Need turntable advice

Ok, audiophiles, the title was a little vague, so let me explain-

In a few days I'm getting the vinyl box set put out by my favorite band, Failure (it's going to be INCREDIBLE). As such, i think I'm ready to buy a fairly ok/decent record player which can connect to my computer and play through the computer to my computer speakers. However, I don't really have the knowledge on what to ask and what to look for, and the information out there isn't really noob friendly.

So simply put- what system would i want to get which will allow me to play the records through my computer system using a typical USP format without having to switch it to a digital format? I really want to get the most and the experience out of my box set and may decide to look into a vinyl addition here and there for the bands I truly love. Generally I'm looking at the $200 range being something I can convince the wife of, though as high as $300 might be ok.

Thanks!

Pretty much anyone will tell you to look for a Technics SL-1200 unless you have some kind of exotic need.

--Patrick
Great for a regular turntable, but not for playing through the PC without an extra preamp. The Audio-Technica I used to have came with a USB connection, but because the preamp it was attached to sucked, removing that card like everyone eventually does also removed USB support.

Ah, I missed the "through my PC" part.
He's right, though. "Phono" output IS different from "Line Out" output, so you can't just plug a turntable right into your line-in jack without something between the two, or else without the software knowing it's supposed to be expecting phono-level signal instead of line-level signal.

EDIT: Looks like the $299 Audio-Technica LP120XUSB is pretty much the go-to these days (replacing the older LP120USB), though like you say, the site doesn't say anything about what sort of A/D USB converter is inside of it, only that the model is "newer."

--Patrick

Last edited:
Hm. Ok, thanks guys. I was looking at the LP120XUSP as it was suggested by Amazon (it's $250 on Amazon). Sounds like I'll need to look into a set of separate speakers if this is something I want to do then.

I suppose I could plug directly into my computer's speakers (It looks like there is R/W input on the back which match the cables that come with the turn table (I'm seriously NOT an audio guy, so these are just suppositions).

1599499328242.png

I don't have 5.1 on the speakers, just a bass/L/R speaker set up.

I'm seriously NOT an audio guy
Your R/W cable connectors are called "RCA connectors." Red is the right channel, and white is the left (and yellow, when present, is for composite video). Sometimes they will be red/black, but just remember that Red=Right. Mono audio is usually just a single white one. The pitchfork-looking thing is called a "spade lug" and is there to allow you to ground them in case you pick up extra hum.
And a bass+left+right speaker system is called "2.1"

--Patrick

Lol, I swear I responded! Guess I forgot to hit Post.

Thank you both for your input (no pun intended) and expert advice!

Is a pre-amplifier something I'm going to need, or should it work fine using the RCA connectors directly to the speakers?

Thanks again!

Lol, I swear I responded! Guess I forgot to hit Post.

Thank you both for your input (no pun intended) and expert advice!

Is a pre-amplifier something I'm going to need, or should it work fine using the RCA connectors directly to the speakers?

Thanks again!
If you're going to connect to the PC or directly to the speakers, YES. Even if it's the LP120. Because the internal preamp sucks, and even bypassing it with the switch doesn't completely disable the circuitry. Which is why so many people did the surgery to remove it. (I'm talking the older LP120 like I had here. Once I got my 1200, I stopped following updates to the Audio-Technica line. Other forums may have more up-to-date information on the newer models.)

OR...

You get a receiver with a dedicated Phono input. That unit will have a preamp already in place. A vintage audio shop will gladly help you go down that particular rabbit hole. :D

Lol, this is what I was afraid of. A thing to make the thing work with the other things. Nothing is easy with Vinyl.

Ok, thanks guys! I'll let you know what I decide to do. I'm only getting the 4 record box set and 3 were released digitally to us, so I may decide to just display it in a frame and call it a day if I can get the final record digitally too. It's all I really have, and I recognize where this goes if I decide to start down the path of a record player. I am both scared and excited.

If I were starting over again, I wouldn't be adverse to buying this.

One thing that is MANDATORY on that turntable is replacing the slipmat with something with a little more heft to it. A mat from a Technics SL-1200 will do just fine.