Nintendo Switch Thread

I wish I was working because I kinda want to buy a Switch now. A friend of mine let me play Super Mario Odyssey. It was delightfully amazing.

Best take I've read, paraphrased, was something like, best thing about this new bulky accessory that you'll probably eventually regret buying is it's cardboard and will eventually disintegrate, unlike those piles of forever trash Rockband instruments.

This reduces the cost of producing potentionally innovative controller types without the huge risk associated with typical manufacturing. Particularly if they ultimately don't prove successful, it shouldn't be such a huge loss to scare companies away from trying fun stuff.

figmentPez

Staff member

The parts I found interesting:

- Assembling the fishing pole cardboard took two adults 50 minutes. They had an hour to do it, and the Nintendo staff said most people wouldn't finish. These are some pretty complex builds.

- A lot of the Labo use the infrared camera that's in a Joycon. I knew they had an IR sensor, I didn't realize it was a full on IR camera. That's how the piano Labo works, there are IR reflectors on the backs of each of the keys, and the Joycon detects when those move. And the "toothbrush bug" Labo (the one that moves by vibrating the Joycon) uses the IR camera as well, it can follow your hand around by detecting it with the camera.

- There's a feature that allows you program your own cardboard. It's still under wraps, people attending the event weren't allowed to film that functionality, but they were allowed to talk about the fact that it exists. There's some sort of visual programming feature that you can use to set up interactions.

B

BErt

SMASH BROS ULTIMATE GIMME ICE CLIMBERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssss

Hollow Knight looks cool

Oh also, Octopath Traveler has a new demo out on Thursday, with a save that transfers to the full game.

B

BErt

im only following on a live blog, so when they say "classic gamecube controllers are useable" do they mean only the news ones that are being released for switch or original ones too? if i can use my wavebirds with this i am very very happy

im only following on a live blog, so when they say "classic gamecube controllers are useable" do they mean only the news ones that are being released for switch or original ones too? if i can use my wavebirds with this i am very very happy
I assume they'll have a converter like they did for the Wii U.

As someone who has only played one Metroid game and no Smash, at first I misheard and assumed we were talking about Ripley from the Alien franchise, and thought, “That would be amazing!”

—Patrick

I tried Fortnite on the Switch. Wow, did that blow egg water. I mean, I wasn't good on the laptop, but trying to aim with a Switch controller?

By my calculations, if i don't spend any spending money, I can afford a Switch and a couple games by November.

So long as I don't reach that point and realize how many books I could buy for that much money.