Export thread

NVidia 30-Series announced

Dave

Dave

Looks like September is when Dave is doing a redo of his PC.

GeForce RTX 30-Series GPU information:

RTX 3090
RTX 3080
RTX 3070
GPU
Samsung 8N GA102​
Samsung 8N GA102​
Samsung 8N GA104​
Transistor
28 billion​
28 billion​
17 billion​
SMs
82​
68​
46​
CUDA Cores
10496 CUDA Cores​
8704 CUDA Cores​
5888 CUDA Cores​
Boost Clock
1.7 Ghz​
1.71 Ghz​
1.73 Ghz​
Shader FLOPS
36 Shader TFLOPS​
30 Shader TFLOPS​
20 Shader TFLOPS​
RT FLOPS
69 RT TFLOPS​
58 RT TFLOPS​
40 RT TFLOPS​
Tensor FLOPS
285 Tensor TFLOPS​
238 Tensor TFLOPS​
163 Tensor TFLOPS​
Tensor Cores
328 3rd Gen Tensor Cores​
272 3rd Gen Tensor Cores​
184 3rd Gen Tensor Cores​
Memory Interface
384-bit​
320-bit​
256-bit​
Memory Speed
19.5 Gbps​
19 Gbps​
16 Gbps​
Memory Bandwidth
936 GB/s​
760 GB/s​
512 GB/s​
VRAM Size
24GB GDDR6X​
10GB GDDR6X​
8GB GDDR6​
Max TGP
350W​
320W​
220W​
PSU Requirement
750W​
750W​
650W​
Price
$1499 MSRP​
$699 MSRP​
$499 MSRP​
Release Date
September 24th​
September 17th​
October​
Performance Shown:
  • RTX 3070
    • Same performance as RTX 2080 Ti
  • RTX 3080
    • Up to 2x performance vs previous generation (RT Scenario)
    • New dual axial flow through thermal design, the GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition is up to 3x quieter and keeps the GPU up to 20 degrees Celsius cooler than the RTX 2080.
  • RTX 3090
    • Most powerful GPU in the world
    • New dual axial flow through thermal design, the GeForce RTX 3090 is up to 10 times quieter and keeps the GPU up to 30 degrees Celsius cooler than the TITAN RTX design.

Bubble181

Bubble181

24gb VRAM? My pc only has 8gb if regular old RAM :rofl:

LordRendar

LordRendar

Yikes. 500$ for a GPU equivalent to an 20080TI? prices are gonna freaking drop. How nice that I am planning on buying a new GPU.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Been trying to figure out how to post this but thanks to @Dave for plowing ahead.

Good luck trying to get one of the 3090 cards, btw. The US$2500 Titan RTX (the top-of-the-line "Titan" version of the current Turing-based 2xxx-series) also has 24GB VRAM but "only" has 4608 CUDA cores. The RTX 3090 will bring 10496 CUDA cores (that's 2.25x as many as the Titan!) but retail for $1000 less. Heck, even the "lowly" RTX 3070 has 5888 cores (almost 30% more than the Titan RTX) yet its MSRP is supposed to be just US$500. The machine-learning/geological/simulation/molecular crowd is going to eat every single one of the 3090 cards they can get their hands on (and probably take a big bite out of the 3080/3070 inventory, too)...at least unless/until NVIDIA releases a Titan version of Ampere (which could conceivably have as many as 11776 cores, if it follows the same pattern).

Anyway for us mere mortals (i.e., those of us who live at 2K/1440p/[W]QHD and below), the RTX 3070 is probably going to be the one to get, assuming they don't release an RTX-free "GTX 1760 Ti" like they did with Turing. The RTX 3080 and up with their 10GB VRAM are probably aimed more towards the 4K and up people.

--Patrick

Terrik

Terrik

Ok, I like bleeding edge technology, but even I'd have to balk and wonder what I'd do with a 3090. I could see upgrading my 2080ti to a 3080, but who is the 3090 for? Even if I had a 4k monitor (I have a 2k 165hz), the 3080 is more than enough.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ok, I like bleeding edge technology, but even I'd have to balk and wonder what I'd do with a 3090. I could see upgrading my 2080ti to a 3080, but who is the 3090 for? Even if I had a 4k monitor (I have a 2k 165hz), the 3080 is more than enough.
As Patrick said above - it's probably aimed more at people using it for other uses than for actually rendering what's on your screen.

