks, I'm sorry to say maybe you need to address getting your shit together. No sympathy from me - remember, I'm the guy who also says that enfranchisement should be suspended for those on public assistance until they are no longer on them.

It already takes at least 2 weeks to get your photo ID back from the DMV. That is with just the regular expiration of DL's. What is going to happen when each state faces half a million voters each trying to get their ID's in time for the election?

GasBandit

Staff member
It already takes at least 2 weeks to get your photo ID back from the DMV. That is with just the regular expiration of DL's. What is going to happen when each state faces half a million voters each trying to get their ID's in time for the election?
Where are the statistics showing that each state has half a million voters with no picture ID?

Also, I don't know about you, but I remember at 16 (which was some years ago mind you) walking out of the DMV with my driver's license in my hand, no 2 week wait. But maybe colorado's just awesome like that.

GasBandit

Staff member
congratulations on your privilege
Yeah, I totally had to grease palms and huff out "Don't you know who I am? I know the Mayor! I'm WHITE! TREAT ME SPECIAL!"

Or, you know, just wait around for an hour then get my picture taken like everybody else. See, they use these new fangled things called computers to create, print and laminate them rather quickly.

Or, you know, just wait around for an hour then get my picture taken like everybody else. See, they use these new fangled things called computers to create, print and laminate them rather quickly.
Well, those weren't around for everyone when they got their driver's license. I mean, Dave had to sit still for 6 months waiting for them to chisel his likeness out of stone. That's hard to pull off in 11 weeks :p

Yeah, I totally had to grease palms and huff out "Don't you know who I am? I know the Mayor! I'm WHITE! TREAT ME SPECIAL!"

Dude it's Colorado, everybody is white and entitled.

Really it seems more like a Camera to take the Picture, a computer to select the Picture, a Printer to print the Picture and then a Laminater to put the plastic on it...
But 11 years ago 19 assholes crashed 4 planes and caused a lot of loss of life and then the congress went all wacky and centralized the printing of ID's.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/general/news/dlci.asp

I can't find which act centralized ID's for most states. But all states had to comply with new counterfeiting standards, and what I remember is that printing of the ID's had to be centralized at least on a state by state basis.[DOUBLEPOST=1345759074][/DOUBLEPOST]
Preventing terrorists from obtaining state-issued identification documents is critical to securing America against terrorism. As the 9/11 Commission noted, "For terrorists, travel documents are as important as weapons." The 9/11 Commission Report: Final Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks upon the United States, at 384 (2004).
Secure driver's licenses and identification documents are a vital component of a holistic national security strategy. Law enforcement must be able to rely on government-issued identification documents and know that the bearer of such a document is who he or she claims to be. Obtaining fraudulent identification documents presents an opportunity for terrorists to board airplanes, rent cars, open bank accounts, or conduct other activities without being detected. The 9/11 Commission recommended that the Federal Government work with other layers of government to solidify the security of government-issued documents. Securing state-issued identification documents is a common-sense national security and law enforcement imperative, which also helps to combat identity fraud and illegal immigration.
[DOUBLEPOST=1345759107][/DOUBLEPOST]http://www.dhs.gov/secure-drivers-licenses#1

Maybe it's different for State ID's and Temp Permits, but I have NEVER walked out of the DMV without a card. They do all the printing on site.

When I got mine I got a paper license and my real one in the
Mail 2 weeks later. I understand the concerns about people
Having issues, but why can't they just enact this for 2013? Yeah this election would
Be open to risk, but no one can legitimately claim they can't get an ID with a year of knowledge.

And i thought this "discussion" has been going on for well over a year? Like I thought it came up prior to your elections 2-ish years ago too, with the same accusation of "they're just trying to rig elections!" Well it has to happen at SOME point, and since you guys elect people ALL THE FUCKING TIME, there's NO time it won't impact SOMEBODY.

