[News] No thread yet on Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't know if the above has to do with anything, but it always seems to me that those who are the most backwards on social issues are the least well traveled. Doesn't seem to help with being backwards on fiscal issues though.

[DOUBLEPOST=1345735004][/DOUBLEPOST]
I know this is hyperbole, but this sentence is literally a plank of the Republican platform.
Someone forgot what literally means! And is also a Charlie.

Necronic

Staff member
Dude, that's been untrue for almost 20 years. The idea of the USA as the big melting pot vs the monocultural Europe is complete nonsense. Almost 40% of people in Belgium (and we're smack-dab in the heart of the EU, not on the borders, so compare us to, say, Kansas or Colorado, geographically speaking) has roots in the last 2 generations outisde of the EU. It goes up to over 60% if you include other EU countries (and yes, Spain or Finland or Poland have a different culture than Belgium or each other.) Literally over 50% of children born last year had parents of a non-EU origin. There are now more practicing muslims than practising Christians in Belgium (according to official figures from 2010).
Understand that I'm speaking EU wide. In the EU as a whole the foreign born population is 9.4%. In the US it's 12.5%. That's roughly a 30% difference. On top of that the US has been so open to immigrants for so long that, in many major cities, non-hispanic whites are now in a minority.

Meh, you're saying Canada and the US are one and the same culture throughout? I don't agree at all, but let's agree to disagree.
I was just saying that Europes physical proximity to foreign cultures may have a significant impact on cultural diversity that you don't really see in America, since we only share a border with one truly "foreign" culture (mexico)

On the other hand, school books presenting creationism as a valid scientific theory on the same level as evolution would NEVER be accepted in practically all of Western Europe. Different emphasis placed on different things. Outlawing religious symbols in public schools, to me, points in entirely the opposite direction: it's a sign of acceptance, plurality and tolerance, not the other way around. Public schools, run and paid for by the state, have to be neutral, open and inviting to everyone. Loading them up with crucifixes, praying before the school day, taking the class to mass,... are not acceptable when you're dealing with people of dozens of religions.
Maybe I misunderstood the law, but it's not about the schools not showing off religious items, but about the students. There is nothing that rings "acceptance, plurality, and tolerance" in a culture that doesn't allow a child to wear a cross, hijab, or a skullcap.

In the USA, just like in most of the Middle East, there's still a significant part of the population which believes a church (no matter which one - the one those people happen to belong to) has a right/obligation to try and enforce their ethical and moral views on the rest of society. Whether you're a muslim stoning a woman for not covering her hair, or a christian threatening women who need an abortion, it's equally disgusting and dispicable. Your religion is your concern, not mine. Don't force it on me and I won't force mine on you. Living according to the Sharia or according Leviticus is equally backwards and against my - and many Europeans - principles.
You say they should not have the power to affect how you act. Yet you feel totally fine in restricting how they act (obviously this does not apply to murder.)

Maybe I misunderstood the law, but it's not about the schools not showing off religious items, but about the students. There is nothing that rings "acceptance, plurality, and tolerance" in a culture that doesn't allow a child to wear a cross, hijab, or a skullcap.

You say they should not have the power to affect how you act. Yet you feel totally fine in restricting how they act (obviously this does not apply to murder.)
It's both in France, only teachers/administrators/staff in Belgium. Both are, of course, partially based in the "I dun wan' no woman in a scarf teachin' mah children" mentality of the retarded part of the population, but also about, yes, openness. It's a different view on how to adapt and live together. Understand that, for a very large percentage of pthe population in more and more European countries, it's clear that the "multicultural society" as a model has failed. Both left and right are looking more and more into "assimilation" instead of "living together" again. The right would like nothing better than all immigrants assimilating completely and without a ripple into local culture. The left is shifting mostly towards "allow everybody their freedom to do what they want, and avoid all offense given/taken by all keeping it separated from work and state".
Religious symbolism, hatred, oppression,... have caused more deaths than anything else in the world (yes, "humans" probably comes first, but don't be anal :p). The freedom of religion is pretty serious around here. Not being forced into a confrontation with others' views on religion is quicjkly becoming an essential right as well.

