[Movies] Octoberfest (2013)

It's that time of year again! (Well, for me it is.) My friends and I have begun watching scary movies for Octoberfest, we started quite a bit earlier this year since we barely made it through 5 or so movies last year.

And this year, I've finally relented and am letting my friends run wild with their movie choices. I'm a PANSY and get very frightened easily, so I made them pick non-scary movies last year, but not this year.

So far we've watched 9 movies.

The Scream Series
I thought I would dislike most of the movies this year since they would scare me, but MAN, I love this series. So much. The fact that they bring back Neve Campbell as Sidney in every film makes me so happy. I love how much fun it pokes at itself and the horror genre. The fact that the 'victims' fight back against Ghost Face and that he falls over just as much as they do makes it all the more awesome. 1 and 4 are my favorites, followed very closely by 2. And 3 can go suck eggs. Love them, though, will be purchasing for sure!

Friday the 13th (original)
All I needed to hear was that Kevin Bacon was in this and I was on board. Last year we watched the original Halloween, so we thought we'd give Friday the 13th a go, and yes we watched it on Firday the 13th. And it was...enjoyable with friends. I was flabbergasted that NO ONE finds a body throughout the whole film. The killer has to throw a body through a window at the final survivor and it's the first body seen. Watching Scream before this kind of revealed who the killer was before they were revealed, so I wasn't surprised at all. But had I not, I think the reveal would have been great, the rest of the movie however...just..didn't age well, in my opinion. Will probably watch it on Friday the 13th's because that's just fun.

Insidious
This was the first movie was really worried that I wouldn't be able to handle, but it wasn't as terrifying as I expected. The suspense throughout the first half of the film, I really enjoyed. And the black shadow/man on fire was pretty awesome. I even enjoyed the story to a point. But, after the dad goes into the Farther, or was it the Further? Eitherway, after that and the reveal of what was actually going on, it was a lot less scary to me. I still enjoyed it though. And my friends are trying to convice me to go see Chapter 2.

Frankenweenie
My best friend and I are HUGE Tim Burton fans, and fans of just about anything he's attached to. So, this was an obvious choice for us to watch. I don't know where, but I did watch his short film, of the same name, years ago, so I knew what to expect. I'm happy that it was stop-motion and I'm so in love with the Tim Burton art style. I do wish it had been as smooth as Paranorman. It was really late when we started watching, so I actually didn't make it through the whole film, and..I don't find it a loss? I may finish it someday and I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it as much as I wanted to.

Rocky Horror Picture Show
This movie is not for everyone. But I love it, so hard. I can't even...just the fact that Tim Curry and Susan Sarandon had very successful carerrs after this is just fantastic. It's bizarre beyond description. But the music is just so wonderful and I couldn't imagine watching it without having my loyal Time Warp partners with me. This one will always be watched every year, it is now tradition.

Repo! The Genetic Opera
This isn't necessarily a 'Halloween' type movie, but I had never seen it and my friends think it fits into the 'horror' genre. And I'm ashamed I hadn't seen this sooner. It's exactly my type of movie. Nearly everything about it speaks to my asthetic. (I'm even listening to the soundtrack right now.) The story is so interesting and I'm so sad the rights have been sold so the sequel won't be happening. Disappoint. Anthony Stewart-Head as Nathan Wallace is PERFECTION. I'm a huge fan of his and this role is amazing. Blind Mag is by far my favorite character and Sarah Brightman has such a stunning voice, every song with her in it is an instant favorite. (Oh yes, you can expect costumes from this in the coming year.)

We have a lot more movies to get through this year and I can't wait! What movies would you guys suggest? Do you have any October movie traditions?

Last edited:
For the last couple of years, I've done something similar: watching horror flicks all through October. I also enjoy an annual play through of Costume Quest.

I call it...Nicktoberfest!

Dave

Staff member
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. If you don't know this movie, read NOTHING about it before you watch. Same with Cabin in the Woods. Both are available on Netflix and are genre-bending movies.

Oktoberfest*.

