[Gaming] Overwatch (#boycottblizz)

This video was what made me wonder if the current voice for Doomfist isn't possibly just a placeholder.
The person who handles the voice actors for Overwatch tweeted that once they went to a play starring Sahr Ngaujah, they knew he had to be the voice of Akande's Doomfist.

Rumors are that they may get Terry to voice an older doomfist if they decide to bring him into a cinematic, since there were two others before Akande (though one is dead at Akande's hands, technically.), but he won't be voicing Akande.

When Jack from Tekkan falls in love with Colossus of the X-Men, and their child grows up wanting to play Guile in Street Fighter, but decides to be in Overwatch instead.

Playing randos. Map was attacking on Watchpoint: Gibraltar.
Drew Lúcio...on a team with three Bastions.
It...it wasn't pretty. I don't think any of our team died, and the entire match took something like 3 minutes, tops.

--Patrick

Is it possible to ladder climb in this game from bronze to silver to gold doing rands? Lately even my groups have been sucking.

I dunno, I'm starting to really hate this game based on the fact that I can only carry so far, and end up in the ditches. It's the first FPS where I'm truly frustrated at the lack of competence among teammates.

I main Rein, but Rein completely blows if you have a shitty team. Back ups I play with shitty teams are Reaper/Tracer/Sym/Orisa/ Bastion/ Junk . Like I said, carrying only goes so far. I usually end up with 3 golds on average, but my rating sucks!

GasBandit

Staff member
Is it possible to ladder climb in this game from bronze to silver to gold doing rands? Lately even my groups have been sucking.

I dunno, I'm starting to really hate this game based on the fact that I can only carry so far, and end up in the ditches. It's the first FPS where I'm truly frustrated at the lack of competence among teammates.

I main Rein, but Rein completely blows if you have a shitty team. Back ups I play with shitty teams are Reaper/Tracer/Sym/Orisa/ Bastion/ Junk . Like I said, carrying only goes so far. I usually end up with 3 golds on average, but my rating sucks!
I feel ya. I had to give up the game because of the rage factor, mostly due to the randos we got stuck with. At one point I was in the top 5% of gold medals per hour played, according to the stat tracking website back then :p

But I might still come out of retirement for lucio ball, if it returns for the summer event. I love lucio ball.

Welcome to what is known as ELO Hell. If you want a good competitive ranking, you either have to be so good that you can carry your entire team long enough to raise yourself above the thermocline, or you have to belong to a team that regularly plays together and rises as a unit. My win rate has been steadily increasing since I started playing (I'm at what, almost a 2:1 E/D ratio?) but I just can't seem to get my ranking above the mid teen-hundreds because I keep getting paired with people who are all, "If I don't get to play my main then I'm gonna throw the match waaah waaah," ugh.

--Patrick

Snuffles and I have been bouncing between high gold and plat all season. Its frustrating because I was Diamond rank last season, but we cant get out of this rut. When we play tanks, we're basically holding all the medals. It only takes one team member to screw your whole team.

Every season I start around 2000 I win a crap tone and rise to close to 2400 to 2500. I then get on "those teams" where the one guy refuses to switch to a class that is being hard countered by what seems like the other team, or the one guy who picks the worse character for the map we're playing on, then there's the guy who throws the game because he's asked to switch characters because his choice isn't working. Then there's the only one tank and one healer game or a variation of that. Then I end the season back at around 2000ish

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I just stay out of competetive because I know I'm ether going to get frustrated with the ELO Hell or be the cause of it for other people.

Not overwatch, cause I didn't even ever bother with competetive, but that's what made me stop trying in LoL and now simply sticking to ARAM.

Yes! I climbed out of shit bronze into solid silver last week (1600)! But, I think it was just a stroke of luck as I grouped up with a pretty solid bunch of players and we won like 4 games in a row.

One thing I noticed with this group was none of us "mained" anything. We all switched out to what the situation called for. I think that's a key to this game that a lot of people refuse to get or just miss entirely. No one character is good on all maps and offense/defense (except maybe Mercy). I've been making a point to "main" a character from each class.

Offensive: Tracer , Sombra, Reaper
Defensive: Torb, Bastion, Junk, Widow
Tanks: Rein, Winston, Roadhog, Orisa
Support: Sym, Lucio, Zen

Yes! I climbed out of shit bronze into solid silver last week (1600)! But, I think it was just a stroke of luck as I grouped up with a pretty solid bunch of players and we won like 4 games in a row.

One thing I noticed with this group was none of us "mained" anything. We all switched out to what the situation called for. I think that's a key to this game that a lot of people refuse to get or just miss entirely. No one character is good on all maps and offense/defense (except maybe Mercy). I've been making a point to "main" a character from each class.

Offensive: Tracer , Sombra, Reaper
Defensive: Torb, Bastion, Junk, Widow
Tanks: Rein, Winston, Roadhog, Orisa
Support: Sym, Lucio, Zen
Absolutely. Playing Mystery Heroes gives a good sense of which heroes I'm deficient in and work on.

But it also gives a view of players who clearly only play a handful of characters and have no idea what to do when they're thrust into a new situation. Funny when they're on the opposing team, not so much on your own. Much worse to see in competitive, so you get ride-or-die snipers or Torbjorns who don't know how to play anything else.

I know I need to work on getting better with Ana because I dread any time rando spawns me as her.

We all switched out to what the situation called for. I think that's a key to this game that a lot of people refuse to get or just miss entirely. No one character is good on all maps and offense/defense (except maybe Mercy). I've been making a point to "main" a character from each class.
This really shows up when you're playing random heroes. Some guy will be laying waste to the enemy team, then he'll get killed, then he'll come back as someone else and just...suck. Playing random heroes really gives you a chance to be forced to play as alternate heroes and get to know them better. A friend of mine even has a rule where when he plays QP he always switches to whichever character has the least hours played, just to make sure that he gets experience playing everyone.

Edit: Ninja'd!

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
That's...that's not right.

What's with the twitchy feet, I wonder?

--Patrick
Speaking from my time messing with MMD, feet are usually classified as "IK Bones" (Inverse Kinematic). This means, instead of their position being defined by the angles of joints above them in the tree (which is how arms, hands, and fingers work), the feet are placed at an absolute position (relative to the main centerbone) and the rest of the joints are expected to "figure it out" how to arrange themselves so that the foot goes where it is placed and the whole leg looks natural.

The thing is, the IK Bone joint in the foot might not be in the same place for everybody, because not everybody's foot is the same size and not everybody's centerbone is the same distance from the floor. Thus, if the foot's collision boundaries are squished up against another collision surface (like the floor), the joint may spaz out trying to figure out how to get to the coordinates it is supposed to be at without the foot clipping through the floor.

That's my guess, anyway.