For the rest, it's a matter of "being intolerant to the intolerant" and whatever.

Necronic

Staff member
Religious symbolism, hatred, oppression,... have caused more deaths than anything else in the world (yes, "humans" probably comes first, but don't be anal :p).
This is simply because theocracies were the political norm in the past. We're more or less beyond religious governments in most "1st world" countries, and guess what. We're STILL killing each other. Was WWI or WWII about religion? Was the Vietnam war about religion? What about the French Revolution? Or the Khmer Rouge? Stalin was an ATHEIST and he murdered MILLIONS.

Where's your church to blame for this? Religion isn't the reason we've had wars. Greed, hatred, and stupidity are why we've had wars. Religion is just one of many motivating scapegoats that's slapped on top of a war by a subhuman piece of crap that is instigating the war for his own inhuman desires.

Thinking that religion is the cause of war and death is like saying that being black causes crime.

Why because bubble thinks that anyone with a religious belief is a crazy bigoted whackjob and feels that if they're displaying religious affiliation that he just has to confront them?
Not being forced into a confrontation with others' views on religion is quicjkly becoming an essential right as well.

Necronic

Staff member
Probably the best example against the whole "Religion is the root cause of wars" is to simply look at Asia. By our western concepts of religion most of these cultures have been historically quite secular. Yet the country of China has been in a state of near constant war for all of recorded history. Japan as well, while paying lip service to a divinity in the Emperor, waged a constant internal civil war during the highly secular Shogunate, and is thoroughly hated by their neighbours for their history of war-mongering.

And you're sure he's talking about having to confront people displaying their religion, and not talking about having people confront him with their religion (like, say, door to door missionaries, the Jehovah's Witnesses, protesters like the WBC showing up at military funerals with signs that say "GOD Hates Fags" and implying that the reason said service member died is because the US hasn't done enough to strike down the "unholy abomination" that is homosexuality, etc.) how?

Damn... I'm sorry, I didn't know that it was my fault for going out of my way to confront religious people who showed up uninvited to my house to preach their beliefs to me and refuse to leave when I politely ask them to. I promise I'll stop hanging out at home having a nice day, if it'll stop provoking people of different religious beliefs into descending upon my house with pamphlets and bibles in hand, in order to convert me to their beliefs. Will that be enough to stop people from firebombing mosques, or do I need to sacrifice my first born son as well?
well the quote came upon talking about France's laws outlawing Burka's in public or religious symbols in public schools, so no I don't think he's talking about Mormons going door to door.

Based on what? Where else have you heard it before?

I think Akin said something idiotic on his own. I don't see how/why that ties it to anyone else or why it would mean anyone in any large number shares his beliefs.
I live in the Bible Belt (in the same state as Akin, in fact), and I'm exposed all the time to uneducated people with backwards beliefs. I haven't ever heard anyone make his exact argument about "legitimate rape," but since I've moved down here I've heard some shockingly dumb things come out of people's mouths about religion/education/abortion/homosexuality/poverty/etc. Christians are VERY different down here than even Chicago, where I grew up and attended parochial school for 13 years -- and I imagine Shanghai Christians are even more different. I'm not trying to insult Christians as a whole, but if you experienced firsthand the craziness that is extreme southern American evangelicalism, you'd get it. There are a lot of evangelical preachers that hang out on my campus. I am exposed to their brand of crazy on a pretty regular basis.

Also, as of a poll that was released today, 38% of my neighbors still plan on voting for this man. As far as I'm concerned, that means they're endorsing him and his beliefs about women's bodies.

I always took door to door evangelicals as a nice nuisance. They are paying you the complement that your soul is worth saving. Then I poke holes in their dogma...

then let my dog out...

simple really.

Based on what? Where else have you heard it before?

I think Akin said something idiotic on his own. I don't see how/why that ties it to anyone else or why it would mean anyone in any large number shares his beliefs.

