[Brazelton] Neal Adams

Legendary comic book artist Neal Adams, whose career spanned nearly 60 years and included revitalizing Batman and the Joker for DC as well as decades of work for artists’ rights and a commitment to social relevance in his work, died early in the morning yesterday, according to his daughter-in-law Saori Adams. He was 80.

In 1969, Adams and writer Dennis O’Neil pulled Batman back from the campy persona he had been saddled with on TV through a series of dark comics appropriate to the times. During the period, the duo also re-grounded The Joker in his homicidal roots, revived Two-Face and created Ra’s al Ghul. (Deadline)

In 1969, Adams and writer Dennis O’Neil pulled Batman back from the campy persona he had been saddled with on TV through a series of dark comics appropriate to the times. During the period, the duo also re-grounded The Joker in his homicidal roots, revived Two-Face and created Ra’s al Ghul. (Deadline)
I know that quote's from the Deadline article (and not you, so no blame aimed at you ;)), but it really does a disservice to the artists and writers who wrote legitimately fun and interesting stories for Batman (and others) during the Silver Age while the Comics Code was in effect. People act like this was some kind of shameful period in comics, but it was also one of the best selling periods in comics history because they were widely available to the public via newsstands and supermarkets. You don't HAVE comic books without the work of the Silver Age.

That said, Neal Adams did a lot of amazing work and his advocacy was super important to the industry at large. He will be missed.

I know that quote's from the Deadline article (and not you, so no blame aimed at you ;)), but it really does a disservice to the artists and writers who wrote legitimately fun and interesting stories for Batman (and others) during the Silver Age while the Comics Code was in effect. People act like this was some kind of shameful period in comics, but it was also one of the best selling periods in comics history because they were widely available to the public via newsstands and supermarkets. You don't HAVE comic books without the work of the Silver Age.

That said, Neal Adams did a lot of amazing work and his advocacy was super important to the industry at large. He will be missed.
I saw in another article a comment that, in my opinion, reflects Adams work on Batman and it's change in tone more accurately:
I think [describing it as "grittier"] undersells O’Neil and Adams’ run, maybe even smears it a little. Yeah it was grittier and “realer” than camp Batman.

But their relaunch still had humor. It had a Bruce Wayne with a life, and personality. A Batman with friends. It focused on the “detective” end of Worlds Greatest Detective, and brought martial arts genre conventions to the table.

It was Batman as a whole person, and concerned with the political and criminal intrigue around Gotham. It was fantastical as hell where it needed be; they created Ra’s Al Ghul. Lazarius pits, secret society and all.

It’s a far, far cry from the “Bruce Wayne is the real mask” ultra-bleak take we get in the wake of Frank Miller.

When people bitch about comics being "woke", remind them that's old news because Adams and O'Neil were putting social issues in comics fifty years ago in Green Lantern/Green Arrow. And they co-created John Stewart.

Batman editorial really took a turn into camp after the success of Batman television of ‘66 and its campiness. Silver Age had some great stories and I don’t feel that statement is what the author is meaning for SA stories vs the almost television level over the top campy stories that were losing readers every month for those 3 years. O’Neil and Adams were just about given free range in an attempt to save the title from cancellation.