Official Halforums Halloween Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

makare

Oh yeah they will rot. Then we will carve more. I just enjoy the carving and the seeds :)

The best year was the year my family carved 15 for halloween night. people still talk about how cool they all turned out.

fade

Staff member
One of my friends has an annual pumpkin carving night for the adults and kids. That's always fun. I will miss the student party this year, though.

My four year old son wants to go as Wind Waker Link this year.
wwlink.png

Toughest thing for me is to try to learn how to build that sword and shield (it's lame to do the costume without it, and it's impossible to buy anything close to that without overpaying).

GasBandit

Staff member
My four year old son wants to go as Wind Waker Link this year.
View attachment 2824
Toughest thing for me is to try to learn how to build that sword and shield (it's lame to do the costume without it, and it's impossible to buy anything close to that without overpaying).
When I was a kid I went as link from Zelda 1. Made the shield by painting over a shield I got at the renaissance festival.

M

makare

I love halloween stuff. I like things about Addams Family level spooky though. I am easily freaked out by scary things and I have nightmares :(

I wanted to do a steam punk cosutme but it looks like funds and time may not be on my side. Maybe I'll do something real simple and not 'period' authentic?

Man I don't know if I'll be able to do anything this year. A co-worker is going on vacation that week and my folks will be out of town and presumably need someone to dog/house sit until the 31st.

IF those don't fun block me I'd probably go to Austin again. I hope I can since I haven't been back in a year. I'll have the money to put together a good costume this year (thinking mario) but I don't want to waste it if I can't actually do anything. I guess in a worst case scenario I can just party here?

I am thinking of going as Nyan Cat, or Rusty Venture, but I think getting a poptart body will be less hassle then trying to fit my hair under a bald cap.

I really enjoy making costumes but I don't know that I have the time nor the money to do it this year. Since District 9 was released I've wanted to try my hand at making an alien hand and go as Wikus but I feel like it's been so long since the movie that it'd be pointless.

I'll probably be working. :(

I'm ATTEMPTING to take some time off, but we'll see if that actually gets to happen this year.

Steampunk seems to be a sub-theme for some folks here... steampunk policeman. Hmmm...

.... Interesting concept, but I don't think I have the legs to make that work...

(I mean, I _DO_, but I'd have to shave, and that makes me feel all grody, the first dozen times or so)

My friend and I are now trying to gather a group of people to all go as the seven Duffs, from the Simpsons. She thinks we can do it, I honestly have little faith and am trying to think of a back up plan.

Went shopping a bit, organized a bit. I'm probably going to dress up as Robin Hood... there's a nice one that looks a bit.... Ezio like and I think I'd look amazing in it.

A

aquariusmediaaseo

Good thread . I like the suggestions of all the members. Thanks for sharing it with me. Keep sharing.

I've been asked to consider teaching some make and take project classes for halloween stuff at the local maker workshop.

I'll probably do one for the flying crank ghost, but I need ideas for other props/projects. Something simpler and cheaper would be good. Any ideas?

A friend has a Halloween party that I always manage to miss, some years due to soccer tournaments and last year one of the kids was injured, so I have a bunch or pirate gear or the flight suit I bought last year and I'm really hoping to make that party this year!

Halloween Project A is almost complete. Here she is.... Hot Burning Coals!

Firstly, you take a cardboard box, fold it and tape it so that it provides a solid base. You can perhaps get your hands on some cheap plywood to serve as a foundation but I had none in hand and I didn't want to invest too much money on it. Size is 2 by 2.5 ish.

DSC03110.JPG

Use some garbage bags to serve as a protection to the ground so things don't get messy and the wife doesn't complain.

I went ahead and spray painted it with some generic black paint I found at the one dollar store, it was pretty decent.

DSC03142.JPG

Let it dry for an hour or so then apply a 2nd layer if you'd like, once again, wait an hour or so.

I bought some cheap Halloween strings from the 1$ store (they cost me 1.50 each actually) and I took some red tipped bulbs and put them at the beginning at the line, so that the orange lights will twinkle. I daisy plugged them and tested them out.

I then took a dozen or so Coke type bottles and cut them off the top which will serve as a cheap "bump" for the coals. I then taped them to the cardboard and put the bottles on them. I tested to see if everything was fine once again.

