Nick's GoPro Adventures

I honestly don't know where to post these. I was going to post in the Awesome Videos thread, but that felt a little too self-indulgent. I'll put them here for now. So anyway, I'm still filming what few bike rides I've been taking lately. And so far, still uploading the adventures unedited and privately on YouTube (private as in, it can only be viewed if you have the link). Keep in mind that I'm still very much an amateur at this and have no filmmaking or editing skills. I'm debating doing some public videos on this channel, like "How to bike from here to there in Halifax" and such, but I don't know.

Anyway, I biked downtown today to the local comic shop for some books. But I also got a new helmet recently with a mount built into it to attach the GoPro. So I thought I'd give it a spin. You can also see a lady nearly cut me off at around the 8:00 mark.

I like being able to show where I'm looking if I turn my head, which at least makes things more interesting than the chest strap mount with a largely static view of my handlebars and arms. However, I noticed the microphone doesn't pick up my rambling as well on the helmet cam. It's muffled and you can barely hear what I'm saying.

To compare, here's a video I shot back in April, with a short ride on the Chain Lake Trail. You can actually hear my rambling commentary, such as it is. And the huffs and puffs from my out of shape lungs.

So yeah, I'm a little torn. The helmet mount has its pros and cons, but so does the chest strap mount. On the bright side, I have a new helmet, which was overdue. With or without using the mount, there's that at least.

And just for fun, here's some footage at my sister's place on Kearny Lake (where she they have some kayaks and stuff to play with). I think I used a head strap mount for this one.

I know others have mentioned this, but you have a very pleasant voice for these videos, Nick. Even when the wind is cutting through the mic.

EDIT: I just realized who it reminds me of; it's like Jim Henson, when he was giving interviews, but with a smooth, Canadian undertone.

Last edited:
I know others have mentioned this, but you have a very pleasant voice for these videos, Nick. Even when the wind is cutting through the mic.

EDIT: I just realized who it reminds me of; it's like Jim Henson, when he was giving interviews, but with a smooth, Canadian undertone.
I...can't think of a higher compliment I've ever heard. Seriously, I idolize Jim Henson for multiple reasons. Thank you for this.

A video from last August, where I bike across the MacDonald Bridge to Dartmouth. As with the other ones, this is a private video only accessible if you have the link. Also, part of the trek home was cut off because my GoPro seemingly turned off from overheating or something.

Fun ride! For me, it's like riding a new route for the first time. FWIW, I suspect that you're faster than I am.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I started using GoPro's Quik app, which auto-edits selected footage for me. So far, it's cut down 20-minute footage to about 2 minutes. It adds music and transitions. Sadly, I learned I can't edit the transitions. Which I Haye because some of them are jarring.

Still, an app that does the editing for me is pretty neat. Here's the one I posted the other day:

And here's a new one filmed just today. I used my helmet mount this morning:

This was filmed a few weeks ago, but I'm finally uploading it now.

I also played around the the slo-mo feature on the GoPro Quik app. I think it turned out pretty well.