And I think there might be a use for vr rigs, too, given the need for 2 displays with 0 latency.

PatrThom

PatrThom

who is the 3090 for?
@Bubble181 touches on a couple reasons, but aside from the chance to publicly stroke their epeens, it's also the only card right now that won't choke at 8K resolution now that 8K monitors are starting to come out.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

The 3090 might be for doing VR while simultaneously rendering a spectator feed on a wall comprised of 6 or more 4k displays.

And yeah, such video walls do exist already, but right now we're downscaling to spread 4k across howevermany displays there are... but that's only because we don't have the processor power to do 11520x6480 in 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.

Gared

Gared

The 3090 might be for doing VR while simultaneously rendering a spectator feed on a wall comprised of 6 or more 4k displays.

And yeah, such video walls do exist already, but right now we're downscaling to spread 4k across howevermany displays there are... but that's only because we don't have the processor power to do 11520x6480 in 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.
You and I are going to have to have a chat about video walls one of these days.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You and I are going to have to have a chat about video walls one of these days.
Sure, HMU whenever.

Far

Far

I wanted to be silly this gen after skipping last and get the big boy but translated to CAD, the 3090 will be basically as much as the total cost of my current machine. Think I'll step it back and go for the 3080 this time and still be laughing.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Are people going to be using these cards for crypto mining, or is that not a thing any more?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Are people going to be using these cards for crypto mining, or is that not a thing any more?
Depends on the currency. Bitcoin has long passed the point where GPUs are economical to mine with, it's all ASICs now.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I just wish the cards were available to PCPartPicker. I need to get a new MOBO and CPU as well, but I can't do anything about compatibility yet because I won't know anything. I know I should be patient, but I'm just not. And no, I'm not going to wait for benchmarking. Benchmarks are going to be better than my GTX1080 regardless.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know I should be patient, but I'm just not.
Lenovo allegedly lists "GeForce RTX 3070 Ti" containing 16GB VRAM as an option for one of its gaming desktops, and there are also rumors of a "RTX 3070 Super" card (still 8GB tho) floating around, as well.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Lenovo allegedly lists "GeForce RTX 3070 Ti" containing 16GB VRAM as an option for one of its gaming desktops, and there are also rumors of a "RTX 3070 Super" card (still 8GB tho) floating around, as well.

--Patrick
Still be cheaper to put it together myself.

Dave

Dave

Ooh boy. Wish I had $1500 to throw around. Or 8K monitor. Or games that would play in 8K.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Still be cheaper to put it together myself.
I don't disagree.
I was just pointing it out because that means it is even more likely there are card variants in the pipeline that haven't been announced yet.
Also 4K gaming is 100% good enough for the likes of you. :p

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Now I feel personally attacked. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Maybe I'm getting old, but gaming in 1080p at 27" is still plenty for me, I can't tell the difference at that size. Hell, watching movies and TV, 720p is usually good enough for me.

That said, in professional settings, I can definitely tell the difference between 1080p and 4k on an 85" display trying to show documents/spreadsheets.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yikes. 500$ for a GPU equivalent to an 20080TI? prices are gonna freaking drop.
gpusuck.jpg

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

*me with my paltry GTX 1060 3gb

PatrThom

PatrThom

*me with my paltry GTX 1060 3gb
You and Cranky both, man. He's still rocking a 1060 6GB atop a 5775C, and the best I got is a 580 8GB riding atop dual Xeon 5670's.
My son has the best CPU with an i7-6700, but he's piping it through only a GT 750 Ti so he can still use VGA.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Iirc I'm still using a 960 :aaah:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Iirc I'm still using a 960 :aaah:
My main gaming rig is still rocking 1090t and 7970. The Xeon rig is the one I hope to move TO over this weekend finally. Wanted to build a new system this year, but we're already starting to get to the point where that stimulus check had better hurry up and get here already.