DSC03144.JPG

I placed them in a fashion to provide a "coal throne" for my Witches Cauldron, which will be my Project B.

I then used some expanding foam in a can ($5) to carefully cover the Coke bottles and provide an artsy fartsy landscape. I ran out of foam (they don't seem to sell the MAX EXPANSION foam in these parts for some reason) so I went out and got another one... a bigger one. Sadly, the foam was blue. Not ideal as I prefer white as it can be spray painted better but it'll do.

After one layer

DSC03155.JPG

Finishing expanding foam touches.

DSC03156.JPG

I let it dry overnight. (an hour or two is enough but I was tired and Castle was on)

The next day I started with one coat of paint.

DSC03157.JPG

I let it dry for an hour, letting plenty of air in the garage. Then I applied a 2nd coat.
DSC03162.JPG

I allow it to dry and I tested the lights.

DSC03163.JPG
DSC03165.JPG
DSC03167.JPG

How it looks like in the dark.

DSC03173.JPG

Sadly, no flash does it no justice (this was like the best out of 5. However, to the human eye, it's pretty damn sweet looking.

I will touch it up one more time with paint, then move on to Project B.... "Smoking Witches Cauldron".

Ok Halforums, I'm gonna turn to you all for help with this. What should I be for halloween?
An acceptable costume must follow these guidelines:

A) Can't be expensive. I don't mind spending some money but I'm not gonna break the bank.
B) Has to be recognizable. I dont want to have to explain my costume to everybody I run into.
C) Can't be too hot. That'd just be unpleasant.
D) No crossdressing (I'm male).

So come on guys and be my imagination! I know you can do it!

(Let it be noted that this is my first official post on the forums! But if there's anything to get me to come out of my shell, it's halloween....I have been lurking/posting in the cosplay thread for over a year now though.)

I'm so excited for Halloween! It's my favorite holiday, ever. In my group of friends my hubby and I always host the Halloween parties. The costume contest is a pretty big event for us. (I'm cruel and even make my dog participate - he's going to be the headless horseman's steed this year. Ha!)
I'm thinking we're going to play old school games this year, like bobbing for apples and the like. Probably some pumpkin carving as well. What other fun games do you think we should play?

We've got a projector so I'm hoping we can set it up outside to watch some scary movies projected onto the side of our garage.

I'm planning on being a ghost, which should be awesome. Maybe I can post some pictures somewhere in the wake of the party. Yay! Excite!

We host parties as well... and we're VERY into it as well.

We have several games such as "Tempt your Fate" where people will pick a card (or this year... a wheel of misfortune!!!) and be read out their fates by the party host (me!). Sometimes they'll be lucky and win a small prize. such as a "zombie pack", "candy" "gift cards"... or most of the time, they'll be unlucky and.... well.... have a bad fate. Sing a bad song, perform a lap dance.... eat a nasty looking drink prepared for them.

This year we'll have a few more games such as "So you Ghouls think you can Dance", "Wrap a Mummy" and "Memories of Halloween Past" where people will answer questions after seeing digital portrait pictures of previous halloween parties.

I haven't decided on my costume yet but will probably get it over the weekend. I'm excited.

Dave

Staff member
You should also have random karaoke. This means you roll a die and whatever they roll they have to do that song for karaoke.

Last time I played that I got, "Man, I Feel Like a Woman".

We host parties as well... and we're VERY into it as well.

We have several games such as "Tempt your Fate" where people will pick a card (or this year... a wheel of misfortune!!!) and be read out their fates by the party host (me!). Sometimes they'll be lucky and win a small prize. such as a "zombie pack", "candy" "gift cards"... or most of the time, they'll be unlucky and.... well.... have a bad fate. Sing a bad song, perform a lap dance.... eat a nasty looking drink prepared for them.

This year we'll have a few more games such as "So you Ghouls think you can Dance", "Wrap a Mummy" and "Memories of Halloween Past" where people will answer questions after seeing digital portrait pictures of previous halloween parties.

I haven't decided on my costume yet but will probably get it over the weekend. I'm excited.
Ah, those sound like fun games! I'll have to get started on construction on them soon. OH, and I forgot to tell you, you're coals and the 'Wheel of Misfortune' look amazing!!

I can't wait to see what you're going to be. I'm pretty sure costumes are my favorite part...

Status
Not open for further replies.