This has kinda been around for a while. Actually, it goes back to ancient times, but for a more recent sampling:
I would hope that when a woman goes into a physician, with a rape issue, that that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage, or was it truly caused by a rape.
  • Senator Chuck Winder, R- Idaho, 2012
Most women either are not fertile during assault or do not become pregnant because the trauma prompts a hormonal response that prevents ovulation.
  • Dr. Richard Dobbins, 20-year GOP contributor, 2006
Concern for rape victims is a red herring because conceptions from rape occur with approximately the same frequency as snowfall in Miami.
  • Judge James Leon Holmes, Bush appointee
The facts show that people who are raped — who are truly raped — the juices don't flow, the body functions don't work and they don't get pregnant. Medical authorities agree that this is a rarity, if ever . . . to get pregnant, it takes a little cooperation. And there ain't much cooperation in a rape.
  • Rep. Henry Aldridge, R- North Carolina, 1995
The odds that a woman who is raped will get pregnant are one in millions and millions and millions [...] The traumatic experience of rape causes a woman to secrete a certain secretion that tends to kill sperm.
  • Delaware state Rep. Stephen Freind, R-Delaware County, 1988

Necronic

Staff member
And you're sure he's talking about having to confront people displaying their religion, and not talking about having people confront him with their religion (like, say, door to door missionaries, the Jehovah's Witnesses, protesters like the WBC showing up at military funerals with signs that say "GOD Hates Fags" and implying that the reason said service member died is because the US hasn't done enough to strike down the "unholy abomination" that is homosexuality, etc.) how?

Damn... I'm sorry, I didn't know that it was my fault for going out of my way to confront religious people who showed up uninvited to my house to preach their beliefs to me and refuse to leave when I politely ask them to. I promise I'll stop hanging out at home having a nice day, if it'll stop provoking people of different religious beliefs into descending upon my house with pamphlets and bibles in hand, in order to convert me to their beliefs. Will that be enough to stop people from firebombing mosques, or do I need to sacrifice my first born son as well?

And this is why we can't discuss religion; everyone starts throwing accusations around like mad and then the personal insults start flying. Seriously. Before you post something in a moment of hot-blooded fury, re-read what you're posting in response to. Think it over. Ask yourself "Is there a way that this comment could be taken that can be construed as anything other than a personal attack against all of (insert group/status here)?" Take into account the person who made the comment. Do you know them to be a troll, a hate-filled ass-hat, or a nice person most of the time? Once you've taken the time to review all of these considerations, try posting again in a clearer head, instead of jumping the gun and assuming that people mean the worst.
The irony of this post is simply too much for me. I believe we have crossed the streams here people.

Necronic

Staff member
Your post indicated you weren't really even following the conversation. It made huge assumptions about what was being said and was generally a really angry non-sequitor.

Which was hilarious because you said we need to re-read what we were responding to and not make angry non-sequitors.

Why because bubble thinks that anyone with a religious belief is a crazy bigoted whackjob and feels that if they're displaying religious affiliation that he just has to confront them?
Exactly because he didn't say that and you assumed far too much. That part you are quoting is a description of where these bannings of burkhas or even hiyabs and other veils that don't cover the face are coming from (one of the places they're coming from).

Really, the part that you maybe could hold against him is the "Religion main reason of war throughout history" point and that: 1- can be discussed to hold some truth 2- in any case is more a common misconception than being "practicing member of the Church of Atheism.[DOUBLEPOST=1345754741][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, as of a poll that was released today, 38% of my neighbors still plan on voting for this man. As far as I'm concerned, that means they're endorsing him and his beliefs about women's bodies.
Well, in the mindset of a two party system that can't be true can it? But I guess you could say that, if they don't approve of this bullshit, they at least don't think it's too bad.

