November Artist! Krisken!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in Wisconsin isn’t easy. There are about 4 things a person can do for fun on a weekend. You can either see a movie, go bowling, drink, or find a hobby. Krisken found a hobby. For years he hung out at comic and gaming stores, playing Magic the Gathering and other collectable card games. Nothing ever seemed to keep his interest, though.

In the year 2001 two guys came into the arcade/comic/gaming store where he was helping out. They brought Warhammer Fantasy models and staged a battle between High Elves and Empire troops. As a veteran of Dungeons and Dragons since the age of 12, he was hooked. The first army he collected was Lizardmen. Of course, they were painted awfully, but were a good first try. Next he decided to make a Warhammer 40K army, falling in love with the idea of Eldar Iyanden Ghost army. From there he played Necron, Chaos Thousand Sons, Chaos fantasy, Darves, and Chaos Daemons.

As money became tighter, he had to decide to only collect one or two armies to use and play. To this day Krisken still paints and collects the Chaos Daemons armies and has had the chance to play them in a 40,000 point mega Apocolypse game, which he was told is measly 4,000 points were what worried the other side. He still has his Eldar Iyanden Ghost, Dwarves, and Lizardmen armies, along with a few favorite models he has painted over the years.

So here are some miniatures he has painted with some descriptions of what he has done to change them or add to them.

The following image is a model of the Blue Scribes for the Chaos Daemon army. He created the mountain base using Sculpy and formed the rock by pressing a rock against it. The scrolls are also created using Sculpy.

This model, the Lord of Change, started out painted blue, was stripped of its paint, repainted, put in a snow globe, broken out of the snow globe, and repositioned as seen here. Sometimes a model needs to be destroyed a few times before it finally feels right.

Here we have the Chaos Dragon model. There was quite a bit of work done here to enhance and upgrade this model. Each of the tentacles on the heads was a tail from Pink Horror models. Arrows were added to the wings and the banners hanging off the dragon’s wings were created using Green Stuff.

One of Krisken’s favorites, this is a Waveserpant for his Eldar army. There was no conversion involved on this model, but all of the symbols are hand painted.

This is the Soul Grinder for the Chaos Daemons army. It didn’t do much on the field, sadly.

Here is a Lizardman Saurus Standard Bearer. The bases for the whole army are painted in a water and swamp motif.

This is the Slann Mage Priest.

This is the Necron Monolith. The base unscrews from the model and the top piece lights up. This army has a lava base, which is hard to see from this model.

Wish this image was better, but it is still a nice looking model. The loin cloth is made of Green Stuff and the weapons have magnets to be interchangeable. The face painted is on all 3 Wraithlord and all 25 Wraithguard models.

Well, that’s it for now! Any comments or critiques are welcomed. Krisken will happily reply to them all.

Man, I gotta tell you, I know I said it before, but that stuff is slick son. Seriously, it really makes me want to play that game.

Nowhere in that post did you mention how yummy Kriskens are.

Grats, Kris! :D
Here I thought CajunGal's advertising campaign needed no help!

makare1 said:
Yay Krisken. Finally a worthy showcase for your art.
Thanks! I really wish I had more time lately to paint some more and take pictures of it. I have another model, The Great Unclean One, finished but have had no time to take pictures.

Espy said:
Man, I gotta tell you, I know I said it before, but that stuff is slick son. Seriously, it really makes me want to play that game.
It's really not hard to learn, and with the proper set up getting started is easy. If you are serious about getting into it, there are GW stores all over the place designed to help new players get into the game and give people a place to play the game. They even have painting workshops to help new players out.

I'd also be happy to give any tips and tricks I've learned over the years as well as point people in the direction of sites designed to help improve painting techniques.

hylian said:
Very nice work :thumbsup:
Thanks! I hope when December rolls around and I have some time again I'll be pumping out miniatures again for display in my thread in the art forum.

Kriskens: The only snack that is fucking awesome at painting models.

NOW IN TANGY RANCH!
We were going to be a tennis ball company, but then we got a shipment of potatoes and we rolled with it. (RIP Mitch Hedburg)

Thanks for the compliment Cajungal!

