[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

Console has aim assist, but I've never seen anything stating PC has aim assist. I just tried to google it, but all I get is Overwatch console threads.

I don't think it has aim assist as much as it has oversized hit boxes.

Gas is just on a "I don't like thing so I must tear it apart" binge the last few weeks.

GasBandit

Staff member
Console has aim assist, but I've never seen anything stating PC has aim assist. I just tried to google it, but all I get is Overwatch console threads.
It is known, khaleesi.

[DOUBLEPOST=1516404534,1516404456][/DOUBLEPOST]
Gas is just on a "I don't like thing so I must tear it apart" binge the last few weeks.
It's not my fault things people like are garbage :p

GasBandit

Staff member
IIRC, there's only been 3 things I've "torn apart" in recent memory, those being PUBG, Console controllers, and Overwatch.

I think I stand pretty secure on those assertions.

I still love me some Vermintide, Killing Floor, Long Dark, and a buttload of other single player games. You're just addicted to the poop hype.

It does not have aim assist on PC, but the server uses a system called "favor the shooter".

It just means that when the server and the client and all that resync, if one of them registers a "hit" it will assume one was made, even if one of them, your client, the enemies client, or the server register a miss. They put it in because they felt in this instance, it's more fun to get a hit that looks like it was a little off, then a clear visual hit that comes back as a miss because the server told it so.

BTW to change the subject, you ever have a night where you log on, play one game, and play that one game so well you just log off, because you worry you will jinx the next few games? I just had one of those. Was playing Mystery Heroes on Junkertown and we were doing pretty good, but then we got stopped by a really slippery Torbjorn on the balcony that my team couldn't seem to deal with because they always spread out, rather then going with a clean push to take him out. I finally killed him with an Ana and got us going towards Point B, but a Widow killed me and it rolled me to Bastion. As much as I love Bastion, I felt like I was going to be fodder considering how spread the group was.

So I decided to go a different way, and spread out myself. I would pop up in windows, stairways, doors, always moving to the next spot, shooting at a few people not really to get kills, but just to throw them off balance (though I did get a few kills too). By the time we passed Point B and were heading to C, the other team was out for my blood. A reaper came at me first and almost go me, but I was able to run to my teammates and they killed him before he could do the kill shot (man healing on the move is the best). Second time, a Junkrat thought he cornered me on a stairway, but I turned around and ran backwards while using the narrowness of the hall to pop him in the head dead. We steam rolled all the way to the end with me just popping out high, then low, then high again, before finally getting ult and screaming out a side door near C, blowing up three of them and getting the win and the POTG.

It was probably my best Bastion play in awhile, so I decided to end on a high note and get some work done. Haha.

GasBandit

Staff member
You guys can call it whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is Overwatch plainly, observedly, has code that mulligans misses for sniper classes into headshots. "Enlarged hitboxes," "Aim assist," "Fruity Oaty O's," whatever.

You guys can call it whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is Overwatch plainly, observedly, has code that mulligans misses for sniper classes into headshots. "Enlarged hitboxes," "Aim assist," "Fruity Oaty O's," whatever.
Once again, there is no aim assist. I encourage to find a single post, dev statement, or wiki article that says otherwise. Secondly, hitboxes are a thing. Dva's "headshot“ box is large, and is part of her weakness. Torb, and until a couple patches ago, Roadhog, had unusually large head hitboxes. @ScytheRexx is completely correct. Overwatch's tick rate, lag compensation and favor the shooter mechanics all contribute to minor inconsistencies between what you see and what actually happens. This is doubly so for replays. Third, there is a reason why Widow is considered one of the most difficult characters to play well at any level (and is often considered trolling if she's picked, unless you're constantly getting picks). Hanzo's arrows have had their hit detection box lessened, although they're still larger than a normal bullet. Ana has never been able to headshot.

Every "good" Widowmaker player I see exhibits a sort of "snap-to" behavior. That can't be coincidence. Not sure what it indicates, though.

Exp for @Zero Esc - It's like the zoomed in reticle starts out somewhere in the vicinity of the enemy, casts about for a moment, and then makes a beeline straight for the opponent's head, as though the Widowmaker player's brain needs a quick moment to identify and determine the location of the opponent's head, and then the reticle is quickly snapped to that location.

So the pattern I see is: Zoom, hesitate, jerk the reticle directly over the opponent's head, fire, repeat. They all do it.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Once again, there is no aim assist. I encourage to find a single post, dev statement, or wiki article that says otherwise. Secondly, hitboxes are a thing. Dva's "headshot“ box is large, and is part of her weakness. Torb, and until a couple patches ago, Roadhog, had unusually large head hitboxes. @ScytheRexx is completely correct. Overwatch's tick rate, lag compensation and favor the shooter mechanics all contribute to minor inconsistencies between what you see and what actually happens. This is doubly so for replays. Third, there is a reason why Widow is considered one of the most difficult characters to play well at any level (and is often considered trolling if she's picked, unless you're constantly getting picks). Hanzo's arrows have had their hit detection box lessened, although they're still larger than a normal bullet. Ana has never been able to headshot.
Couch it however you want, in whatever terminology you want, Overwatch habitually turns misses into headshots for Widowmaker (and Hanzo).

Hah. Looks like the cosmetic update is just around the corner.
When I get a loot box, the loot box is just the ordinary loot box...but its reflection is obviously that of a different red-orange box design. Whoops.

--Patrick

Spankbait strikes again.
The YouTube intro videos are almost all the same.
“Here are all the new ... <GASP> IS THAT A CAT D.VA SKIN??? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...!”
[DOUBLEPOST=1516907196,1516906670][/DOUBLEPOST]...hey, I just noticed that the McCree video above has Mercy boosting the McCree right before he dives off the cliff. Yeesh.

—Patrick