[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

... did you do that on purpose? :p
I didn't see anyone else mentioning the patch. I was kinda hoping the skins shown at Blizzcon would be out too, but guess that's still slated for December.

Moira is interesting. I had to swap her controls because to Blizzard left is right and right is left. I won't get a real feel for the gameplay until it's not 8 out of 12 players being the same hero.

I mean, she has at least one skin that is BLANTANTLY Bowie. Which means by default she must be comfortable with who she is.

I mean she's the world's leading geneticist. She can literally screw with genes on the fly. Why couldn't she change her sex genes to suit her the way she feels like? Moreover, who cares? She's a total badass new character, and those little balls of shit she flings everywhere are the bane of Hanzo's existence.

I saw that skin, but didn’t think anything other than that they were taking advantage of the character’s obvious outrageousness.
Also having run across her in randos last night, she’s way too slow to justify that running animation, and she doesn’t really SHINE unless she’s being blue-beamed by a Mercy. Otherwise her drain attack is juuuuuuust a bit too slow to really keep her alive.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean she's the world's leading geneticist. She can literally screw with genes on the fly. Why couldn't she change her sex genes to suit her the way she feels like? Moreover, who cares? She's a total badass new character, and those little balls of shit she flings everywhere are the bane of Hanzo's existence.
There are a lot of people who care, apparently. There's a demographic that really cares about things like "representation," and it would seem they've been asking for a trans character for some time. Blizzard's been mum on the matter so far, but, I mean, come on, look at the picture. Your first 3 sentences and I are on the same page.

I just tried to see if I could find any hidden meaning to anagramming her name, looking up the meaning, but nothing stuck out.

—Patrick

and those little balls of shit she flings everywhere are the bane of Hanzo's existence.
And at the end of the day, this is what really matters.

There are a lot of people who care, apparently. There's a demographic that really cares about things like "representation," and it would seem they've been asking for a trans character for some time. Blizzard's been mum on the matter so far, but, I mean, come on, look at the picture. Your first 3 sentences and I are on the same page.
Last year's Christmas comic revealed Tracer's relationship, so maybe there'll be confirmation there. The image you posted seems obvious enough though.

GasBandit

Staff member
Last year's Christmas comic revealed Tracer's relationship, so maybe there'll be confirmation there. The image you posted seems obvious enough though.
Heh, yeah, I remember that and had a similar thought about how they might make Moira's reveal.

Everybody was losing their minds about Tracer being a lesbian, and here I was just despondent that yet another hot redhead was off the market.

Ugg, hate it when I get a sweet POTG worthy moment and then it's replaced with a Junkrat getting a three kill tire. Happens so much these days.

Anyways, my most satisfying game recently was a Mystery Heroes on Horizon. We were on defense and got sweeped at the first control point. I ended up getting rolled to Torbjorn, and woah I forgot how nasty I can be with him. I ended up saving the point almost by myself near the start and then was the bane of the other team. They did anything they could to try and kill me or my turret but we ended up winning without me dying, and I even got POTG.

After the match one guy was so pissed, it was raining salt. He was so mad about us reversing their steamroll with Torbjorn he had to talk shit. So the match cycled and we switched rolls, now on offense. I started as Ana and after a bit of work we took the first point, but a Pharah killed me. Can you guess what I got randomly rolled?

(My turret was back in the doorway, that Rein was super nice about helping me push it forward. So we go clear sweeping of the base)

Needless to say, the salt was volcanic! (or not but that one guy was still pretty pissed)

Pretty sure @PatrThom was there too but it was a week ago or so, and in dad years that feels like six months, but he can atest!

Oh, I was there. You can even see my name go by in the kill feed in both of them, and not as a victim, either.
I can attest that he got Torb both times and cleaned house, and that at least one guy on the other team was very unhappy (and vocal) about it both times.
I can also attest that he was thinking about leaving before the second game, but the timer ran out on him, so he stayed...and the rest is history.

--Patrick

Honestly... the most fun I've had playing Overwatch was during the PvE Halloween stuff. At least then my teammates actually did their jobs.

He's not wrong; the community is intolerable and it makes me not want to play.

He's not wrong; the community is intolerable and it makes me not want to play.
It's really not all that bad in QP or Arcade. Now and then you get a jerk, but other then the rare loss streaks I enjoy it every night.

Competitive Though? Total shitshow. So glad I stopped. I enjoy the game way more now.

