[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

You know, now that I've put an hour or so into playing Doomfist, he's a lot more useful than I originally gave him credit.
He's reeeeeally handy for those times when the opposing team sticks a Torb/Bastion behind a Rein/Orisa. Sure, he may trade, but since his thrust ignores shields, he's a lot more effective than trying to focus fire until you wear down the opposing shield.
Yes, he's a little delicate, and he often needs help getting him close enough to fire, but otherwise he can be like loading a siege ram with champions to take down a castle in AoE2.

--Patrick

If it follows the usual pattern, event items are 3x normal cost. Legendary skins cost 1000, and so legendary event skins usually cost 3000.

--Patrick

If it follows the usual pattern, event items are 3x normal cost. Legendary skins cost 1000, and so legendary event skins usually cost 3000.

--Patrick
New ones are inflated cost; last year's Halloween items are at normal cost. I bought Reaper's last year skin to make sure I wouldn't get it in a lootbox now.

New ones are inflated cost; last year's Halloween items are at normal cost. I bought Reaper's last year skin to make sure I wouldn't get it in a lootbox now.
That seems to follow the pattern. Voice lines from last year's summer event were back to the normal 25 cost but the new ones were 75.
And that means I gotta buy me some skins because you are completely right and I had not considered that fact (because I had NOT checked the price on last year's legendary skins).

--Patrick

NegaMercyZenyaLux?
She got that hadou shinku-hadouken action goin on.
Has a beam like Mercy (but no auto-lock) that heals teammates and which recharges (and heals her like Reaper) by hurting enemies.
Has an orb that fires like Symmetra (without charge-up) but which rebounds and can be either heal/hurt (like a throwable mini-Lucio).
Has a mobility ability that sorta adds Reaper's teleport immunity to Sombra's cloak & run.
Has an ultimate that works like a focused Zen ult, except that it also damages any enemies it touches.
Has a manicure that makes Sombra jealous.

I don't know how the "no auto-lock" will work with people who are hoping for another Mercy/Sym/Winston-type char. I almost see her replacing Ana in a 3Tank/3Supp meta.
His hair really was amazing.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I don't know how the "no auto-lock" will work with people who are hoping for another Mercy/Sym/Winston-type char. I almost see her replacing Ana in a 3Tank/3Supp meta.
Actually from what I have seen on streams the DAMAGE part of her main attack, the one that charges the healing, does have some light lock on. You can see it bend and curve and "latch" onto heroes like Pharah trying to fly, and I am pretty sure during streams they even said it's longer range then Sym or Winston, but the cone of influence is smaller, so you have to have them more in front of you to keep holding that damage. You don't need them entirely in the center though like say, Zarya.

The HEALING though is aimed, as it's sort of a spray type attack which reminds me of Mei's ice beam. It's likely going to be a pretty powerful heal too since it requires charging, and the example of it's power on the website has a soldier just unloading into a Sombra being fallowed by a healing Moira, and the Sombra survives easily.

Also you guys left out two of the best new things.

You know sometimes I wish they were not so intent on the "silhouette" of each hero. I know it's important for game play reasons, but I honestly think it would be really cool if they added alternate character skins for heroes that already exist.

Torbjorn -> Brigitte
Sombra -> Lynx-17

We already kind of have this with the Baldrich skin for Reinhardt, but that was possible since they have the same silhouette. He also has no unique voice lines, which would kind of need to happen for other character type skins (Brigitte talking like daddy Torbjorn would be rather hilarious though).

Arghck.

Soooo I finally got upgraded to Windows Fall Creator Update 1709 Build 16299.xx (which is a mouthful). Everyone else in my house has upgraded to this version, but I've been lagging behind because my machine is older and presumably Msft didn't want to bork it like Bungie.
Well it turns out that Catalyst driver v17.7.1 is not compatible with 1709, you are really supposed to be running at least v17.10.2 (17.7.1 actually does boot and work and all, but I guess there's some behind-the-scenes stuff that really needs to be upgraded).
Well it also turns out that using any version of Catalyst driver newer than v17.7.1 will cause Overwatch to randomly stop responding. This unfortunately obviates competitive play, since dropping out of a match too many times will get you banned.
Soooo now I get to finally update to the latest AMD driver whether I want to or not (I've been holding off because of the above) and HOPE that AMD finally gets their act together before the end of Season 7, or else I have to drastically turn my card's settings waaaaay down and hope I don't crash. Neither one inspires much confidence.