;)
Since there's no alcohol involved, we figured we shouldn't spell it the proper way.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. If you don't know this movie, read NOTHING about it before you watch. Same with Cabin in the Woods. Both are available on Netflix and are genre-bending movies.
Watch eeeet!
You want to, believe me!
We've all watched both and LOVE both! They're definitely on the list. :)

Don't even read the Netflix description for Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

And to @LittleKagsin I expect to see you dressed as Blind Mag at some point, I think you would pull it off perfectly.

If you haven't seen Triangle...go see Triangle. (The 2009 movie with Melissa George)[DOUBLEPOST=1380660513,1380660458][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, see Deep Rising and laugh your fucking ass off.

The Frighteners (1996).

To me Halloween is not solely about horror so much as making horror seem silly and fun. For all the ghosts, zombies and devils, it has an innocence about it, which is what makes it so great. So my favourite Halloween movies arent straight up horror movies. The Frighteners gets the atmosphere perfect for me. It's got genuinely creepy bits (despite what the trailer looks like), including most of the third act, but its also very lighthearted and comedic. And it's Michael J Fox and if you don't love Michael J Fox you are the worst kind of monster. And its Peter Jackson pre- Lord of the Rings, which is a period most people are unfamiliar with

I actually ordered it off Amazon a little while ago specifically for an upcoming Halloween movie night/ party and it just arrived at the post office today. I can't pick it up until tomorrow though. None of my friends have seen it before but I love it, so I am excited to see how they react. I watch it whenever I see it on TV. Only this year did I realize it is perfect Halloween viewing though.

Another one that I think gets the tone of Halloween right is Trick R Treat (2007). It is more of a horror than the Frighteners but its still comedic, and the horror is delightfully pulpy.
[DOUBLEPOST=1380681565,1380681522][/DOUBLEPOST]
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. If you don't know this movie, read NOTHING about it before you watch. Same with Cabin in the Woods. Both are available on Netflix US and are genre-bending movies.
:([DOUBLEPOST=1380682042][/DOUBLEPOST]
Since there's no alcohol involved, we figured we shouldn't spell it the proper way.

We've all watched both and LOVE both! They're definitely on the list. :)
Also Oktoberfest takes place primarily in September, ending on the first Sunday in October. So I'd say spelling it Octoberfest in this instance is correct.

Trick R Treat is, hands down, my second favourite horror movie of all time.

I say second because nothing, NOTHING, will ever top Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

If you watch The Frighteners then you might as well watch Dead Alive too for the Jackson combo. If you can only watch one, get The Frighteners.

The Frighteners (1996).

I actually ordered it off Amazon a little while ago specifically for an upcoming Halloween movie night/ party and it just arrived at the post office today. I can't pick it up until tomorrow though. None of my friends have seen it before but I love it, so I am excited to see how they react. I watch it whenever I see it on TV. Only this year did I realize it is perfect Halloween viewing though.
Update: It wasn't actually my copy of the Frighteners that arrived, but a key piece of my Halloween costume that was not expected to arrive for another two to three weeks. The Frighteners still hasn't arrived. I thought it was weird that it'd go to the post office. DVDs usually just get plopped in my mail box.

But I did order both Tucker and Dale vs Evil and Trick R' Treat yesterday morning and they both arrived today, though.

Another film I'd throw into the Halloween pile...

Creepshow

What do you get when Stephen King and George A. Romero collaborate on a horror film? You get a delightfully pulpy and fun throwback to EC Comics and the grotesque tales of terror they would spin.

Ooh, I can't remember the last time I've seen Creepshow. Or Creepshow 2. That's going on the list. And by list, I mean movies I'll be "legally obtaining" from an anonymous friend by the bay.

In the meantime, does anyone remember this particular horror flick? It was about a young boy who idolized slashers like Jason and Freddy and went on a killing spree of his adopted family. Think he had a crush on his adopted big sister. And killed her boyfriend by kicking a boombox into the jacuzzi. I'm blanking on the movie title.

Cabin in the Woods
I LOVE this movie. I consider it the first real horror movie I've ever watched (Yes, I was that sheltered.) And I love it. The premise is fantastic and I love how humorous it is - it's probably why I like it so much. There's no denying that I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan and this doesn't disappoint. Those last 20 minutes durning the 'system purge' is absolutely wild and perfect. Will watch year round!

