Need to replace my computer, but...

figmentPez

Staff member
My computer of 6 years is finally showing signs that it's got something serious wrong. Since malware scans haven't found anything. I'm assuming it's either a massive case of bit-rot since my last reinstall, or it's parts starting to fail. Given the computer's age, I'm betting on the latter.

The problem is that I'm living off my parent's dime right now, and while they will buy me a new computer, I have no idea what type of budget they'll approve, so I need to convince them of what a reasonable budget would be. If you guys could help me figure out what a mid-range system is these days, since I'm out of the loop on current models of anything.

I really like some help finding out what a decent case costs these days. The case I'm using is an Antec 1030B from my first computer build, back in 2001 I think. I reused it in my last build (my computers tend to last, my first build survived 7 years). I'd like to get something more modern, with larger fan sizes and less noise. I'm not looking for silent, but the 4x80mm fans in my current case are more than noticeable. I probably won't be working on my computer very much, and I won't be overclocking or anything, so it doesn't have to be some perfect gem of design, but I don't even know where to begin to look.

I'll keep my monitor, speakers and mouse, and I think I have a Win7 license I can reuse, but I think everything else needs to be replaced. Technically my keyboard is still functional, but I want to at least look at replacement options. (It's a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro, and while it's very comfortable for typing, it's starting to show wear in how well the keys respond, and very few of the function keys work with the current version of Windows because it's so old.)

TLDR: Fill me in on what's current mid-range options are for:
- Case
- Mobo
- Processor (and should I go with a 3rd party cooler if I'm not overclocking?)
- Memory amount & standard
- Are optical drives even a thing anymore?
- Video card
- Hard drive (or SSD, if they're cheap enough to be mid-range)
- PSU

- Is ATX still going to be the best bet? Or is Micro-ATX or some other smaller format a viable option these days?

- Am I correct in assuming that it would not be wise to reuse my PSU? It's 520 Watts, which is still enough for a mid-range system, but I'm guessing it's not going to deliver reliable power forever.

Bonus:
- Keyboard recommendations
- Any decent audio cards that output either DDLive or DTS-connect? My speakers accept digital input, either Dolby 5.1 or DTS 5.1 but I've never gotten an audio card that can actually process game sound into that format.

- Is ATX still going to be the best bet? Or is Micro-ATX or some other smaller format a viable option these days?
I'll start by addressing this specific question. If you're only going to use one graphics card and don't need more than 1xOptical drive and maybe 2xHDD, and don't need much internal expansion (no specialized add-on cards for audio and the like), then Micro-ATX (or µATX) is everything you're going to need. USB3.x and the like have made it so "extras" which require fast communication no longer have to reside inside the computer any longer. In fact, may people are moving to Mini-ITX, which is an even smaller form factor, but while tiny and portable, the lack of internal space often creates cooling and cable routing issues, so µATX is usually the "sweet spot" for most. There are plenty of very, very nice mATX cases out there (such as the Silverstone TJ08-E, for example) which have plenty of room, are easily accessible, and accommodate nice, large fans.

More later, I'm already a day late getting back to @grub in his thread. Yesterday wasn't nice.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Thanks so much for the input. I'm not in a hurry yet, since my computer is playing nice for now. I know how to do all the research myself, I just don't want to. I'll definitely have to look at µATX, though I may just go with ATX since it'll probably be cheaper, and I obviously don't mind a large case given when I have currently.

And, as per usual, I'll throw in www.logicalincrements.com - not a guide, but a touchstone to see how you're doing price-to-power-wise and to get a feel for a balanced build. As Gas said, you can build plenty of PC for that money, especially if you can recycle some parts.

Dave

Staff member
I'm super glad I got my new rig. I still geek out about getting the parts and building it myself.

figmentPez

Staff member
My mom, "Well, can't you just get a $300 laptop and be fine?"

... I hope this is not a bad sign. I'm surprised to find that there actually are sub-$300 laptops that are not chromebooks, but they look like they've got specs on par with my current desktop, and lower screen resolution.

I suppose I can always hold out as long as possible, but one of those if my system actually dies, and try to get to the point where I'm earning my own money to save for a real build, but I'm hoping I can get a decent budget. I'll have to put forth multiple options and hope for the best.