--Patrick

grub

grub

I'm still running a i7-4790 paired with a 750ti. It works fine as most of my gaming is console.

Far

Far

I9-9900k and a 1070 here. Graphics card has been the bottleneck for a year now since the upgrade I did but we all knew the new cards were on the way so I didn't bother upgrading it when I rebuilt.

Bones

Bones

i7-6700 and a 1070, not really feeling like the cpu is my issue as much as its time for a 3080 or a 3090 to drive my 3 4k 32 inch screens and oculus rift the 1070 is getting cranky when i try to play anything and run all my monitors at the same time.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm still running my GTX 1070 and as long as it still works, I don't see myself replacing it.

Of course, it helps that I usually play games that are about as graphically demanding as Stardew Valley and the like.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The 1070 was a really nice "sweet spot" card if you wanted something better than the more mundane 1060 cards.
In the 20x0 era, assuming you don't actually NEED what RTX has to offer, the 1660 Ti was THE price/performance leader.
But now that the 3000 series has been launched, they are going to sell SO many 3070s. I'd hold out a bit for the rumored 16GB Ti version, but that's just me.

We're still waiting to see what AMD releases, of course, but if prior history is to be believed, it'll be something at least on par with the 3070, maybe the 3080, it will cost less, but it will use maybe 25-50W more power.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

OH GOOD.

Terrik

Terrik

OH GOOD.

The very next story:

ohboy.jpg

You know, I was thinking about putting my card up for sale today and trying to sell it in a week and get a new card, but I'm not sure if that's wise now. I might sell the card and have no video card until Christmas.

Bones

Bones

The very next story:

View attachment 35249

You know, I was thinking about putting my card up for sale today and trying to sell it in a week and get a new card, but I'm not sure if that's wise now. I might sell the card and have no video card until Christmas.

Dave

Dave

They are saying that the inventory is going to be really, REALLY low. Basically if you don't get yours on the 17th you're fucked until next year. Watch eBay & Amazon for third party sellers at 5x the price. To those people I say "Fuck you and I hope you sell nothing and lose your fucking house."

PatrThom

PatrThom

Basically if you don't get yours on the 17th you're fucked until next year.
What with how many games have been delayed, what's a few more months, really?

--Patrick

Bones

Bones

They are saying that the inventory is going to be really, REALLY low. Basically if you don't get yours on the 17th you're fucked until next year. Watch eBay & Amazon for third party sellers at 5x the price. To those people I say "Fuck you and I hope you sell nothing and lose your fucking house."
i really want the ASUS ROG version and was basically told, "try for the summer" which by that point i may consider a complete new build

PatrThom

PatrThom

I have an acquaintance who's been into Bitcoin and Ethereum mining for many years. He's told me if I want to "get in" to let him know, and he'll hook me up with people who can get me some cards.
But I haven't, because that's not who I am, nor is it the sort of business I want to encourage.

--Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Are they available on BestBuy etc online too or just in stores in person?

Terrik

Terrik

Wonder if the ASUS/MSI/Zotac/EVA etc cards are coming out on the 17th too

PatrThom

PatrThom

30x0.jpg

From reddit, no doubt from some proud coin miner's stash, in case you want to see their relative sizes.

--Patrick

Far

Far

While I planned to get the 3080, I had no illusions of it being anytime soon so I'm okay with this.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I just saw the first couple of RX 5700XTs going for 250€ on the used markets.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Some unofficial, way-ahead-of-embargo-end-date benchmarks of the 3080 are trickling out.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Not nearly as powerful as they claimed it seems.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not nearly as powerful in practice, but are they ever?
Still better from an fps-per-unit-of-domestic-currency standpoint, assuming you want to play > 1080p.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not nearly as powerful as they claimed it seems.
Have further discovered that many of the "2x" and suchlike claims made by NVIDIA are not "2x faster than previous generation" but instead "2x faster performance per watt when compared to previous generation," so yes, some crucial context was left out of many of those bar graphs.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

1599923194178.png

Dave

Dave

I've decided if I am unable to get the 3080 on the 17th I'm waiting on ordering my other parts until I get it. And this is going to be a total overhaul of my system. CPU, memory, etc. Only thing that will stay the same will be my hard drives and even then I'm adding a few more.