If anyone has any questions about anything in the process (brushes, paint used, customization tools, etc), please don't hesitate to ask!

Cajungal

Staff member
How long can you do it til your hand hurts?

And since I realize how that sounds, I'll just make fun of my post myself:

:unibrow:

How long can you do it til your hand hurts?

And since I realize how that sounds, I'll just make fun of my post myself:

:unibrow:
{Avoids the obvious joke}

Well, it depends on which part I am involved in and whether I am preparing and painting plastic or metal miniatures. Any type of conversion with metal models can be rough on the muscles in the hands, especially if you are relying on shoddy tools (like me!). I painted approximately 70 Pink and Blue Horrors, the Bloodthirster, Soul Grinder, 6 Flamers, 10 Bloodletters, and 3 Screamers in 50 days. That was a marathon painting mission to get ready for a big game.

Typically my hands get sore around the second week if I am not taking decent breaks in between painting. Most of that is from handling the model.

what kind of brushes do you use?
For the basic undercoat colors and dry brushing large objects I tend to use a Masters Touch #10. They're nice and stiff bristles and every so often are on sale at Hobby Lobby. For the finer detail I will use anything I can get my grubby little hands on. I used to use the Testers small model brushes (white bristles) quite a bit, but have used Masters Touch, Parsons, and a few other brands.

When painting miniatures it's important to find a brush that will stand up the test of time and doesn't bend too easily due to the contours on the miniature. If the bristles are too thick, though, they tend to get paint in areas you really don't want to paint!

M

makare

Do you ever put all your miniatures on the floor and then stomp around pretend to be a giant?

How about lying down and pretending to be a captive on a Lilliput post nuclear war?

Do you ever put all your miniatures on the floor and then stomp around pretend to be a giant?

How about lying down and pretending to be a captive on a Lilliput post nuclear war?
Only in my dreams :p

I dread the day when I am the very small man and they are stomping around me.

Which one was your favorite to paint and why?
Oh, good question!

My favorite model to paint was probably the Chaos Dragon. It's a model where I didn't like the color scheme used by the company who put out the model, so I used the yellows and blues I preferred the look of.

For comparison, this is an image of GW's artists model-

While mine looks like this-

There were lots of bits that were interesting to paint on it, like small pink tentacles coming out of the skin, spikes, and even what look like faces in the wings.

So much of this model was enjoyable to paint. In ways it was like discovering new stuff to paint, especially since when a model arrives it is all metal and it's hard to sometimes see all of the little additions made to the model by the sculptor.

In addition, I had decided I needed a rider for the dragon. This required a lot of interesting bits to paint up.

Now that I look at it, there are still additions I'd love to add. Some chains leading to the rider from the heads of the dragon would be a fantastic addition to show the rider being in charge.

There are others I really love and am pleased with, but this one was very fun to paint while I was painting it. At no point did I feel like it was taking too long or I'd rather be painting or working on something else.
Thanks for the question, and I hope I answered it!

I prefer yours. :)

That's a damn Chaotic-lookin dragon if ever I saw one.
Thanks Cajungal! That means a lot to me.

I have taken new pictures of some of the models and requested pictures of the Necrons I painted ages ago. I'll post them up in about an hour or so. So anyone paying attention to the thread, stay tuned!

Ok, for wana10 we have the Necron miniatures he requested in the IRC thread-

Sanguinis of the Blood Angels

Much happier with these Flamers of Tzeentch images. The greens are truer to the actual color.

The Great Unclean One (this is the last thing I have painted as of late). I think I'm going to look into advice on making it look like oxidizing copper (turning green like the statue of liberty) for a more corrupt feel to the sword and chains.

Eldrad Ulthran

Guardian

All 20 Wraithguard

Better pictures of the Wraith Lords (no funny blue tint)

Well, that's it. Enjoy!

Flamers of Tzeentch and the Great Unclean One are my favorites. So spooky.
I know I can tell which models were earlier models I painted compared to newer painted models. I can tell the different techniques I've used and the quality of paint I've used has improved.

Well, as always, if people have any questions or comments, I'm happy to address them :D Thanks for all the kind words so far. They mean a lot to me.