Mama
So far in our Octoberfest, this is the first movie to genuinely make me scared. The fact that most of what Mama does isn't CGI is even creepier. But, like Insidious once Mama was revealed, I found her less intimidating. And honestly, there were some plot holes that I kind of got hung up on. But, I survived and managed to watch the whole movie. The best is that my friends and I are still quoting this movie a few weeks later. "Mama! Come!"

28 Days Later
Eveyone is always so shocked at me when I say I haven't watched a particular movie, especially horror movies. So when my friends brought this up and I said I hadn't watched it, it was next on our list. I really liked this movie. I loved the feel throughout, the confusion, even the panic. And I liked the uniqueness of the 'zombies' - the infected. And that it's a rage virus is pretty interesting. I also thought it was interesting that it's not just human vs. infected, it's human vs. human as well. Will watch again!

Sinister
This movie scared me before we even started watching it. And I was pretty scared throughout most of the film. I did find the story pretty interesting, fascinating. A few of my friends had figured out the twist at the end about the kids. I pretty much remained oblivious until it was shown on screen. It ended much differently than I thought it would, but I kind of liked it. My absolute rule when watching horror movies is "Everyone is dead." and it applied better than ever with this movie.

28 Weeks Later
Since we all enjoyed 28 Days Later, deciding to watch Weeks was easy. But honestly, it was a bit disappointing. I wasn't expecting my rule to apply quite so much. I liked the initial idea of how they may have a cure, but overall, I just wasn't interested in what was happening to everyone. It still had it's creepy moments and the chaos in the darkened room was pretty intense. I probably won't give this one another watch.

Mama
So far in our Octoberfest, this is the first movie to genuinely make me scared. The fact that most of what Mama does isn't CGI is even creepier. But, like Insidious once Mama was revealed, I found her less intimidating. And honestly, there were some plot holes that I kind of got hung up on. But, I survived and managed to watch the whole movie. The best is that my friends and I are still quoting this movie a few weeks later. "Mama! Come!"
That's about how I felt. The first 2/3rds of the movie are genuinely unsettling (about the highest praise I can give a horror movie) but it entirely falls apart in the third act when Mama is onscreen constantly.

Cabin in the Woods
I LOVE this movie. I consider it the first real horror movie I've ever watched (Yes, I was that sheltered.)
Jesus CHRIST, no wonder you're binging on horror movies. I've been watching them so long, I don't conciously remember NOT having regularly watched horror movies.

Necronic

Staff member
Three that I would put in the "Advanced" category:

Event Horizon: Space horror. Makes Dead Space look like candy land.

In the Mouth of Madness: because every horro movie lost should have at least two Sam Niel movies on it

Juon: because Japanese people are fucked up

Jesus CHRIST, no wonder you're binging on horror movies. I've been watching them so long, I don't conciously remember NOT having regularly watched horror movies.
Yep, I've never watched horror movies in my life until last year. And even then, I wouldn't really consider last years' Octoberfest to be horror, it was a bunch of child-ish 'scary' movies.

I've honestly never liked scary movies, I don't like gore, I don't like the feeling of being afraid, I can barely handle suspense so I see no point in watching horror films. But, I am really enjoying watching them with friends, they're good company!

Also:
American Horror Story: Murder House
Not gonna lie, I am IN LOVE.......with Evan Peters. I really wasn't sure what to expect with this show, but I quite enjoyed it. And all of it. It is MESSED UP, but I loved it. The casting was just...amazing and Jessica Lange as Constance? Perfection. We watched the whole season in 3 days and that's exactly the way I like to watch TV shows (binge and watch it all at once). There were so many mysteries/twists throughout the season that I enjoyed making up theories and seeing if they came to fruition. It was mentioned that Dylan McDermott should play Nathan Drake if an Uncharted movie ever gets made. I'm on board with that.
Anyway, I really had a great time watching the show and I started Asylum last night with a friend. I'm hooked. Will purchase.