(Does endorse mean share beliefs and positions, or am I misunderstanding?)[DOUBLEPOST=1345755031][/DOUBLEPOST]As a comment on the veil/cross/whatever ban in public schools in france (it really was all at the same time I believe): I think it's a matter of coming from a trend where they were forbidding religious symbols in schools on the school's part such as crucifixes on the walls and whatnot (which I think is totally right), and took it way too far. On the other hand you have places where schools, courthouses or whatever have christian symbols and that's totally fine and legal, such as Spain or Italy or I guess the US, which isn't right either. I guess it's very hard to get to the right point as a society, because there are always opposite forces tugging in either direction, and usually one of them will win by a little bit or by a lot.

To pu
This is simply because theocracies were the political norm in the past. We're more or less beyond religious governments in most "1st world" countries, and guess what. We're STILL killing each other. Was WWI or WWII about religion? Was the Vietnam war about religion? What about the French Revolution? Or the Khmer Rouge? Stalin was an ATHEIST and he murdered MILLIONS.

Where's your church to blame for this? Religion isn't the reason we've had wars. Greed, hatred, and stupidity are why we've had wars. Religion is just one of many motivating scapegoats that's slapped on top of a war by a subhuman piece of crap that is instigating the war for his own inhuman desires.

Thinking that religion is the cause of war and death is like saying that being black causes crime.
To put it in d and d terms wars are the result of leaders that rolled high charisma and nothing else.

"Endorse" doesn't necessarily mean "share," but it does mean "support or approve of." Yeah, some of those people are going to be voting for him because a) he's Republican and b) they think that he's better than the alternative (our current senator, Claire McCaskill, who is actually quite moderate and regularly votes against her party) -- you are correct that the two-party system is largely to blame. But, frankly, if a Democrat senator had said something that outrageous and stupid about one of the highly-targeted groups I identify as (female and atheist being the big two), I'd probably either not vote or go out and vote for the alternative because that person has made it clear they don't represent me. I tend to vote Democrat, but I've voted Republican and Libertarian before (mostly when I was living in Chicago), and I'll do it again.

Well, it seems I missed a bit of drama here. Perhaps all for the best :p

Anyway, without wanting to provoke, let me say a few things. Do bear in mind that I haven't seen any of the posts that were removed (except excerpts still in quotes).