Much happier with these Flamers of Tzeentch images. The greens are truer to the actual color.
My buddy just painted up a demon force, and he said he hated doing the flamers worst. Because of the freakin' teeth. *chuckles*

The Great Unclean One (this is the last thing I have painted as of late). I think I'm going to look into advice on making it look like oxidizing copper (turning green like the statue of liberty) for a more corrupt feel to the sword and chains.
I love the detail here, but I wonder if the oxidizing would add too much green to the model. Unless you flesh wash or ogryn flesh the body, to add browns to differentiate the colors?

Eldrad Ulthran
(obligatory)
What a dick!

My buddy just painted up a demon force, and he said he hated doing the flamers worst. Because of the freakin' teeth. *chuckles*

I love the detail here, but I wonder if the oxidizing would add too much green to the model. Unless you flesh wash or ogryn flesh the body, to add browns to differentiate the colors?

Eldrad Ulthran
(obligatory)
What a dick![/QUOTE]
I didn't find the teeth to be too bad, really. I've painted some really crappy small stuff in the past though. Painting eyes and pupils on 150 Pink and Blue Horrors kinda numbs you to details like teeth! I think the most frustrating thing I've painted over the years (to the point where I was like "this sucks!") would have to be skeletons for an undead army I had years ago. They would break during brushing and just all looked the same. That was mind numbing to do.

Yeah, the green oxidation might be too much for the Great Unclean One. Maybe I'll look into a red oxidation just for color to be different. It's always hard to decide before hand if an effect will be too much (for me anyways).

I'd love to get another LOC to paint up, but for now I have a Keeper of Secrets and a unit of 10 daemonettes to complete my Tetragon of darkness (for use in Apocolypse games).

Yeah, Eldrad is a dick. I never use him. I do like the model though.:)

Thanks for posting Officer_Charon! Any further questions or comments are welcome, and I'm happy to talk tactics (I'm not god awful at the game either).

Yeah, didn't mean to threadcromance, but I saw the amount of work that you put into your minis, and wanted to comment. When I get a moment to set my guys out, I'll see what I can do to reciprocate. I've only been in the hobby since September 07, tho, so I'm still working on my painting style (or lack thereof)

Ironically enough, the fact that I haven't been playing over the last few months has done wonders for my painting - my days off don't work with most of the gamers around here, but we have a pretty active painting group who meets on one of them, and they've been coaching me a bit.

That having been said, as a Demons player, what do you dread seeing in:
a) Space Marines
b) CSM
c) IG?

Yeah, didn't mean to threadcromance, but I saw the amount of work that you put into your minis, and wanted to comment. When I get a moment to set my guys out, I'll see what I can do to reciprocate. I've only been in the hobby since September 07, tho, so I'm still working on my painting style (or lack thereof)

Ironically enough, the fact that I haven't been playing over the last few months has done wonders for my painting - my days off don't work with most of the gamers around here, but we have a pretty active painting group who meets on one of them, and they've been coaching me a bit.

That having been said, as a Demons player, what do you dread seeing in:
a) Space Marines
b) CSM
c) IG?
Well, if the last game I played is any indication, an army of Grey Knights. I was holding my own pretty well (considering they ignore my armor saves) and was scaring 40,000 points with my measly 4,000 points.

Generally, anything that ignores invulnerable saves is rough for Daemons. I personally have a Tzeentch heavy army (since that is what I had for years).

a) Space marines- Drop pods for Termies in Armageddon games. They are pretty tough and very unpredictable. Oh, and if you're ever playing a 40k Armageddon game DISPLACEMENT BEACON IS A MUST. Messed me up something good.

b)Chaos Space Marines- They're pretty much Space Marines, for the most part. Any thing that can ignore invulnerable saves will make me question my tactics. Oh, and for both armies, take out my Flamers ASAP. Ignoring your armor saves will eat your faces off. This unit is MEAN.

c) Imp guard- They are a tough army just for being tanks. As a rule Daemons don't have a whole lot of units that are good at dealing with tanks, so getting rid of the big units is your best bed early on to remove the tank killers.

Dave

Staff member
See? It's a good thing Moss is late with his update. You are November and a 1/2 Artist...

Status
Not open for further replies.