Nintendo Switch Thread

Are the Switch controllers comfortable?

TL;DW Not really.

So big guys like me and bigger guys like Eriol probably won't have a good time with the Joycons.
Even the classic version looks kinda cramped.

Oddly enough, the only version that looks good-sized is when the Joycon halves are slid around the Switch screen and it resembles a Wii U gamepad.

I know right? The fuck is up with that pizza?
I didn't notice that, but yeah, those toppings are a disaster.

I don't know why Nintendo struggles so much with analog stick placement, but whatever.

My new problem is 32 gig internal memory. Fine for Nintendo games, but there are third party games on other consoles with that as the install size. Maybe it'll be okay since we're going back to cartridges, so big install won't be necessary. I hope. Even when 64 gig SD cards are cheap, this still feels like little space compared to the competing consoles.

Apparently I can get the Switch for $10 if I sell the Wii U and everything with it.

The Wii U we never use.

The Wii U that's been collecting dust since my wife got tired of Splatoon over a year ago.

Hrrrm. I mean, it's one thing that I'm not forking over $300 for this right now, but switching out :rimshot: a washed-up Nintendo console for a new one, for $10? That's tempting.

Apparently I can get the Switch for $10 if I sell the Wii U and everything with it.

The Wii U we never use.

The Wii U that's been collecting dust since my wife got tired of Splatoon over a year ago.

Hrrrm. I mean, it's one thing that I'm not forking over $300 for this right now, but switching out :rimshot: a washed-up Nintendo console for a new one, for $10? That's tempting.
For $10, might as well upgrade to the latest thing that'll collect dust.

For $10, might as well upgrade to the latest thing that'll collect dust.
I know. But at the same time, when else am I going to get it that cheap? And when is the Wii U going to be revitalized? Nintendo still intends to support the 3DS for a couple years, but the Wii U has nothing on the horizon.

I think I can sell my wife on it over Splatoon 2, but she's going to be a little more hard-pressed on giving up Bayonetta 2. I kinda am too, gameplay-wise it's a near perfect game, and I doubt there's going to be any kind of Switch port.

That said, I'm not going to be able to play Zelda on our Wii U with that install size, and that was really my fallback on not bothering with the Switch for a long while. I can wait on Zelda, yeah; but to never get to play it at all? I'm not okay with that.

I know. But at the same time, when else am I going to get it that cheap? And when is the Wii U going to be revitalized? Nintendo still intends to support the 3DS for a couple years, but the Wii U has nothing on the horizon.

I think I can sell my wife on it over Splatoon 2, but she's going to be a little more hard-pressed on giving up Bayonetta 2. I kinda am too, gameplay-wise it's a near perfect game, and I doubt there's going to be any kind of Switch port.

That said, I'm not going to be able to play Zelda on our Wii U with that install size, and that was really my fallback on not bothering with the Switch for a long while. I can wait on Zelda, yeah; but to never get to play it at all? I'm not okay with that.
You can always plug an external HDD into your WiiU. That's what I do, I have nothing installed on the console itself

Decided not to go for the deal; it just feels like more worth than it might be worth and if we're going to sell the Wii U, I'd rather we just put the money into something else.

You know, I was thinking to myself "how can I, the average gamer, pay a subscription service to use my smartphone as an actual phone?"

Thanks, Nintendo!

instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you’ll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that’s a pretty sweet solution. That’s part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service.

Don't worry, they'll replace it with a subscription smartphone app that lets you send messages to other people with the same smartphone app. You can even choose an icon or photo to represent you.

It's genius, really. They could call it AiiM.

Didn't watch the video, but it makes sense to kill Miiverse: Miis were someting of the Wii. If they want something similar on the Switch I guess they should be called Mitch? And have all the same face, or something?

Didn't watch the video, but it makes sense to kill Miiverse: Miis were someting of the Wii. If they want something similar on the Switch I guess they should be called Mitch? And have all the same face, or something?
The 3DS had miis and nobody seemed too concerned that they weren't 3DaveS

Miiverse is Nintendo's version of a forum for each individual game, be it a new release or Virtual Console. Some games integrated it into themselves. People could ask for tips, show progress, though mostly they'd joke around or post art. Splatoon used this best during Splatfest weekends.

It's getting to feel like I'm done with Nintendo. Now they're trying to ape the big boys, but they're so insulated that they're going about it all wrong. It's just not worth the time or trouble.

A new Fire Emblem (not the dynasty warriors crossover) coming for the Switch next year basically guarantees I'll buy it at some point for sure.

GasBandit

Staff member
A new Fire Emblem (not the dynasty warriors crossover) coming for the Switch next year basically guarantees I'll buy it at some point for sure.
Sigh, there was a time, long, long ago, when I felt that way about Final Fantasy games.

FF7 made me buy a PSX (with money from my first real summer job). The fact that N64 games were like 11000 dollars per cart kept me away from the N64.

The only reason we did N64 before PSX at my house was getting one for Christmas. We got a ton of mileage out of the system, but only because of 3-4 games, really.

The only reason we did N64 before PSX at my house was getting one for Christmas. We got a ton of mileage out of the system, but only because of 3-4 games, really.
This is where I see things going if I buy another Nintendo console. About 3-4 games I play and then others I sample but never get into much.

Wii U was Wind Walker HD, Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, and Bayonetta 2. Really enjoyed those games, but I don't think I would've been bereft of entertainment without them.

That console I play 4 games on is cool nowadays for 34 year old me, but that shit was'na gonna fly with 13 year old me.

Geeeeet fucked N64. The console I've clocked less than an hour playing on in my entire life.

Hot take, worst controller ever.

Hot take, worst controller ever.
I remember when it came out I hated it. Later I thought it was fine. Then years went by without touching the N64 controller and I tried playing Turok 2. I just couldn't do it; my hands had tasted a real controller and couldn't go back to aiming with the C-buttons.