Oil Rig Explodes in Gulf of Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, here's to hoping that everyone survives and that the fact that the well was inactive means we won't be waiting months to shut down a leak and clean up the gulf again.

C

Chazwozel

Indeed, here's to hoping that everyone survives and that the fact that the well was inactive means we won't be waiting months to shut down a leak and clean up the gulf again.[/QUOTE]

This implies that the original gulf spill has been cleaned up.

All I have to say to the whole situation is :facepalm:

You know, I'm not usually one for conspiracies and the such....

...but this seems to be happening an awful lot, lately.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, at least this time they say the well is shut down, and what's burning is the stuff in the storage tanks up top.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, at least this time they say the well is shut down, and what's burning is the stuff in the storage tanks up top.
They are wrong.

Coast Guard confirms burning oil platform was in production; unclear where sheen comes from | NOLA.com

Gulf oil rig explosion leaves sheen 1 mile long, Coast Guard confirms | NOLA.com[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean it was derelict. I was referring to what the article you links also says -

Workers on board reported that they were able to initiate emergency shutdown procedures before the fire started
The main article linked from the blurb in the link in this thread's OP said that the well was shut down because of the fire successfully, and that what was burning was stuff that was already up and in storage tanks. I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to imagine some of those storage tanks being ruptured and creating a sheen.

According to NPR a few minutes ago they said that the fire was out and no sheen was reported but they are keeping their eyes open for it.

Apparently Sarah Palin had recently tweeted "If god didn't want us to drill oil he would send us a sign." The tweet was deleted immediately after this explosion. It would be awesome if someone could confirm this.

Well, okay, no, oil rig explosions are never awesome. But still.

Status
Not open for further replies.