It'll be like Christmas in (I hope) September.

Dei

Dei

Husband and I are going to build new computers in December probably, or whenever we can find a 3080. We always build them the same so if something breaks in one we can play swappy parts until we figure out what it is. :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not doing anything until after the elections.
Not because of them, just by then the new AMD stuff should be out and we should be getting some reviews.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I won't buy AMD. Their cards are great but their drivers are frequently shit and break things. So I'll stick with the 3080.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I won't buy AMD.
Okay.
Still gonna wait to see how the landscape ends up before I give anyone my money, though.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Okay.
Still gonna wait to see how the landscape ends up before I give anyone my money, though.

--Patrick
The landscape is I'm poor. Give monies pls? :)

PatrThom

PatrThom

The landscape is I'm poor. Give monies pls? :)
I still have a few LPs I was holding for you before you went and sold your hoard. I can give you them.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I still have a few LPs I was holding for you before you went and sold your hoard. I can give you them.

--Patrick
The hoard bought me my Ryzen 2500 system. :)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Some reviews are trickling in for the 3080, at least one of which might be of interest to people like @Ravenpoe
I can say this: with the RTX 3080, you can run Elite Dangerous at its "high" preset in VR, flip to 120Hz mode in Valve Index, and expect a nearly locked framerate.
EDITed to add Linus and Tech Jesus comments

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Some reviews are trickling in for the 3080, at least one of which might be of interest to people like @Ravenpoe

EDITed to add Linus and Tech Jesus comments

--Patrick
I actually don't like playing Elite in VR. Maybe when the headset displays start coming in higher resolution at affordable prices that will change, but with current Vive technology I find it unpleasant

Dei

Dei

I actually don't like playing Elite in VR. Maybe when the headset displays start coming in higher resolution at affordable prices that will change, but with current Vive technology I find it unpleasant
The Quest 2 might do it, assuming they didn't blow everything on hardware power and sacrifice comfort.

Dave

Dave

8:04. Sold out everywhere. But you can buy them online for $1000+. Fuck these people.

Terrik

Terrik

Im not really sure the 3080 is really that much of an upgrade over my 2080ti at 1440p, now that I'm looking at the numbers.

Dave

Dave

It is for me. Of course I might be able to get one in about 20 years the way this looks. I'm going to go to my local Best Buy and see if they have any in stock physically at 11 am.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

When does it come out?

Terrik

Terrik

When does it come out?
Today, actually

Dave

Dave

8 am CT today. By 8:04 they were sold out everywhere. Bots got them all on all sites.

Bubble181

Bubble181

:whistling:
Im not really sure the 3080 is really that much of an upgrade over my 2080ti at 1440p, now that I'm looking at the numbers.
Just assume it is, then sends your old graphics cards that's just scrap after all to the friendliest owl you know.

mikerc

mikerc

:whistling:

Just assume it is, then sends your old graphics cards that's just scrap after all to the friendliest owl you know.
I don't think Kaepora Gaebora would have much use for @Dave's old graphics card.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't think Kaepora Gaebora would have much use for @Dave's old graphics card.
Well, I was expecting an Animal Crossing response, but I guess Zelda works too. :cry:

Though I was asking for Terrik' s old card, not Dave's.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I will be getting the kids a card for their computer at Christmas. Not this one though :D

mikerc

mikerc

Though I was asking for Terrik' s old card, not Dave's.
Doh!

Dave

Dave

Went to a Best Buy right at their opening. No Best Buy stores had any in stock physically. No cards were shipped to brick & mortar retailers. This is online only, which means the bots got them all.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

This helpful review was left on BestBuy.ca:
8E0B01EF-D2E2-4BA0-AF55-1851B8F51AD1.jpeg

PatrThom

PatrThom

At QHD/1440p, you are pushing 33% more pixels than 1080p. Since the 3080 is right around 30% faster than a 2080ti, that means the performance of a 3080 at 1440p should be pretty much equivalent to a 2080ti at 1080p.

—Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Gigabyte leaks 20GB 3080, 16GB 3070, and 8GB 3060 SKUs.

—Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

And here I am still stuck at 8GB of system RAM...

GasBandit

GasBandit

1600732175345.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh, Linus. You can be such a child sometimes.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Tech Jesus is just plain savage.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Tech Jesus is just plain savage.
Good.

—Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

PatrThom

PatrThom

THIS is the kind of stuff I like to see. People who dig and ferret stuff out.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

If you're in the market for a new sub-$500 graphics card right now, honestly, just wait. Wait a month or two and find out how the RTX 3070 and RX 6000 cards compare to the other GPUs. More importantly, find out how much they'll cost. [...] Again, then: WAIT! Don't buy an expensive new GPU today only to see it eclipsed by the next generation hardware in a few weeks. If you can't wait, our advice is to just try and find any old GPU that still works to hold you over. Even a budget card will suffice, and at least those aren't likely to be completely obliterated before 2021 rolls in.
—Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

MSI has a bit of a problem. It looks like they've been caught scalping their own 3080 cards on eBay.

Dave

Dave

Even the retail prices have jumped to $740 - 800 in some places.

PatrThom

PatrThom

@Terrik

ph3j4klsqwr51.jpg

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Gigabyte leaks 20GB 3080, 16GB 3070, and 8GB 3060 SKUs.

"Oh, you found out about them? Well, fine! Now we're not gonna do it!"

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

RTX 3060 Ti reviews are out.
It's essentially a cut-down 3070, and its performance puts it RTX 2080 Super < RTX 3060 Ti < RTX 2080 Ti.
But its MSRP is only $400 as compared to the 2080 Super's $700 or the 2080 Ti's $1000, and it beats anything else you can buy that's at or near that $400 price point.

2080 Supers are currently selling for $750-$1300 on Amazon, and 2080 Ti's are listed from $1000-$2000.
I wonder how much longer that will last.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Sold out in less than a second. Again.

But you can buy them on eBay for 2-3x the price.

Then there's this gem that makes me laugh.

PatrThom

PatrThom

there's this gem that makes me laugh.
There are a large number of "picture of box" auctions out there. I assume they're equal parts scammers and honeypots.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Sold out in less than a second. Again.

But you can buy them on eBay for 2-3x the price.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

AMD 6900X released. It's about equivalent to an RTX 3080. It uses less power than the 3080, but the 3080 is of course better at ray-tracing. They're all sold out, of course.

Rumors now swirling about RTX 3070/3080 Ti models:

30x0.png

If true, the best B4B cards appear to be the 3070 Ti and 3080...pending final revision and such, of course.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

This thread is now about scalpers.
AMD's Zen 3 CPUs have sold for sometimes 240% of their MSRP (looking at the biggest offender, the Ryzen 9 5950X. The RX 6800 XT graphics card has been selling for within an inch of 200% of its MSRP as well, with a median price over the past week set at $1247 (compare that to the $649 MSRP). The RTX 3080 has been selling at 180% of its MSRP for the past week, but it has been moved at 220% of its MSRP before. The case repeats with several degrees of severity for the Xbox family and PS5 consoles.
--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Nvidia is throwing a tantrum. See link in news thread.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Nvidia is throwing a tantrum. See link in news thread.

I'm really warming to this glorious bastard.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey for anyone who wants an RTX 30x0 card but can't get one due to scalpers, today NVIDIA released their Quadro (oops they're not using that nomenclature any more) er, RTX A6000 card aimed at professionals. It only has GDDR6 memory onboard instead of the GDDR6X memory the 30x0 cards use (meaning VRAM access will be slower), but it packs twice as much of it (48GB) and also has an additional 256 graphics cores enabled compared to the flagship RTX 3090 consumer card.

