Obama calling for more gun control

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't care what anybody says, Arrow to the Knee never stopped being funny. It even still cracks up the little woman every time.

I'm sure, what with all this blaming of video games by people on the left and the right that there must be just a TON of scientific evidence that supports this theory of theirs? Right?

Yes, a PHD criminologist, at the University of Florida, who was presented the Michael J. Hindelang Award from the American Society of Criminology, and whose research was good enough for the Supreme Court to cite as recently as 2008 when they found that the 2nd amendment protects the individual right to keep and bear. What a horrible, horrible source for information gun-crime-related.

Incidentally, that 2008 decision, which ended the gun ban in Washington DC? Yeah, murder and violent crime rates plummeted since, not raised.

What does "keep and bear" mean to you? Have in a collective armory? It means to own and carry. A militia is armed by what they themselves own, they are not provided arms by the armed forces. It's pretty plain common sense - because the people have to be able to credibly defend a free state themselves if necessary, their right to own and carry firearms must be guaranteed. If someone doesn't posess the guns themselves, they can't be expected unfettered access to them.
I know you're gone for the day, so note this whenever. The point wasn't where one keeps them but that "militia" is not recognizable as part of the equation. Why not allow gun ownership only to those that actually ARE a part of a properly trained militia?

I know you're gone for the day, so note this whenever. The point wasn't where one keeps them but that "militia" is not recognizable as part of the equation. Why not allow gun ownership only to those that actually ARE a part of a properly trained militia?
The USA constitution defines the USA militia as every male between 18 and I think 65

Wow. I stopped reading in the first paragraph. I can't stand anachronistic arguments, and this starts out with the tired 'the framers meant'. I' m sorry, were you there? Plus, we could never know . what someone who lived in an era where even flight was unthinkable would do to approach weapons which fire at the speed of todays weapons. Completely irrelevant and pointless in addressing today.

Wow. I stopped reading in the first paragraph. I can't stand anachronistic arguments, and this starts out with the tired 'the framers meant'. I' m sorry, were you there? Plus, we could never know . what someone who lived in an era where even flight was unthinkable would do to approach weapons which fire at the speed of todays weapons. Completely irrelevant and pointless in addressing today.
In that era they even allowed ordinary folks to have artillery capable of killing and maiming many people with a single shot so...

In that era they even allowed ordinary folks to have artillery capable of killing and maiming many people with a single shot so...
That artillery required multiple men to move, aim, and load along with many minutes to prepare, load, and fire, so I guess I don't see that as the same as carrying a firearm with a clip of 20 to 30 round clips which are easily changed.

Interesting investigative series from ABC News on the effectiveness of conceal and carry-

Is this the one where the gunman comes in and immediately attacks the person concealed carrying like they are telepathic? I'm at work and can't watch it right now

Maybe that is how you interpreted it, but from what I saw the conceal carry had a good 3 seconds to pull their firearm and shoot the assailant.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090930121512.htm

A study from a few years ago that came to the conclusion that people trying to use guns defensively were 4.5 times more likely to be shot than those that didn't.
Excellent study. Did they take gang violence out of this study because both the victim and the assailant were carrying illegally? Did they take violence from drug deals out of this study for the same reason? There are a lot of unknowns, they just took people that were shot when they had a gun, but they didn't take into account whether or not the victims were themselves in the middle of a criminal act, they just accounted for people that had guns on them when shot. If it looks like a fish and smells like a fish....

There seems to be so much black or white thinking involved in these sorts of debates.

Ban all guns, ban all violent media, people should never be allowed to have their guns taken away, people should never be responsible for the negative effects of violent media.

I'm of the mind that absolutism in thinking is a pretty dangerous thing.

There seems to be so much black or white thinking involved in these sorts of debates.

Ban all guns, ban all violent media, people should never be allowed to have their guns taken away, people should never be responsible for the negative effects of violent media.

I'm of the mind that absolutism in thinking is a pretty dangerous thing.
so you're saying....the answer..... is somewhere...... in the middle????

Status
Not open for further replies.