Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I'm too cool for school, baby!

• I find the idea of labels to be passe

• Grue

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
So, I've just been thinking a lot recently about nerd/geek/whatever culture lately and some of the labels contained therein. Geek Culture is a phrase that's being tossed around all over the place in the mainstream media lately.

I guess the first thing is sorting out some of the terminology. To me, Geek, Nerd, and Dork have all had completely different connotations. However, I know for some people, they're interchangeable. Obviously, they are similar concepts that may bleed over into each other, but to me the distinctions are as follows:

Nerd- Super into science, math, and generally has the smarts to back it up.

Geek- Super into niche culture. Anime, gaming, comics, role play, etc...

Dork- Someone who falls into one or both of the above categories who is extremely socially awkward.

I put it to the board, in your eyes are there differences? Are these words synonyms to you?

I generally use geek as someone who is super into...whatever. Math, science, comics, movies. Whatever.

A nerd is a socially awkward geek.

A dork is a category unto itself, with none of the positive connotations of the other two. Plain name calling, like "tool", "dweeb" or "putz".

Actually, those are exactly my distinctions as well @Bowielee. I don't ever interchange them either.

Like, I would consider myself a geek, but Nate a nerd (he's a smarty-pants).

Geek and nerd is generally synonyms, but I use the word geek way more often to describe myself. I think I like the sound of it more than anything.

Dork I've never really used to describe ... anything.

Definitely a geek, and those are usually my definitions as well....HOWEVER, The Far Side has taught me that "dork" is also a synonym for "penis", so ...no, not a dork.

Dave

Staff member
I picked Grue because I'm a bit of all three. Dork would be closest but I've never been socially awkward.

I use dork when someone I'm close to does something dumb, but silly. My friend PJ, who trips over her own feet on a regular basis, is a dork. I don't use it to describe people I don't really know well, if at all.

I normally don't call people geeks or nerds either. I don't like the idea of labeling someone that way just because of what they enjoy doing or reading. When I was growing up it was something to be ashamed of, something that made you an outcast. I would assume that plays a big part in why I choose not to use those names/labels/descriptors on a regular basis. Again, if it's someone I know pretty well I might tease them by saying "you are such a (geek or nerd)". For instance, I called my husband a nerd for wanting me to look up an article in Nature on Dirac monopoles in a synthetic magnetic field so he could read it for kicks. My friends who tell math jokes are nerds (and a bit weird, but that's a whole other subject). Would I say someone I am not familiar with who was asking about that article or who told me a math joke is a nerd? Probably not. They just have an interest in science or math or computers or comic books, etc.

Nerd and Geek are pretty much interchangeable now. I don't think either one has an official, distinctive definition. Dork, I'd say, still falls into the social awkward realm. I consider myself a dork, for example.

Personally, of the three, I like "nerd" the most because then I can shout NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD! to people.

GasBandit

Staff member
This is just my opinion on how I've generally heard the nomenclature used, but "Nerd" generally is an emphasis of a scholarly topic, and indicates a skill level or expertise on said topic. A "Geek" is less about skill and more about enthusiasm/obsession - more emotionally attached to a topic than cerebrally, as the nerd would be. A film geek may know lots about who directed/starred in what and plot points and trivia, but I'd expect a film nerd to be one level beyond - being knowledgeable about technical or craft topics to which a Geek might respond positively but not necessarily know/seek out on his own. It's... kind of like the difference between a scientist or engineer, and a technician.

Dork is simply a derogatory epithet for someone socially awkward. You don't have to be a nerd or a geek to be a dork, but sometimes they are labeled as such.

Gas beat me to it.
Nerds know a lot about a thing, even if they don't care about it. ("Brain-motivated")
Geeks passionately pursue a thing, but may not be knowledgeable. ("Heart-motivated")
"Dork" is a label applied to a person. When calling someone a "dork," you are telling those around you that this person should be shunned for not knowing how to act around/with other people. No idea whether it sprung etymologically from "dick" since it is technically a synonym, so I don't know if it means "Penis-motivated."

--Patrick

I don't know how well I fit into any of those. I'm a bit socially awkward, but usually just come off as quiet. I enjoy geek culture, but don't obsess about it. I'm also a bit more outdoorsy than most of those definitions would allow. So, I say Grue.