Best of all, at a MSRP of just US$5500, that means you can probably buy one at only 10% more than what scalpers are charging for 3090s.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hey for anyone who wants an RTX 30x0 card but can't get one due to scalpers, today NVIDIA released their Quadro (oops they're not using that nomenclature any more) er, RTX A6000 card aimed at professionals. It only has GDDR6 memory onboard instead of the GDDR6X memory the 30x0 cards use (meaning VRAM access will be slower), but it packs twice as much of it (48GB) and also has an additional 256 graphics cores enabled compared to the flagship RTX 3090 consumer card.

Best of all, at a MSRP of just US$5500, that means you can probably buy one at only 10% more than what scalpers are charging for 3090s.

--Patrick
What kind of framerates will it give me when I try to run Crysis?

Dave

Dave

PatrThom

PatrThom

Asus accidentally confirms GeForce RTX 3080 Ti with 20 GB of memory

Can't wait for all 12 of these to go on sale in May or whatever.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

furmarktrading.png

source

Also you want to know just how big-business serious the scalper market is getting?
How about this story where scalpers decimated an online retailer's inventory of PS5s before they even went on sale because the link to the product page got leaked on Discord a day in advance of the actual sale?
a loophole was discovered by the scalping group Express Notify, a paid-for Discord server that costs £35 (~$48) a month. The Discord shared links internally, allowing people to buy a PS5 before the general population could.
[...]
[W]ebsites need to be aware that there are now groups out there that will do nearly anything to get people a console or computer component. It is incredibly disappointing to see this happening, but hopefully, this will happen less in the future as a spotlight is placed on the issue.
--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Which is why Dave doesn't have one. Fuck scalpers and fuck companies who don't know how to find their asses with both hands in the dark and can't figure out how to stop robots from buying all the items.

Bones

Bones

Which is why Dave doesn't have one. Fuck scalpers and fuck companies who don't know how to find their asses with both hands in the dark and can't figure out how to stop robots from buying all the items.
Seconded gif here...

Same for me. I want a 80 to drive my monitors and it's a nogo

Far

Far

For real, just let me put my name down somewhere on a list, needing to be verifed by either an ID or deposit, saying I want one so I don't need to keep poking at these stock sites in the off chance someone happened to get stock for 5 minutes. I don't care when I get the thing but the tedium of searching is annoying.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

For real, just let me put my name down somewhere on a list, needing to be verifed by either an ID or deposit, saying I want one so I don't need to keep poking at these stock sites in the off chance someone happened to get stock for 5 minutes. I don't care when I get the thing but the tedium of searching is annoying.
Same basic thing is going on with ammo right now. There's a severe shortage, and bots are buying existing stock and reselling it for higher prices.

I'm kind of reminded of the Cabbage Patch Kids days. For those who aren't old: They were seriously popular, in short supply, and could be resold for many times higher than the purchase price. But it was before the internet, so many retailers did exactly as Far suggests: You got on a list, and they called you to come get your doll. Others did a free-for-all announcement, and people would "Black Friday" mob the stores, often buying dozens for resale.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I really don't get why it's this hard.
Some specialty beers are brewed in very small batches and can catch ridiculous prices - I've seen bottles I have in my basement, bought for €10, go for over $200. This was getting to be a problem for some beers, but had now been counteracted semi-succesfully by limiting sales to one per person, on order of the brewery association. Sure, some shops won't properly check, or they'll sell a few more from the back, or whatever - but a small store suddenly selling 60 bottles a day will get a warning or be asked for proof of 60 purchases. There's still some reselling, of course, but it's pretty limited these days.
Excluding bots and limiting sales to a reasonable number per actual living person would go a long way.

PatrThom

PatrThom

RTX 3060 announced (the kind that doesn't have a "Ti" on the end). Performance is on par with the RTX 2060 Super but its MSRP is US$70 less than the Super.
NVIDIA says they've tuned the card's firmware & software to recognize when it's being used for mining and throttle down in order to make it less attractive to miners, but we will see how effective these countermeasures are, or how easily these restrictions are overcome. Also we will see whether they interfere at all with gaming or other legitimate use.
Most curious thing to me is that the card has 12GB RAM, which is more than the 3060 Ti, 3070, and even the 3080 come with. Is this related to the mining defenses? If not and it's all available for use, that MIGHT make it the best card for multi-monitor setups* due to that large framebuffer. Gonna have to wait for the real-world reviews to come in, though.

