New day, new you

Cajungal

Staff member
Screw the new year! What are you doing TODAY to make a small, positive change?

I'm notorious for leaving Christmas stuff out for way too long--old wrapping paper, stocking stuffers I dont know what to do with yet, things like that. I'm picking it ALL up today and trying to really lock into how good it feels to take care of a mess right away. Hopefully I'll continue. I'm such a chaotic, cluttery person, but I'm trying to make small changes but by bit.

Another thing I did was buy some storage containers I sorely needed.

More long term...I'm starting to research nearby improv conventions that I could go to in the summer.

What's going on with you?

I didn't snack today when I really wanted to.

Now, I know me quite well, and knowing me, this is not going to last. I'm still gonna be snacking my trousers off every chance I get. Probably tomorrow. Or the day after, at latest. But at least today I didn't.

• After 2 weeks of overeating/drinking fairly unhealthy fare, I'm back to my "good" routines for the foreseeable future (except for NYE, that's accounted for in advance).
  • Not today in particular, but I started journaling again 10 days ago (I thought "starting my journaling back up would make a good NY Resolution" and then I remembered that I don't believe in those, and that time in the market beats timing the market).
  • I finished another trashbag of useless and/or bad-memory objects to throw away during my lunch break. I'm incrementally letting go of my clutter.

Cajungal

Staff member
I've started eating vegetarian 3 nights a week.
I do one or two veggie days a week as well! In fact, our head of school has cooked for the faculty a number of times and shared her recipes to encourage us to try it. She's an amazing cook.

I like this! January 1 is super arbitrary.

I’m up now making a real meal to have with my meds because it’s the right thing to do. Snacking or nothing is bad :)

I will post my other things once I really do them. I had them typed out and then remembered the point of the thread was to share afterwards :)

This morning, I skipped checking Halforums before going to work rather than getting sucked in and then having to rush to make up time.

Also, yesterday I watched this video:

It reminded me of @ThatNickGuy -- not surprising, since he was the first person I ever heard talk about DDP.
It also reminded me how powerful, how...contagious it can be to be around someone who is determined to make some kind of positive progress. It must feel amazing to be on either side of that equation. In the middle we have the guy getting inspired because he never thought other people would want to witness his journey to success, and all around him the folks who want to see him succeed are also benefiting from the halo of his example.

--Patrick

I've been slacking a little bit this past week, and haven't gone to the gym at all. A big part of that is Li'l Z is home and I hate bringing him to the baby-sitting room at the gym this week because other inconsiderate parents will bring their sick kids in (something the gym tells them specifically NOT to do) and I don't want him getting a cold or any other bug.

But I'm looking forward to getting my life back on track. Starting tomorrow, back to the gym, packing up all the Christmas stuff (sniff), a lot of the snacks we were inundated with are gone, and trying to find ways to beat the winter blues.

I'm not eating sugar for the day, which for me is Herculean. I don't realize the scope of my intake until I stop.

I'm not eating sugar for the day, which for me is Herculean. I don't realize the scope of my intake until I stop.
What's your biggest intake method? Soda was mine. It's alarming to see how much sugar is in everything that is processed. Good luck! I am sure glad that I cut sugar sodas out of my life. I don't even use sugar-substitutes in my beverages anymore.

For my future well-being, I'd sure like to get more vegan-meals in my rotation. We have nearly cut out all beef in our diet, and now we'd like to slowly move more vegetarian. My lunches have been vegetarian for the last 2 months and I don't miss the meat at lunch. I need to come up with some better dinner ideas other than steamed vegetables next to chicken legs.

I'd also like to start running again - that will be tougher than diet changes.

For my future well-being, I'd sure like to get more vegan-meals in my rotation. We have nearly cut out all beef in our diet, and now we'd like to slowly move more vegetarian. My lunches have been vegetarian for the last 2 months and I don't miss the meat at lunch. I need to come up with some better dinner ideas other than steamed vegetables next to chicken legs.
There's a lot of great recipe ideas over at r/EatCheapAndHealthy, try searching for keywords like vegan and vegetarian.

Personally, I've found that beans are a good protein source and make great winter dishes. I've been on a lentils kick lately, and I have a big bag of black beans I'll be cracking open soon.

Cajungal

Staff member
I've been working on this too. It was hard to do with Christmas and everything, but what's helping us bring better about keeping my home stocked with healthy foods I really like. When I want something sweet-ish, I now make myself plain yogurt with cacao nibs and pomegranate seeds. It's awesome.

What's your biggest intake method? Soda was mine. It's alarming to see how much sugar is in everything that is processed. Good luck! I am sure glad that I cut sugar sodas out of my life. I don't even use sugar-substitutes in my beverages anymore.

I'd also like to start running again - that will be tougher than diet changes.
I'm all diet pop due to a weird stomach ache I get from real pop. My issue is candy and baked goods. Easy to access Pop Tarts. That kind of thing.

Also, check out Thug Kitchen stuff. They're vegan recipes that are usually not full of silly ingredients you haven't heard of. This is my current favorite:

https://www.popsugar.com/food/One-Pot-Chickpea-Biryani-Thug-Kitchen-42542017

Yesterday I finally took advantage of the opportunity to measure a baseline for my commute to work (at or slightly under the speed limit, include parking lot and driveway time, putting away my lunch, all of it). I mean, I’ve only been wanting to do this for FIVE YEARS NOW.

Don’t give up on your dreams, folks.

—Patrick

Also today I finally changed the code on my phone to something more complex, a thing I’ve been meaning to do since I retired my iPhone 5 in Dec 2017.

—Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
I've been going to the farmer's market more often. I always mean to, but then Saturday morning comes and I feel so lazy. I fell in love with watermelon radishes, so now I'm excited about hopping out of bed and getting my weekly bag. Got everything for my lunches prepped for the week, except the protein.

Cleaned out my closet and got three garbage bags full of no-longer-fitting clothes that are off to the goodwill. Part one of a big cleaning out of old shit I no longer need in an effort to create some sort of less-slobby living space. I don't believe in the whole Marie Kondo "brings you joy" nonsense but that doesn't mean I can't throw away a bunch of stuff anyway.

Also have an interview to move from part-time to full-time at the company I work at on Monday. Which I should've done a long time ago, but, you know.

I've been working on portion control and snacking. I eat quite healthy for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is a challenge. I tend to eat probably 3x what I need. It also tends to be meat-heavy. Instead of doing a drastic change in diet for dinner, I am just cutting back to a single plate/bowl of food, and then supplementing with a fruit after 20-30 min if I am still hungry. So far I have done okay.