Silence of the Lambs
I'm somewhat ashamed I hadn't seen this movie earlier since it's such a cinema classic. But I have finally watched it! And I really, really liked it. The way it was filmed and Anthony Hopkins' performance? Absolutely stellar. I was somewhat taken out of the moment because before she had spoken on screen my friend made a joke that Jodie Foster sounds like a man and....she kind of does. So, we laughed about that for a little while - taking the moment away. The intensity that builds is great and the final confrontation doesn't disappoint, in my opinion. I mean, come on, she has to find a serial killer in the dark?? It was creepy and I'm glad I've seen some more cinema history.

From Hell
I had no idea what to expect from this and I have to say, overall, I really enjoyed it. I found the fantasy elements fun and they didn't take away from the story for me. My friends and I find serial killer cases pretty fascinating so this movie was an easy choice for us. I thought the inclusion of the 'From Hell' letter was a nice touch in the film. I thought the film was an interesting jaunt into the theory of who Jack the Ripper was and I enjoyed that they wrapped things up, when in actuality there was no closure.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
Oh, this movie! I'm a huge fan of horror comedies (it's why I love Cabin in the Woods and Zombieland so much!) so when we watched this I was an instant fan. We agreed to watch it again this year because it's amazing. Just...the absurdity of it all, it's hilarious! Odd fact, the director of this movie also directed the Zombieland series. Anyway. One of the best things about this movie is how quotable it is. My friends and I love to quote movies and this one sure is fun to include. I think it's safe to say we will probably watch it again next year.

Carrie (1976)
We decided to watch this in preperation for the re-make. My friends and I are all pretty big Chloe-Grace Moretz fans and so we intended to see the re-make for my friends birthday. I knew very little about this movie other than the end scene. And even then, I didn't really know what was going on. But I do now. And poor Carrie! Like, I just feel so bad for her and I actually was rooting for her in the end scene as she basically massacres everyone. I think, despite it's age, that this movie holds up. Sure there are some dated things, but overall, it was a great film I thought.

Carrie (remake - 2013)
We couldn't wait to go see this movie, the original fresh in our minds (we watched it the night before we went to see this one). And it didn't disappoint. At all. The funny gripe I hear from a lot of people is that it's too close to the original. Really? Really? Because last time I checked both films were made from the same source material, so of course there will be many many similarities. I honestly liked both films. They both have their merits. I felt this one portrayed just how crazy Carrie's mom is a bit better (all of her self harm and getting pleasure from it). And it gave a little more build up for Carrie's powers. In the original, she barely uses the telekenisis and then at the prom all of a sudden she has full control of everything. In this one, it showed Carrie practising her skills and building up to moving larger objects. The end scene was fantastic and I felt this one was more satisfying. Overall, I really liked it and I'm glad I saw it.

Silence of the Lambs
I'm somewhat ashamed I hadn't seen this movie earlier since it's such a cinema classic. But I have finally watched it! And I really, really liked it. The way it was filmed and Anthony Hopkins' performance? Absolutely stellar. I was somewhat taken out of the moment because before she had spoken on screen my friend made a joke that Jodie Foster sounds like a man and....she kind of does. So, we laughed about that for a little while - taking the moment away. The intensity that builds is great and the final confrontation doesn't disappoint, in my opinion. I mean, come on, she has to find a serial killer in the dark?? It was creepy and I'm glad I've seen some more cinema history.

I'd recommend watching Red Dragon if you liked this movie. It's based off the novel that preceeds Silence of the Lambs.

From Hell
I had no idea what to expect from this and I have to say, overall, I really enjoyed it. I found the fantasy elements fun and they didn't take away from the story for me. My friends and I find serial killer cases pretty fascinating so this movie was an easy choice for us. I thought the inclusion of the 'From Hell' letter was a nice touch in the film. I thought the film was an interesting jaunt into the theory of who Jack the Ripper was and I enjoyed that they wrapped things up, when in actuality there was no closure.