--Patrick
*EDIT: For VIDEO, not gaming. Best card for gaming is still 3080 (well 3090 really but good luck finding one).

Bubble181

Bubble181

RTX 3060 announced (the kind that doesn't have a "Ti" on the end). Performance is on par with the RTX 2060 Super but its MSRP is US$70 less than the Super.
NVIDIA says they've tuned the card's firmware & software to recognize when it's being used for mining and throttle down in order to make it less attractive to miners, but we will see how effective these countermeasures are, or how easily these restrictions are overcome. Also we will see whether they interfere at all with gaming or other legitimate use.
Most curious thing to me is that the card has 12GB RAM, which is more than the 3060 Ti, 3070, and even the 3080 come with. Is this related to the mining defenses? If not and it's all available for use, that MIGHT make it the best card for multi-monitor setups due to that large framebuffer. Gonna have to wait for the real-world reviews to come in, though.

--Patrick
I don't car what they do with it - as long as they rpoduce about 5 times as many of them :-P

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Get out of here with that 1-percenter BS. :p

The most popular Team Red card in the Steam Survey is still the RX 580. So I'm set.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, I'm still having no problems at all with my 1060 3 gig. So I'm in no hurry to pander to a scalper to upgrade.

Dave

Dave

Man, I'm still having no problems at all with my 1060 3 gig. So I'm in no hurry to pander to a scalper to upgrade.
The other day a buddy of mine reached out to let me know there were 3080's at Best Buy if I hurried. I went to the page...and just didn't. My 1080 is still going strong and while I HAVE the money (I actually saved for this) I couldn't justify the cost for something I realized I just didn't need yet.

Is this what growing up feels like?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm mostly still okay with my... Err... 760? I'm starting to notice the 4gb of RAM much more, I think.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I've got the 1070, and I'm still more than happy with it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Dude I'm still rocking a 7970.
When I finish my current upgrade process, it's going to be to a 580 I already have standing by (that I think I bought for $175 a couple years ago).
I think it's just that your enthusiasm for getting one has evaporated by now, boiled off by your fury at all the scalpers.

--Patrick

LordRendar

LordRendar

Am playing on a team red pc. 3600 and 5700 xt. Gonna build another pc out of my 6400,the old mobp and rx 480 and gift it to a friend of mine. She wants to start getting into pc gaming. Mostly for Fallout 4 and Skyrim, because of the mods. Probably got more then 1000 hours on both of those games on her PS4.

Dei

Dei

The other day a buddy of mine reached out to let me know there were 3080's at Best Buy if I hurried. I went to the page...and just didn't. My 1080 is still going strong and while I HAVE the money (I actually saved for this) I couldn't justify the cost for something I realized I just didn't need yet.

Man, you should pass on those hot tips if you aren't going to use them. :p

Frank

Frank

Here I felt like a dipshit however long ago I upgraded my video card to a 2080 when what felt like immediately afterwards the specs on the 3080 were shown off for the first time. If I'd actually waited I wouldn't have had the money or the ability to actually get my hands on one for the foreseeable future.

PatrThom

PatrThom

3080 Ti 12GB rumored, should come with the same sort of hashrate crippling as the recently announced 3060 to make them less appealing to miners. It looks like this is a BIOS-level nerf, so driver hijinx are not enough to get around it.
Things start off well enough with the GeForce RTX 3060 showing a hash rate of around 41.5 MH/s, while the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is pegged at 28 MH/s. However, the GeForce RTX 3060 hash rate steadily sinks from its peak to 36.7 MH/s down to 33 MH/s until it finally settles in around 26 MH/s.
--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I'll care when I see it in stock in a storefront.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Cryptominers have already cracked Nvidia's RTX 3060 hash rate limiter
"Give them a week, they'll take off the wait."

Also the limiter really only limits for Ethereum, so there were already plenty of people using them to mine other digital currencies.