Firstly, I wasn't necessarily stating my own personal point of view. While I do think burkas are a serious problem, I don't think a law forcing the issue is the solution. I was trying to point out where the sentiment is coming from and what lies at the basis of it. It's too easy to say "France hates muslims and is forcing everyone to abandon their faiths because burkas are illegal, there's no freedom of religion". A lot of muslims consider it an insult to have to be brought to court in a building that prominently displays signs of Christian faith. I personally think it's a shame to remove 200+-year-old crucifixes from courthouses, just like I think it's a shame to destroy Buddha statues in Afghanistan or any other antique/ancient art works. I agree with the sentiment at the basis of said removal (religion needs to butt out of our law system), but I don't think taking down the symbols is necessary - as long those crucifixes/bibles/whatever are considered works of antique art, and not in any way an endorsement or whatever of the faith they represent. Similarly, I'm technically a republican (in the older form of the word - I think our royal house should be abolished), but that doesn't mean I think we should tear down the royal palace. Just turn it into a museum.
Secondly, I'll concede that, yes, there are plenty of reasons to go to war, and perhaps religion isn't the biggest one. If I state "abuse of religion is an important factor in casing hate and hate crimes, and religion has been (ab)used as a reason to go to war and/or villify the enemy far too many times over the course of history", can you accept that?
Thirdly, I'm definitely not of the Church of Atheism, considering I'm not an atheist. I'm agnostic. If stating that I insist upon a complete separation of church and state (be it Sharia, be it Leviticus, be it I-don't-care-what) makes me suddenly a hard-line atheist zealot in your eyes, I'm not the one with a problem in modern democratic society.
Fourth, I'll try to rephrase my "confrontation" point. It's not something I, personally, usually feel very strongly about. I don't care if the woman behind the counter is wearing a small cross on her neck, or has a bindi, or is wearing a headscarf. On the other hand, some people are. Yes, many of them for xenophobic reasons. My grandmother wore a scarf on her head to churh every sunday, and nobody complained back then. Forcing all civil servants to hide their personal beliefs (and it goes beyond strictly religious items - you're not allowed to wear a badge proclaiming a political view either, for example) was the "easy" way out.
Since most people get most of their information on other countries from prejudiced media sources, let's state clearly what is and isn't legal.
In France and Belgium, the niqab and burka are illegal to be worn in public, because they disguise identity and hide the face. Yes, all face-covering apparel is illegal. There are a few exceptions, but they're surprisingly limited. Carnaval in a few cities, but, in case you're wondering, yes, it is illegal to wear a face-covering mask to a children's party or whatever outside of carnaval season. this was done because, both in Paris and in Brussels, there have been serious riots over problems with people with covered faces. Just a few weeks ago, there were riots against the police in a neighbourhood a 10minutes walk from me. Police officers wanted to check the identity of a woman in niqab (they weren't even giving her a ticket for wearing it, mind!), they asked her to come to their car and, privately, show her face to a female, muslim officer (yes, we do bend over backwards to accomodate everyone, why?). The officer got a head-butt and several striks to the face for her trouble, and riots broke out because the police shouldn't have been allowed to force her to show her face and had been "too aggressive". Camera footage shows they weren't, though. Anyway, this is with this restriction in place. Yes, we have detained men in burkas hiding explosives, and yes, we have had people abusing these clothing items to smuggle/hide identity of burglars/etc.
For civil servants on duty, it's illegal to display any sign of personal religious or philosophical beliefs. No cross on your neck, no swastika-tattoo on your forehead, no badge proclaiming "I'm socialist and proud of it". This to ensure neutrality. As has been said - some people object to being treated by someone of another way of life - that damn conservative ass won't give me the aid I need and should get, that damn bleeding heart leftie won't consider my complaint about noise from the neighbours, that muslim won't note down my complaint about the stench of slaughtering sheep in the backyard,... Prejudice and bigotry, on all sides. Easier to force a semblance of neutrality than trying to change everyone. In schools, as far as belgium goes, it's made legal to specify whether or not face-covering apparel is illegal. Most schools already had rules against caps/hats/head coverings indoor, but there was the problem that such rules were sometimes being treated as banning headscarves, sometimes just burkas, sometimes none of them because of religious freedom. Law was made to clarify that a school can explicitly ban them. Since burka and niqab are illegal anyway (public space), this only concerns regular hair coverings...Schools are free to make their rules, but generally speaking, they're allowed.

Anyway. My point wasn't "I'm a bigot", nor "all religious people are bigots". I wasn't saying "Americans are backwards for their stance on religion", either. I was syaing "some people think this way ,and it led to these laws". I was trying to explain where these laws are coming from - whether or not I agree with them is completely irrelevant to that matter. There's a very big difference in interpretation of freedoms of religion/speech/etc between cultures. Especially between the US and continental Europe, but even on a smaller basis. To give a silly and non-related example, in Flanders, the public opinion is overwhelmingly in favour of allowing street cameras to be used against crime (both using ATM cameras and security cameras to track, and placing specific cameras to register what happens on "hot spots" such as tourist attractions with a lot of pickpockets). In Wallonia, the public opinion is strongly against, as they see it as a horrible breach of privacy. I'm not saying one or the other is right - jsut that the balance of freedom/security is different for every person, and these views are influenced more by surroundings and local culture than people seem to think.

Probably the best example against the whole "Religion is the root cause of wars" is to simply look at Asia. By our western concepts of religion most of these cultures have been historically quite secular. Yet the country of China has been in a state of near constant war for all of recorded history. Japan as well, while paying lip service to a divinity in the Emperor, waged a constant internal civil war during the highly secular Shogunate, and is thoroughly hated by their neighbours for their history of war-mongering.
Which isn't to say that they haven't had religiously-inspired wars, it's more that they've had just as many, if not more, wars inspired by much more mundane reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.