My wireless. My freaking wireless!

Dave

Staff member
Okay, so I go to bed early last night because I could and it was a good idea. About 11 pm my daughter, her boyfriend, and my wife all crowd into the doorway and announce, "The wi-fi is down." So I get up and tinker with it until 1 am. No dice. So I go to bed. Get home from work tonight and still nothing.

• WNDR 3700 dual band wireless router
  • Tested both cables from the cable modem directly to the computer - have internet both times. This tells me it's not the cables or the NIC card.
  • Search the living shit out of Google to find something, but nothing helps. I've even done a complete factory reset and I still get the same thing. All lights are solid but the internet light is blinking green.
  • FUCK THIS STUPID THING!!
Factory reset, did everything I could think of or read and nothing. I'm wondering if my router went bye bye.

GasBandit

Staff member
Okay, so I go to bed early last night because I could and it was a good idea. About 11 pm my daughter, her boyfriend, and my wife all crowd into the doorway and announce, "The wi-fi is down." So I get up and tinker with it until 1 am. No dice. So I go to bed. Get home from work tonight and still nothing.

• WNDR 3700 dual band wireless router
  • Tested both cables from the cable modem directly to the computer - have internet both times. This tells me it's not the cables or the NIC card.
  • Search the living shit out of Google to find something, but nothing helps. I've even done a complete factory reset and I still get the same thing. All lights are solid but the internet light is blinking green.
  • FUCK THIS STUPID THING!!
Factory reset, did everything I could think of or read and nothing. I'm wondering if my router went bye bye.
It happens. I've found the average lifespan of an inexpensive SOHO wireless router to be 2 to 3 years. Since you get internet plugging directly from the cable modem to the computer, and you've done a factory reset on the router and it still won't play ball, I'm of the opinion you need a new router.

Yup. You can try and connect a computer to the LAN side and see if it is demanding a firmware update or something, failing that you can force a firmware update, but if neither of those do anything it's time to either find and kill the "disable wireless" setting to switch the wifi back on or else replace the router due to hardware failure.

--Patrick

Not enough you have to rebuild your PC every 3-5 years, now you gotta replace your network infrastructure, too?

--Patrick

I think he was making a joke/reference to the recent PC-vs-Console cost discussion.
I know. But people would think he's serious so I'm addressing those folks.
Nope. Serious. Just a general lament.
Keep in mind that since I maintain all of my own tech, the majority of it still works, it's just no longer relevant.
And since we have a large house and multiple access points, I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to spend $600 or so to replace 'em all when 802.11ac just ain't good enough any longer.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
In the time between buying my last $50 router and replacing it with this $50 router, every console has gone through one or even two generations, which equals about $800+ not counting the games.

So PC wins again, Lews Therin.