Natural Hair Doll

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my goddaughter's birthday, I wanted to make her a natural hair doll. We're trying to teach her at a young age that natural is beautiful.

This is the doll fresh out of the box. Her hair looks nothing like ethnic hair. (The process of how it was done is within the spoiler- pictures included)

Once I took the hair out of its plastic cover and combed it out a bit, it didn't look to nice.
I had to interweave the hair with v-shaped pipe cleaners. Once that was done all the way around, I boiled the head for 10 seconds then let it dry overnight and into the next day.
The entire tutorial can be found here: http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/2011/07/natural-hair-for-dolls-tutorial.html The hair turns into rotini curls, which you then separate into a huge, poofy mess! I had to cut it down, brush it and style the hair to a shape that reflects my goddaughter's hair.

One awesome outfit and haircut later, this is the finished product:

I'm super excited about the finished product. The texture and style are just like my goddaughter's. I'm usually not the craftiest person in the world, but this will make a great doll for her to beat around.

That is awesome! I have dark, naturally curly hair. When I was growing up I always wished for a doll that had my hair instead of blonde and straight.

I'm so excited about it. She has three cousins that are all mixed and we're trying to instill the importance of individuality. You don't have to look one way to be beautiful. My best friend even cut off all of her permed hair and went totally natural in order to set a good example for her daughter. I was so happy that I cried. Kristina (my goddaughter) is a part of my extended second family via my best friend. Our crazy family is a mix of people from different ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, sexualities. We take any and everyone!

Now, I have a godson as well and that leaves a whole new world to explore!

Status
Not open for further replies.