EDIT: It seems the 1709 update pushed me to 17.7.2 whether I wanted it to or not, so that explains my freezing. No help for it now, though, unless I want to roll everything back to 1703...which I don't.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Arghck.

Soooo I finally got upgraded to Windows Fall Creator Update 1709 Build 16299.xx (which is a mouthful). Everyone else in my house has upgraded to this version, but I've been lagging behind because my machine is older and presumably Msft didn't want to bork it like Bungie.
Well it turns out that Catalyst driver v17.7.1 is not compatible with 1709, you are really supposed to be running at least v17.10.2 (17.7.1 actually does boot and work and all, but I guess there's some behind-the-scenes stuff that really needs to be upgraded).
Well it also turns out that using any version of Catalyst driver newer than v17.7.1 will cause Overwatch to randomly stop responding. This unfortunately obviates competitive play, since dropping out of a match too many times will get you banned.
Soooo now I get to finally update to the latest AMD driver whether I want to or not (I've been holding off because of the above) and HOPE that AMD finally gets their act together before the end of Season 7, or else I have to drastically turn my card's settings waaaaay down and hope I don't crash. Neither one inspires much confidence.

--Patrick
My laptop has AMD R6 notebook graphics, and somehow the fall Creators update rolled the driver back to a 15.x.x version, which would sometimes cause random reboots. No warning, just a reboot. I had to run a driver cleaner to get the update to install without causing reboots instead. But the weird thing is, there's no mention of R6 anywhere on the support page anymore.

My laptop has AMD R6 notebook graphics, and somehow the fall Creators update rolled the driver back to a 15.x.x version, which would sometimes cause random reboots. No warning, just a reboot. I had to run a driver cleaner to get the update to install without causing reboots instead. But the weird thing is, there's no mention of R6 anywhere on the support page anymore.
The R6 was part of either the Kaveri or Carrizo lines, and is basically a cut-down R7, so that puts it in the R7***/2**X family, which is essentially the same family I have (HD 7970).

--Patrick

I swear to god I am cursed.

Usually for the free loot boxes I like to play some Arcade. My go to mode is Mystery Heroes since I ain't a fan of the death match style games.

I swear in 90% of my MH games, my team is just stomping the enemies. Few dying, got our ults, etc. Then in the last minute, the other side will get a complete counter-comp to whatever we had, I am talking like us having Junkrats and suddenly the other side is three Pharah's and a Mercy. The rest of the match is just keeps making me Tracer or Genji, and we just get stomped the rest of the way because there is no way to kill what we are fighting.

I was so happy when, during last nights final game, the curse seemed to break for just a bit. It at first was happening like normal, we were on defense and holding without much issue at all, then in the last thirty seconds one of the enemies became a Hanzo and was pocketed by two mercys and an ana, and he obviously was a pretty competent Hanzo because he POTG murdered over half our team. They then pushed us all the way back to the final point and thank god somehow we killed the Hanzo and the two Mercys in the final stretch. We were able to then hold it the rest of the time and won. It was my first and only MH win that night out of seven games.

It's not just you. I see something like that happen frequently as well.
If I see you in Arcade, I'll try to hit you up, maybe we can figure out what it is that keeps happening.
Hopefully it's not just us.

--Patrick

Usually for the free loot boxes I like to play some Arcade. My go to mode is Mystery Heroes since I ain't a fan of the death match style games.

I swear in 90% of my MH games, my team is just stomping the enemies. Few dying, got our ults, etc. Then in the last minute, the other side will get a complete counter-comp to whatever we had, I am talking like us having Junkrats and suddenly the other side is three Pharah's and a Mercy. The rest of the match is just keeps making me Tracer or Genji, and we just get stomped the rest of the way because there is no way to kill what we are fighting.

I was so happy when, during last nights final game, the curse seemed to break for just a bit. It at first was happening like normal, we were on defense and holding without much issue at all, then in the last thirty seconds one of the enemies became a Hanzo and was pocketed by two mercys and an ana, and he obviously was a pretty competent Hanzo because he POTG murdered over half our team. They then pushed us all the way back to the final point and thank god somehow we killed the Hanzo and the two Mercys in the final stretch. We were able to then hold it the rest of the time and won. It was my first and only MH win that night out of seven games.
Yeah, that sounds like Mystery Heroes all right.

For me Arcade goes like this: First two ticks complete and total stompfest in two matches. Third tick before a loot box: takes at least 4 matches to get. Every. Single. Time. I usually do play deathmatches and can't believe how consistent it it.