And i thought this "discussion" has been going on for well over a year? Like I thought it came up prior to your elections 2-ish years ago too, with the same accusation of "they're just trying to rig elections!" Well it has to happen at SOME point, and since you guys elect people ALL THE FUCKING TIME, there's NO time it won't impact SOMEBODY.
If only the founding fathers were smart enough to set up DMV's in 1786.

Well, you COULD enact it with a long period in which it doesn't have an effect. Like, pass the law now, have it without effect for one or two years, for instance. Use the elections in the meantime to do make sure everyone knows in the *next* election they'll need this ID.

Well, you COULD enact it with a long period in which it doesn't have an effect. Like, pass the law now, have it without effect for one or two years, for instance. Use the elections in the meantime to do make sure everyone knows in the *next* election they'll need this ID.
So you're just trying to sabotage the midterms!

Ugh. You're being ironic, right? Right???
Saying that 11 weeks is too short notice and smells fishy is perfectly compatible with, even leads to, saying that 2 years is enough.

Considering how long some of these laws have been being challenged in court... Don't think it's ironic, and is exactly the thing that we'd hear then, jut like when the over the air broadcast switch occurred a few years back. "We're not ready even though you've been telling us about it for 5 years."

Ugh. You're being ironic, right? Right???
Saying that 11 weeks is too short notice and smells fishy is perfectly compatible with, even leads to, saying that 2 years is enough.
Yes, but that is something you would hear. That or you're deliberately creating confusion which would make voters think they need an id for current election. You could have this debate in January and you would still see the same arguments.

I hold no strong opinions about same day registration.
Ladies and gentlemen! (Yeah, the rest of you too)
Come see this, a political topic that GasBandit holds no strong opinions on! A once-in-a-lifetime occurence! Be able to tell your grandchildren you were there! Come one, come all!

:awesome:

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm picturing an owl in a red and white striped jacket and a paper hat. ^_^ That amuses me on Saturday morning.

GasBandit

Staff member
South Carolina's is probably next. Hopefully they get around to Ohio before the election.
I thought they'd already done south carolina in december... and Ohio isn't subject to the Voting Rights Act of 1965, so they're more likely to be left alone, like Philadelphia. It's just us southern states that have to get super secret special permission to change our voting laws from the federal Justice Dept.

I thought they'd already done south carolina in december... and Ohio isn't subject to the Voting Rights Act of 1965, so they're more likely to be left alone, like Philadelphia. It's just us southern states that have to get super secret special permission to change our voting laws from the federal Justice Dept.
From the article.

The decision comes the same week that South Carolina's strict photo ID law is on trial in front of another three-judge panel in the same federal courthouse. A court ruling in the South Carolina case is expected before the November election.
So no, it's still being decided. However, there is now precedent, so it's unlikely to stand. Precedent is everything in law.

Did you know it's racist to remove the party affiliation from the ballot? Kinston, North Carolina knows that now. Because according to an un-elected Judge in DC a) Black people wouldn't know who to vote for, and b) all black people vote democrat. White Knighting racism at it's finest.

There's same day registration? What the hell am I doing taking time off work to go to the DMV to do it? I'll just procrastinate like a real man of my generation.

GasBandit

Staff member
Did you know it's racist to remove the party affiliation from the ballot? Kinston, North Carolina knows that now. Because according to an un-elected Judge in DC a) Black people wouldn't know who to vote for, and b) all black people vote democrat. White Knighting racism at it's finest.
Heh, I remember that. If I had my way, there'd be a quick political awareness quiz to vote - IE, "Name either your district's current representative in the house, one of your state's senators, or the current secretary of state." And that's setting the bar pretty dang low.

Heh, I remember that. If I had my way, there'd be a quick political awareness quiz to vote - IE, "Name either your district's current representative in the house, one of your state's senators, or the current secretary of state." And that's setting the bar pretty dang low.
6% voter turnout.

I'm not opposed to the principal of needing photo IDs for proof of voter identity, in fact, I'm incredibly FOR it. The issue is that they need to make photo IDs readily accessible to those who are poverty level or below.

Status
Not open for further replies.