My regional candy product is better than yours

Speaking of regional foods: have any of you heard of honey butter as something to dip sweet potato fries in? I was talking with friends and one of them said he thinks it's only around here and I really don't know now.

Speaking of regional foods: have any of you heard of honey butter as something to dip sweet potato fries in? I was talking with friends and one of them said he thinks it's only around here and I really don't know now.
Honey butter is used for a number of things - though I generally associate it with sopaipillas, a fried quick bread which is a treat with honey butter - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopaipilla

Can't fry them fast enough for my brood.

I don't know any regional info about either, but my parents did it in Georgia, and I continue to do them occasionally here in michigan.

I think there's a chain buffet restaurant around here that stocks honey butter next to their rolls, which has a southern theme, so if anything I'd guess honey butter is a southern type condiment. Have never seen it prepackaged, though.[DOUBLEPOST=1498660749,1498660598][/DOUBLEPOST]This article suggests that honey was used as a preservative for butter in ocean voyaging days:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...his-delicious-spread-was-born/article4439456/

I've heard of honey butter as something to use on baked sweet potatoes, but usually just laugh at people that do it because invariably, they're trying to find a condiment that fits a baked sweet potato the way that sour cream, cheese, butter, etc. fits a baked non-sweet potato - and usually it goes a little something like this:

***Attention Type 2 Diabetics! Do you miss baked russet potatoes since your diagnosis?! Miss them no more! Just have a baked sweet potato with honey butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar! They're awesome! And, while you're at it, have this non-dairy ice cream substitute which is just mashed bananas and peanut butter! It's totally great too! And, you should give up sugar and just drink apple juice all the time! Oh, and since your doctor no doubt told you to increase your vegetable consumption, you should have Waldorf Salads all the time now, and tons of melon and other fruits! It's healthy! Oh, and beer is bad for you now too, so switch to rum! Follow these simple steps and your diabetic life will be over faster than you can blink!^***

^Because you'll be dead.

I've heard of honey butter as a condiment for plenty of things, but never for sweet potato fries. Around my house the only condiments for sweet potato fries are ketchup or chili salt (1 unit each of chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder mixed with 2 units of salt).

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
If we can use "stuff from your state that's good even though everyone has access to it now", then how about the York peppermint patty? SC's gift to the candy world. Named for York, SC.

Hushpuppies with honey butter are practically candy.

I'm going to Sunset Beach, NC in five days, which is next to Calabash, NC - the (self-styled) fried seafood capital of the world, and hushpuppy Mecca as far as I'm concerned. I've already packed my one-size-too-large pants to accommodate the inevitable waistline inflation.

Now this is weird to me because I don't think I've ever seen honey butter in any context besides sweet potato fries.

The only place I can recall seeing honey butter is at a restaurant with the free bread.
Yes, I got it most often at Steak & Ale restaurants. They would serve it with their little dark table loaves.
But it's equally at home on biscuits, cinnamon toast, pancakes, basically any breakfast bread.

--Patrick

Oh sure, tell the WORLD, why don'tcha.

--Patrick
I carefully evaluated every single [recipe] I disclosed to ensure that each was legitimately in the public interest. There are all sorts of [recipes] that would have made a big impact that I didn't turn over, because harming people isn't my goal. Transparency is.

-Edward Snowden

Well, now I just need to find something I really want to put it on.

I have determined the old native classic frybread will be the vessel.

I think they're called "Loaded Baked Potato" here in the States.

--Patrick
No, they're called All Dressed. They pop up here from time to time.

In various taste test videos on YouTube, folks routinely give the Canadian version higher marks. Even looking at them, you can tell the original has more flavoring on the chips.