[News] No thread yet on Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
In a more serious note, his statement is almost universally panned as just fucking stupid. I get what he's trying to say about there being different levels of rape (with the obvious other type being statutory rape between kids who are only a year or two apart and it's consensual), but (a) his knowledge of rape/pregnancy is very 18th century and has been disproven by that weird science thing and (b) we can't start parsing something like rape or it leads us into dangerous territory such as "she was raped but it wasn't a violent rape, so she should be okay" kind of thinking.

Interestingly, I feel the same way about "hate crimes". While I understand them from a legal standpoint, I think that a white guy being murdered for his wallet during a robbery is just as valid as a black man who is murdered because someone doesn't like the color of his skin. The penalties should be the same, regardless of intent as long as the severity (ie, first degree, second degree) remains the same.

I think we haven't really talked about this because I can't see anyone sticking up for him.

Considering the last two (three, even?) threads involving rape have escalated to the point where they had to be locked, are you really surprised?

Dave

Staff member
Oh yeah! I forgot you moved to that area! I always think of you as a Chicagoan. Chicagoite. Chica.

Someone from Chicago.

Oh yeah! I forgot you moved to that area! I always think of you as a Chicagoan. Chicagoite. Chica.

Someone from Chicago.
You were right the first time ;)

I'm hoping to be a Chicagoan again soon, but for now, I get to live in the crystal meth/puppy mill capital of the world. Yay!

"No thread yet on Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin?"

Were you expecting some contention about his comments or something? Even Republicans think his comments were moronic.

GasBandit

Staff member
Clearly what he said is indefensible. What more is there to be said? I've always said republicans are backwards on social issues, and this is certainly an extreme example of that. But let's also keep this in perspective - it's no more stupid than the other politician who was worried (seriously and honestly) about Guam capsizing and sinking because there were too many troops stationed on it. Or just about anything said by Joe Biden on a biweekly basis. It's just that this is a hot button because it involves America's Favorite Political Controversy and one of the two most deplored criminal acts (whether it comes first or second varies from person to person asked).

It'll probably lead to his defeat, and I don't think anybody would argue that's a horrible thing. Frankly, I wish we had an easy method of calling a vote of no confidence on any politician who does something so boneheaded. Maybe a lot of seats would go empty for a time, but I fail to see how that could be worse off than having a confident idiot occupy said seat.

Necronic

Staff member
Honestly it's not even close to the dumbest thing I've heard a politician say, and I am frankly surprised that the Republican party dropped him. I've heard far dumber/more offensive things said by them many times.

Great. No late term aborting of his campaign.
Lines like that makes me want to have an Ed Mcmahon button in this forum. I just think "HI OHH!" is the most appropriate response possible in situations like this.

Also this Todd Akin guy...What a scumbag!

'nuff said.

I know it's horrible, but it's more interesting to discuss in terms of the Presidential campaign and how it might shape the national narrative on women's rights / abortion / rape, etc etc.

I'm really interested if Obama will hardline tie him to Paul Ryan, among other things.

I know it's horrible, but it's more interesting to discuss in terms of the Presidential campaign and how it might shape the national narrative on women's rights / abortion / rape, etc etc.

I'm really interested if Obama will hardline tie him to Paul Ryan, among other things.
We can only hope. I can not understand for the life of me why anyone with a womb would ever vote republican.

Considering the last two (three, even?) threads involving rape have escalated to the point where they had to be locked, are you really surprised?
This, coupled with knowing that me posting something negative about American politics, no matter how mucgh of an idiot they're being, will result in yet another "you're anti-american" crapporoony, has kept me from posting this.

That said, he's an idiot, and I'm out of this thread again.

Yes, I'm self-censoring because some [redacted] feel the need to attack each and every time. That's how friendly andi nviting to discussion HF is these days.

When uneducated conservative figureheads of bass ackwards religions somewhere in the most secluded parts of Africa say things like this, I facepalm. When higher educated, successful people in one of the most educated, progressive, tolerant, what-have-you countries of the world says something like that and gets praise for it, I weep for mankind, and realise that we're slowly heading straight for a second Dark Ages.

Dave

Staff member
Akin responds!

You read that right - it's the "liberal media" who is trying to get him to resign. Liberal media now = Romney, Paul Ryan, John Ashcroft, Rush Limbaugh...and this is the short bus list.

These liberal elite are a constant thorn in his side. He said he was sorry! What more do they want?!?

Akin was told by the party to stay home from the convention.[DOUBLEPOST=1345661516][/DOUBLEPOST]I must admit that the GOP would rather lose the seat, than walk in step with this nut job.

I mean the part where he won't acknowledge that he's killed himself politically . His own party doesn't even want him and he just says everyone overreacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.