Notre Dame cathedral is currently on fire

Dave

Staff member
They originally tried to put it out without water, but it got out of control too quick. Now, of course, they are using water but is it too late?

Dave

Staff member
Probably something having to do with the renovations ongoing. A lot of people and stuff inside trying to work on it.

They will rebuild it. We Europeans are pretty good in rebuilding historical buildings succumbed to flames.

They will rebuild it. We Europeans are pretty good in rebuilding historical buildings succumbed to flames.
Is roughly what I said to my fiancee, considering what we put back up again after the war in germany...
But at least some people were prepared back then and the stained windows, medieval carvings etc. were mostly saved.

It really hurts me inside seeing the flames.

Only problem with Lindsay's points are: the old original windows were replaced with white glass windows in 1728. During the french revolution a few years later everything made from metal were melted down and the Cathedral turned into a wine depot. The following years weren't so keen to Notre Dame too. Only after Victor Hugo's famous book, Paris invested in the restoration of the building replacing everything damaged. Like the roof that got destroyed today.

The spire of the cathedral - not the towers - collapsed in the fire. The towers were apparently saved, but boy it's going to take a long while to repair.

figmentPez

Staff member
Allegedly a photo from inside the cathedral after the fire, (source is some random person on Reddit, but it looks real enough):

The first thing you see when you mouseover the Fox News YouTube link on the fire is Trump. Why?
Why would you want information or reactions from anyone else than the Glorious Leader? His opinion and thoughts are True and Good, and whatever anyone else says can only be a reflection of His greatness, or false, and therefore useless.
Oh, I'm sorry, is this thread in the Politics subforum?

What has been confirmed to have survived the fire:
• The Crown of Thorns, which some believe was placed on the head of Jesus and which the cathedral calls its "most precious and most venerated relic," was rescued from the fire, according to Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo.
• Hidalgo confirmed the Tunic of Saint Louis and other "major" works were also saved.
• The facade and twin bell towers, the tallest structures in Paris until the completion of the Eiffel Tower in the late 19th century, survived the blaze.
• The Rose windows are a trio of immense round stained-glass windows over the cathedral's three main portals that date back to the 13th century. The Archbishop of Paris said all three have been saved, reports CNN affiliate BFM TV.
• The original Great Organ, one of the world's most famous musical instruments, dates back to medieval times. The Archbishop of Paris confirmed the organ is safe, reports CNN affiliate BFM TV.
(CNN)

One of the Rose Windows today:

(Reddit)

Dave

Staff member
Man, this is all wonderful news. But at least we have videos, pictures, etc. of everything. In the past if something burned down that history was just gone.

B

BErt

What has been confirmed to have survived the fire:
• The Crown of Thorns, which some believe was placed on the head of Jesus and which the cathedral calls its "most precious and most venerated relic," was rescued from the fire, according to Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo.
• Hidalgo confirmed the Tunic of Saint Louis and other "major" works were also saved.
• The facade and twin bell towers, the tallest structures in Paris until the completion of the Eiffel Tower in the late 19th century, survived the blaze.
• The Rose windows are a trio of immense round stained-glass windows over the cathedral's three main portals that date back to the 13th century. The Archbishop of Paris said all three have been saved, reports CNN affiliate BFM TV.
• The original Great Organ, one of the world's most famous musical instruments, dates back to medieval times. The Archbishop of Paris confirmed the organ is safe, reports CNN affiliate BFM TV.
(CNN)

One of the Rose Windows today:

(Reddit)
I also read yesterday that the copper statues that were on the roof were removed a few days before the fire due to the renovations and were unaffected.

Cajungal

Staff member
An interesting thing to come out of this terrible event is that people sort of used it to draw attention to the fires at 3 historically black churches that were started by an arsonist (a "suspected" racist who is most definitely racist.) Someone on Twitter made the point that, while nothing of the same historical significance was lost in these churches, they don't have the resources that the Catholic church has to restore their places of worship.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...urned-arson-fires-raise-more-1m-after-n995536

Also, while I'm happy that someone on Twitter got a little attention for a tragedy in my state, it's starting to annoy me that people are also angrily comparing the Notre Dame fire to other awful events and losses of history, as if it's a contest. For example, that Brazilian museum where some indigenous language records were lost. I get that a lot of people hate Catholicism, and I don't like it either, but you can't deny that this is a significant and sad event. Why waste time comparing and trying to diminish it? I'm really happy they saved that window.

Why waste time comparing and trying to diminish it? I'm really happy they saved that window.
It's reached masturbatory levels on my feeds, people are desperate to dunk on it. Donation whataboutism (specially coming from people that are not usually into charitable giving) is annoying at best.

Dave

Staff member
They aren't diminishing the event, they are shining a light on the fact that there were over a billion dollars donated for the restoration. And since this is the catholic church it's like donating money to one of the Koch brothers because his house burned down.

They aren't diminishing the event, they are shining a light on the fact that there were over a billion dollars donated for the restoration. And since this is the catholic church it's like donating money to one of the Koch brothers because his house burned down.
I was under the impression that Notre Dame was owned by France.