[News] OPM hack lawsuits reach preliminary settlement

Lots of folks (22 million records) had their social security # and other stuff exposed in this hack. Myself included. Basically if you've had a fed background check (for the military, for a cleared position, etc), you were possibly exposed. This is old news..I got a letter years ago telling me I was exposed in the hack. Since then, my credit reports have been locked down tighter than a snare drum.

The new news: After seven years of lawsuits, a preliminary settlement has been reached. If approved, claimants who spent any of their own money mitigating the breach can be compensated a minimum of $700. That's nice--I'm used to getting class action letters in the mail and then receiving like 19 cents. When I got my notification letter, I started subscribing to a credit monitoring service on my own dime before the fed starting offering one for free. So, hopefully, I'll get a payout soon. I'll keep this space updated with relevant information as I become aware of it.

Says a website should be up today (6/13). I suspect I'm part of the exposed, but don't recall if I ever got a letter about it.