This movie is one of my favorite speculative history movies.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
Oh, this movie! I'm a huge fan of horror comedies (it's why I love Cabin in the Woods and Zombieland so much!) so when we watched this I was an instant fan. We agreed to watch it again this year because it's amazing. Just...the absurdity of it all, it's hilarious! Odd fact, the director of this movie also directed the Zombieland series. Anyway. One of the best things about this movie is how quotable it is. My friends and I love to quote movies and this one sure is fun to include. I think it's safe to say we will probably watch it again next year.

I've said multiple times that this movie is awesome and everyone should see it without reading anything about it before hand.

Carrie (1976)
We decided to watch this in preperation for the re-make. My friends and I are all pretty big Chloe-Grace Moretz fans and so we intended to see the re-make for my friends birthday. I knew very little about this movie other than the end scene. And even then, I didn't really know what was going on. But I do now. And poor Carrie! Like, I just feel so bad for her and I actually was rooting for her in the end scene as she basically massacres everyone. I think, despite it's age, that this movie holds up. Sure there are some dated things, but overall, it was a great film I thought.

The original movie was damn faithful to the novel for the most part, so it's always had a special place in my heart. I loved Sissy Spacek as Carrie.

Carrie (remake - 2013)
We couldn't wait to go see this movie, the original fresh in our minds (we watched it the night before we went to see this one). And it didn't disappoint. At all. The funny gripe I hear from a lot of people is that it's too close to the original. Really? Really? Because last time I checked both films were made from the same source material, so of course there will be many many similarities. I honestly liked both films. They both have their merits. I felt this one portrayed just how crazy Carrie's mom is a bit better (all of her self harm and getting pleasure from it). And it gave a little more build up for Carrie's powers. In the original, she barely uses the telekenisis and then at the prom all of a sudden she has full control of everything. In this one, it showed Carrie practising her skills and building up to moving larger objects. The end scene was fantastic and I felt this one was more satisfying. Overall, I really liked it and I'm glad I saw it.
I may actuallly have to go see this now.

I think we're going to finish off Octoberfest this weekend (even though it's November now). I'm not sure what we'll watch, but I hope we give it a good send off.

Frality
I had no idea what to expect from this, my friends just popped it in. And it was kind of interesting. It's not a very action packed movie, but man is it twisted. And I think it brings up an interesting discussion about if you could see all of the evil that people had done, what would you do? Because that movie hinges on the belief that demons are being killed, and not humans. So, it was interesting to talk about if the lead was generally crazy or was he actually seeing the evil. Anyway, I wouldn't really classify this is a horror film, but it was an interesting watch.

The Conjuring
This was the only, the ONLY, movie we watched this year that I wasn't okay with. You know how people in the South don't mess with Voodoo? I don't mess with possessions. As a religious person, possessions is just an area that I don't care to go. So, watching the possession in The Conjuring made me feel uncomfortable and uneasy. What I did appreciate though, is that I don't think they over shared Bathsheba, even after she was revealed. The 'over-sharing' happened a lot in the other horror movies we watched and took a lot of the fear away. But, I thought they did well in this movie. The creepiest moment to me, was by far, the moment when Christine wakes up, then panics because she sees someone in the corner. Just, no. No.

Children of the Corn
I don't know what I expected with this....but I did expect to be at least a little afraid - especially given my low threshold for fear. But no. Not even a little bit. It more just strengthened my resolve that kids are terrible beings. I wish I had more to say about it, but my friends and I just really found the whole film pretty silly.

American Horror Story: Asylum
So, I'm a binge TV show watcher and I will sit down and watch a whole series in a weekend. And that's what I did with Asylum. I watched the first 3 episodes on Monday and then..last night I watched the whole rest of the season with my friend. And I LOVED IT. I also may mention that the rate with which I become obsessed with something is insane. This show is my new favorite thing on this planet. I love everything about it. Even how messed up it is, and I promise you, it is MESSED UP. I'm just shocked that Ryan Murphy created this show and Glee...such polar opposites. Anyway, I love it and am now crying because I have to play the week to week game with Season 3, Coven.

I'm imagining we'll do one final horror movie marathon this weekend and then I'll update accordingly. HNN, I can't believe it's over already! Makes me sad.