--Patrick

D

Dubyamn

Cryptominers have already cracked Nvidia's RTX 3060 hash rate limiter
"Give them a week, they'll take off the wait."

Also the limiter really only limits for Ethereum, so there were already plenty of people using them to mine other digital currencies.

--Patrick
Man I was really hoping that would work so I could spend $700 on a card worth $700 and not one worth $250 which is all the current deals I'm seeing.

Frank

Frank

Just make the fucking cards explode the second anyone even mentions crypto around them.

Not enough to kill, but just enough to maim.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Alternatively, can't somebody please just create dedicated mining cards that are /actually/ better at mining and cheaper than gaming cards, and with a decent supply, so that the miners won't all feel the need to buy all the gaming cards?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

For one brief shining moment, GPUs were obsolete for mining. That didn't last long, though. Good thing I bought my card while the window was open.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Im so glad i got my 5700 xt really chep,before the market exploded.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Alternatively, can't somebody please just create dedicated mining cards that are /actually/ better at mining and cheaper than gaming cards, and with a decent supply, so that the miners won't all feel the need to buy all the gaming cards?
There are already dedicated mining cards in the pipeline, but even if they are cheaper than "gaming" cards, they are never going to satisfy demand. The only way to guarantee that card inventory can survive long enough to actually reach store shelves is for it to cost more money to mine than you could recover on a per-card basis.
So no matter what a card's intended purpose might be, the Invisible Hand is going to push the retail price of any mining-capable card upwards until it levels off just under whatever return people believe that card can be coaxed to earn for them over its lifetime.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Another report that now the hash rate limiter has been completely defeated...by NVIDIA itself.
"Oopsie!" -- NVIDIA, probably.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

6700XTs appear to have been available at their $479 MSRP for all of maybe 3 seconds on launch day.
But that's ok, because there are plenty of them available in the secondary market for about $700.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

GameStop expands into PC hardware, now selling RTX 3000 cards

"When everyone is selling graphics cards, no one will be."

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

I hope this is a sign of things to come.

With declining prices in Europe, the GPU shortage could be coming to an end
The RTX 3080, which has become somewhat of a poster child for the GPU shortage, dropped from a minimum price of 2,299 euros ($2,726) on May 17 to a minimum price of 1,499 euros ($1,777) on June 17. More importantly, there were only three RTX 3080 models available on May 17. Now, the report says there are 24 models available.
Bitcoin crackdown sends graphics cards prices plummeting in China after Sichuan terminated mining operations
Graphics cards from companies including Nvidia and Asus saw prices fall by as much as two-thirds on e-commerce platforms amid China’s sweeping bitcoin crackdown
--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Good news, everyone! GPUs are now at their lowest prices since Valentine's Day!

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Shipments are up ~25% since last year, but that's still not enough to satisfy demand.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

What's that? You haven't seen any of the reviews for the "new" RTX 3080 12GB cards that were released a couple of days ago?
Well, there's a reason for that.

Also the MSRP for (out of stock) board partners seems to be hovering near US$1250? When the original RTX 3080 10GB MSRP (16 months ago) was... US$700?

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

If you aren't a miner, nVIDIA doesn't want to know you, or what you do.

figmentPez

figmentPez

If you aren't a miner, nVIDIA doesn't want to know you, or what you do.
Shocked Elvis.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm still having no problems at all with my 1060 3 gig. So I'm in no hurry to pander to a scalper to upgrade.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's an excellent analogy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know what you're thinking, but this isn't about the unavailability of 3000-series cards.
No, this fine is for their behavior back in 2017, when the 1060/1070/1080 cards were coming out.
No word on whether similar investigations are planned for following years.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

You may see ads for cheap RTX 3060 8GB cards out there and think, "Hmm, maybe I should finally upgrade."
Well there are good reasons you might not want to. The RTX 3060 12GB and "Ti" models should still be fine.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Finally got my RTX 3070. It's in my system and running like a champ. Still have a 1080 that I don't know what to do with, though.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Regular or Ti?
Cuz I mean, if you don't have anyone interested in using it...

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Regular. If that's an upgrade I'd send it to you.