Yeah, low-level solo queue is just a roiling mass of people trying to blame you for making them lose.
So really, the only true path to comp is to form a regular posse to play with, otherwise you end up partied up with verbally abusive maverick whiners who probably secretly wonder why nobody answers their friend requests.

—Patrick

I can't hear them, so the only thing pissing me off in competitive is when someone drops because they don't like the character you've selected. Or when they choose a sniper on offense. :p

Getting pretty good with Moira.

Winter event game sounds fun, kind of an Evolve type of game--one team of six Meis against a powerful Winston, called Yeti Hunt.

I can't hear them, so the only thing pissing me off in competitive is when someone drops because they don't like the character you've selected. Or when they choose a sniper on offense. :p

Getting pretty good with Moira.

Winter event game sounds fun, kind of an Evolve type of game--one team of six Meis against a powerful Winston, called Yeti Hunt.

Made the mistake of solo comp yesterday since most of my friend list was empty.

I had someone throw because I chose Doomfist in Oasis gardens.

"Doomfist is the worst toon. Pick someone else or I'll throw."

I go onto play Doomfist and get 3 golds and multiple picks as the team caps the point.

When the bitch realized the team and solo heal mercy was strong enough to carry him, he switched from this throw widow to an additional healer.

I love Overwatch, but I fucking hate this community so much to the point where I get pissed playing randos. Just because YOU suck ass at a character doesn't mean that character's gimped. I do find throwers hilarious when their bullshit backfires, i.e. they suck so bad it doesn't matter if they throw.

Another fun solo comp story.

Queue up and get a rando team for Gibraltar. This guy kept going Bastion and goin in the same way and getting wrecked. Every. Single. Respawn.

How are people this stupid?

Oh he then proceeds to call everyone else trash.[DOUBLEPOST=1513016759,1513016322][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, low-level solo queue is just a roiling mass of people trying to blame you for making them lose.
So really, the only true path to comp is to form a regular posse to play with, otherwise you end up partied up with verbally abusive maverick whiners who probably secretly wonder why nobody answers their friend requests.

—Patrick
Ah! Yet another fun solo queue story from yesterday.

Eichenwalde. I played attack Bastion and literally have 4 golds - helped to wipe enemy team off first point. Pretty much carrying my squeaker team across the first point. Two squeakers keep bitching how I'm playing attack Bastion and how much I suck. My little Dudes, I'm able to sneak and flank the enemy team and pull off 2-3 picks, and you're still getting rocked by them at the choke to the second point. Bastion is not the problem. One of them (Genji of course) keeps charging right in and dying instantly. I noticed none of them are playing healer. I switch to Moira, and they start bitching about lack of heals!

Fucking kids man, they all want to be Hanzo and Genji and just run off to do their own thing.

I seriously think there should be a separate queue for 18+, and faking your age to get in it should be bannable. In *all* online games.
Well, already you aren't "allowed" to have a Blizzard account unless you are over 18. So that is clearly already unenforceable. And most of the assholes I've run into online are not prepubescent, so all it really solves is the pitch of the voice that is being a dick. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, already you aren't "allowed" to have a Blizzard account unless you are over 18. So that is clearly already unenforceable. And most of the assholes I've run into online are not prepubescent, so all it really solves is the pitch of the voice that is being a dick. :p
Just because there are dicks over 18 doesn't mean everyone under 18 isn't a dick.

Also, having an account is different. Blizzard doesn't bust you for letting your kid play on your account, that's not in the agreement. But again, I'm not just talking about blizzard.

Just because there are dicks over 18 doesn't mean everyone under 18 isn't a dick.

Also, having an account is different. Blizzard doesn't bust you for letting your kid play on your account, that's not in the agreement. But again, I'm not just talking about blizzard.
So how do you prove age when every account is set to 18+?

Also, I don't agree that everyone under 18 is a dick.

GasBandit

Staff member
So how do you prove age when every account is set to 18+?

Also, I don't agree that everyone under 18 is a dick.
That's because your measurement device is broken, because you live with under 18s and constant exposure to sub-18 dickery has acclimated you.

As for the rest, you incorporate it into the game. Remember, I'm not just talking about blizzard here. You can have a blizzard account without having any games, after all, and being a kid on your parent's account doesn't prevent you from playing a game (not even overwatch). But to access the separate 18+ queue would require additional verification, and if the kid gets in and plays there, and you get reported and the mod reviews the log and agrees, you're kicked out of the 18+ queue fuh-rev-vur.