GasBandit

Staff member
My mom, "Well, can't you just get a $300 laptop and be fine?"
Sure, if the only thing you want to do is write e-mail and check facebook.

If you want to game, you're looking at $500 minimum for a desktop, and if you're going laptop, probably closer to twice that.

Dave

Staff member

If you want to game, you're looking at $500 minimum for a desktop, and if you're going laptop, probably closer to twice that.
Gas is telling the absolute truth here. You can get a great gaming rig for $600, but it'll be obsolete soon.

Computers are like cars. Yeah, you can save money, but you get what you pay for.

Heck, you can't even check Facebook for <$300 these days. Even an iPad Air is better than whatever they're going to try and pass off in a $300 desktop.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Just tell your mother that the $300 laptops are there to sucker people who don't know about computers and don't actually have anything to do that requires a computer.

figmentPez

Staff member

Gaming is not something my parents will view as a necessity. They'd probably prefer that gaming not be possible. If I can't justify it in terms of schoolwork, productivity, usability, longevity, or other practical matters, then they'll just shoot down any unecessary expenses.

I can make a good argument for such a cheap laptop not having enough screen real estate to do schoolwork. I know that online classes would be decidedly more difficult on 1366x768 (though I could hook it up to my monitor when at home).

I'm not sure what's in my dad's head as far as money goes. He might say fine $1,000, get something that will last. Or he might say that I have to get the cheapest I can find, and anything it can't do I'll need to go to the college's computer lab to work on. I'll find out after I put forth some proposed budgets to him.[DOUBLEPOST=1410558292,1410557990][/DOUBLEPOST]One thing that may save me, though, is that my dad has had multiple laptops fail on him in the past, and sees the value of getting a desktop that has user replaceable parts.

My inclination is to get a rig between ~$800 - 1,000+ just because I know that I can build something from parts that are likely to last past their warranty.

figmentPez

Staff member
That's a good point - I'd expect a $300 laptop to fail catastrophically before too long.
So would I, but then the $350 netbook that I bought 5 years ago is still running just fine. It's WiFi is a little flaky, but that's the way it's always been. Everything else works just fine. It's actually a pretty solid little thing. Hell, it still gets well over 2 hours of battery life (down from ~4½).

Cheap computers are a huge crap-shoot, though. Most of the cheap laptops I've seen friends and family use have something that breaks easily. My sister's computers have all had keys that fell off, track pad buttons that stopped responding, ports fail (especially the charging port), hinges that go floppy, and that's not counting just generally being flaky messes, with awful driver support for hardware prone to errors that could be physical or software.

If it were me, I'd try to put together a quality cpu and motherboard, and then upgrade that later on with a high end graphics card for gaming when I was able to afford to. But then I also hate taking money from my parents, and this is coming from someone that has had to take a lot from the over the past year due to the whole losing my job thing.

If you buy a $300 laptop or a $400 computer, you'll have to replace most or all of it, doubling its cost, over the next two years. These are cheap computers, and they will break and you will lose data at the worst possible moment - when you're using them the most at the end of a given semester. It's not worth it.

Don't buy cheap. Find the cheapest one that would fit your needs, then find the ideal computer you'd really, really like to have, then find something in the middle. You will get a lousy computer if you go cheap. You'll waste your money (bad bang for your buck) if you go expensive. But there's a sweet spot in the middle where the bank for the buck is great, and it's not a piece of junk.

If you need ammunition to convince your parents, just ask your fellow students what they're using. Note the make, model, year, and cost. Ask your professors what they recommend. They will invariably recommend higher than the cheap systems.

If you just want a solid laptop that will last, get an apple. You can still load windows on it if you need to, but honestly there isn't a bad apple laptop in their lineup right now. You'll be paying twice as much, but even if you get their cheapest laptop you'll be happy with it for a long time. Get the extra applecare with it, though.

If you want a good desktop, just plan on spending $800-$1,200, but honestly for school you'll be better off with a laptop.

So you're now looking at one of three possibilities:

1) Build/Buy the cheapest thing possible and hope that it lasts
2) Build the least expensive thing you can that has as much "core" as you can afford and will allow you to grow it into something good later
3) Buy somewhat expensive built from parts which ensure longevity

If it were me, I'd pounce right onto option #2, but that is also the option least likely to be found in a laptop.

--Patrick