My Night Pictures

I don't want to spam the main picture thread, so here are some of my favourite night pictures.

This is 113 30 second exposures taken in the backyard. This is the owl's favourite tree and mine too :)
StarStaX_IMG_3940-IMG_4044_gap_filling comet mode 2.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1439954216,1439954087][/DOUBLEPOST]My very favourite Nothern Lights picture that I've taken. I love how soft everything looks with the 35mm.
IMG_8017 best edit.jpg

So many stars. I'm used to seeing a dozen at most. Maybe a full score when the big dipper's in the sky. I only know the Milky Way from pictures.

My name is Joe, and I am a city boy.

Also, nice pictures.

I only know the Milky Way from pictures.
I've only ever seen the Milky Way on vacation in Eastern Africa and South Africa. Nowhere in Europe I've ever been - including out-back-nowhere in Croatia and the middle of the Alps - can you properly see it (exceptionally bright nights excluded, but even so). I was honestly and seriously surprised when I first saw it with my bare eyes - I always figured those pictures were from longer exposure, or colored to be more easy to see like "nebula" pictures always are.

I've only ever seen the Milky Way on vacation in Eastern Africa and South Africa. Nowhere in Europe I've ever been - including out-back-nowhere in Croatia and the middle of the Alps - can you properly see it (exceptionally bright nights excluded, but even so). I was honestly and seriously surprised when I first saw it with my bare eyes - I always figured those pictures were from longer exposure, or colored to be more easy to see like "nebula" pictures always are.
The Milky Way wasn't visible last night from the backyard due to light pollution. The only reason I was able to photograph it is that I used my mount to track my camera and used an exceptionally long exposure to collect enough light for it to be seen in the picture.

I was honestly and seriously surprised when I first saw it with my bare eyes - I always figured those pictures were from longer exposure, or colored to be more easy to see like "nebula" pictures always are.
I've mentioned my times in the UP before. When you're on a lakeshore and the nearest city of any size is 12 miles away, the disk of the Milky Way is impossible to ignore, and looks like someone kicked over a can of glitter paint across the sky. It's pretty impressive.

--Patrick

The Milky Way wasn't visible last night from the backyard due to light pollution. The only reason I was able to photograph it is that I used my mount to track my camera and used an exceptionally long exposure to collect enough light for it to be seen in the picture.
Now imagine your pics in the secret spot with the mount problems fixed!

That last one was one I took in Yellowknife earlier this year but didn't have the knowledge of Lightroom to edit properly until now. The pink blob is the city itself and adds a ton of light/editing hassles to the picture.

Hmm. If it wasn't for the light pollution, desaturating these long exposures looks like it could be interesting.

--Patrick