Newbie questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay... felt bad about just starting a new thread just for myself, so I figured that this could be a general catch-all place for folks who might be interested in getting into Cosplay, their own selves.

As for me... I has qvestion: What is the feasibility of turning something like this:

into something like this:

Is it simply a case where I need to buy two seperate sets of coveralls and stitch them together, or could I use something like a fabric dye to turn the upper half of a green coverall black?

Or am I simply being horrifically naive?

I think the easiest option would be to buy two of the coveralls and splice them together - you have the right idea!

I would try dying it as a last resort...dying is a pain.

BananaHands

Staff member
My friends are all thinking Game of Thrones.

WHO CAN I BEEEEE. ROB HAS CURLY HAIR AND JON SNOW HAS LONG HAIR.

[DOUBLEPOST=1347463043][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I'd totally be Nate Drake from Uncharted but like, no one would get that.

OH my gosh, you would kind of totally be a perfect Drake....ME-ow..!

And really if no one got it, then their lives are slightly sadder than those who would get it. Just sayin'.

Would you be willing to grow your hair out and curl it for Robb? Cause you do resemble him even now. Just get a fur rug and you're good to go. :)

BananaHands

Staff member
Yeah, I suppose. I just don't want to go out there looking like some amateur. I just feel like his outfit is incredibly complicated.

And don't worry. I plan on going to a convention eventually and dressing up like Drake. Too bad I never got that special edition with that belt buckle. :(

BananaHands

Staff member
My friend really, really wants to be Renly. Renly and King Robert are taken.

But yeah, he's been growing his beard out so our King Robert is going to look dead on.

One that I will be at, or one I think you should attend?

Hmmm, you're near Chicago right?

Let's see, there's Wizard World Chicago Comic Con, August 8-11. C2E2, April 26-28. Kollison Con, November 23-25.

Or there's always the big ones: New York Comic Con, Katsucon, Dragon*Con....

And, of course, my one and only San Diego Comic Con.

BananaHands

Staff member
When do tickets to SD Comic Con go on sale? I might have to go and Nate Drake it up. My friend has a full stormtrooper outfit he always wants to pull out too. HM.

They haven't given a specific date yet, they just said sometime in early 2013. I can PM you when I know more.

And, you know, if you aren't opposed to the idea...we could meet up! Get pic's! Could be fun. :)

But really, I think it would be awesome if you could go, it's such a fun time in my opinion. And be ready to get a badge the second they go on sale.

Aww, you should!! Do eeet!
First... I need to make a kick ass costume... which will take a long time. Second... I need to suck up to be able to get time away from the wife and kids while she watches the little monsters lol. I'm really hoping I may be able to make it to the 2014 one.

I also have to come up with a costume that packs up nicely and can travel by air without too much trouble. Which sucks for me because I like costumes that are prop heavy with rigid inflexible pieces.

I also have to come up with a costume that packs up nicely and can travel by air without too much trouble. Which sucks for me because I like costumes that are prop heavy with rigid inflexible pieces.
You'd be surprised at how often people ship props to the hotel they're staying it. It's not for everyone, but it is an option. I know lots of cosplayers that ship armor pieces to hotels.

I always wondered how people managed to get to these place.

"Oooh, don't worry sir, these 7 inch platform shoes along with 2 prop magnum guns are for a... cosplay convention"
"but... this shoe looks like a revolver"
"it's a prop sir"

You'd be surprised at how often people ship props to the hotel they're staying it. It's not for everyone, but it is an option. I know lots of cosplayers that ship armor pieces to hotels.

I've heard that but it seems like it would be a pain for someone coming from Canada to coordinate.

I've been ever so slowly working on a Halo ODST costume for a long time (it's still mostly just collected raw materials, reference photos and pepakura printouts) but that's the one that I want to finish and bring to a Comic Con. I'm also interested in doing a high quality Rider of Rohan from Lord of the Rings too.

That sounds awesome Azurephoenix! I hope you get to take it to a con someday. :)

Yeah, it's a hassle, but I know it's what a lot of people do for large props. You could always pack it in multiple suitcases, although the checking fees would be sad. For me, that's why I drive to con's, so I don't have to deal with that business.

Also, I'm sorry BananaHands, we kind of veered off topic about your Halloween costume. Is there anything more specific you want help with? Do you want to do Robb? I can look for materials and such if you would like.

BananaHands

Staff member
I mean, I think I'm pretty good with Rob. Might have to get creative with the outfit, I'm not looking to spend an insane amount of money.

My other idea was to just shave and go as Ryu, convince my friends to go as Street Fighter characters. Who knows.

Sounds good. Salvation Army/Thrift stores are going to be your best friend if you want to do things cheaply - that's my best advice.

Street Fighter would be pretty awesome and easy. :)

So, I have an idea for a Halloween costume that could also be a good cosplay costume. It's basically Oogie Boogie, Lock, Shock, and Barrel from The Nightmare Before Christmas. Lock, Shock, and Barrel would be dolls but with Barrel's head being my head coming from the shoulder of the main costume which is Oogie. My face would be made up to look like Barrel's face. It would take some doing, but It would be ten tons of awesome if it worked like I have it in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.