[Rant] Moving to Pennsylvania

I'm moving to PA. The company I work for has opened a new facility there and a little while ago I was flown out for a week to do a "working interview." I'm excited about the opportunity. It does not come with a pay increase, or a promotion, or any extra compensation of any sort, and a slight change of roles. But the opportunity for growth is great, and I will be an integral part of getting this new facility up and running.

So, why the rant? We all know moving sucks. And the company is doing ZERO to assist in the move. No moving expenses, no gas reimbursement (it is a 2600 mile move), no housing assistance. Nothing. But that's not really my rant. If it were anyone else doing this I would probably tell them it was a dumb move and shouldn't be done. But for me it's an exciting opportunity. Some may remember a couple years back, or even further back than that when I have basically lost everything. And the last few (maybe 6 years) haven't excatly been banner years. But things have been moving up. And since then I haven't accumulated much, I'm making this move with what fits in my car (pretty much everything I own) and setting up in a new place on the other side of the country. I'm actually looking forward to it.

But trying to find a place to rent.... that's fucking ridiculous. Especially not being there, and complicated more by the (very) limited budget and the lack of rental history for the last several years, it's been stupid. I'm seriously starting to believe that there may be NO real private listing on craigslist for rentals anymore that are not scams. People posting hoping for replies and all with excuses in their reply to you about trying to get personal information, having excuses about why they can't talk to you on the phone, some that won't even tell you the actual address of a place, many saying "If you see a sign in the house it's old and I got rid of that company" or some such, some even trying to send you to websites "get your credit report here and send it to us" or other BS. :mad:

Also complicating the finding a place thing: I will have my children with me for the summer. Only two months, but it means needing more space in the beginning and then paying for that space that won't need later. Yes it would be nice to always have extra rooms for them when they come see me, but as it is, outside of the summer I never get to see them for more than a week at a time, at the most. And before next summer I could probably easily find a larger place that is suitable, but needing it NOW is a complication. And frankly, doesn't fit well in the budget.

It's frustrating. I have about two weeks before I drive out and I really can't afford to stay in a hotel or something while I find a place in person, and I will be working immediately upon getting there so.... *grumble*

Just wanted to rant. And if anyone has some advice or experience on trying to find a place from a distance I would happily listen/read it.

Last edited:
When I did a similar move from Houston to Dallas, I stayed an an "extended stay hotel" for about 2 months while I looked for a permanent place--Intown Suites. They have one in Pittsburgh, at $160/week base rate.

When I moved from Dallas to Virginia, I researched apartments online, flew out for a day a month before the move, spent all day looking at apartments, and put money down before flying back. That's a bit more of an expensive way of doing things.

You should be able to find an inexpensive (relative to hotel) extended stay place as Tin suggested.

Aside from that, network, network, network! You have friends who have friends that live in the area. They may be able to tell you of opportunities.

I have looked at extended stays as an option but I am not seeing the options that you guys are. Of what I'm seeing they are looking like 300+ for even just a week. In that light, I would love to be educated on where you guys are able to find the good rates.

What part of PA? I have friends and family scattered throughout the state. If I know someone in the area, I can ask them for recommendations.

PA is pretty big. Can you narrow down the city or region, and how far you're willing to drive to work each way?

What part of PA? I have friends and family scattered throughout the state. If I know someone in the area, I can ask them for recommendations.
PA is pretty big. Can you narrow down the city or region, and how far you're willing to drive to work each way?
heh, in my mind PA is pretty small but ya, I'm not sure why I didn't just come out and say it in the first place. The facility is in Bethlehem. I've been currently looking within 25 miles of the facility and don't think I want to go much beyond that for the extra gas expenditure and the commute time looks uncomfortable as it is even within that distance. But realistically, anything that's within the Lehigh valley area (that's the area as it's known) is considered.

I was going to say Allentown. Maybe Lehighton, too. I'm going to ask some friends tonight and see what they say.

Unfortunately, the only Intown Suites I found (at $160/week) was 4.5 hours from Bethlehem. :(

Everything I found close to you was in the 300+/week range

Well, still hunting.
Reached out maybe a dozen different times and places yesterday, zero returns, other than automatic replies on a few of them saying "come to our office, or thanks for the interest now call us to schedule a showing.... seriously?

Anyhow, I appreciate everyone's input and what assists/advice you guys can provide. Just wanted to be sure that I mentioned that and said thanks.

25 hours till I scheduled myself to move out and get on the road. One last day of work here, still a few things left to pack....

... and still no home. *sigh* At this stage I guess I'm hoping to have a few things lined up to view upon my arrival hopefully with the understanding that they investigate me before hand and I can take possession of anything that's worthwhile immediately. I hope anyhow.

Dave

Staff member
I'd help but I know nobody there. It's like a black hole in my network of friends and family.

It's been a couple of days but I have made it. And lucked into a place in really happy with. I seriously lucked into it. I have just been so busy I have not had a chance to update this thread. But I got here later than I had intended, spent a few hours and I hotels sleeping and then went straight to one of only two appointments that I had been able to schedule to look at apartments. On my way one called and cancelled saying they had already rented the place. The one I did make it to was a little more expensive than I wanted and not a great place but I was tempted to take it anyway then I thought it would be a terrible idea to say yes to the first place I saw. I think the landlord realize that I was going to say no, and offered to show me a place that he had just evicted someone out of. I looked at it it was in the same building but it was a lot nicer for only a few dollars more a month. It is not actually a nice place. But it's quite and after getting to look around the area I absolutely love its location. All the things in the neighborhood are things that I would want and are within walking distance and work is only a 20 minute drive away. So no more rent. I have been here for a few days have been working. It had to get a hotel room for one more night while I was here while he prepared the place for me to move in, spent the first night with no electricity and sleeping on the floor. But now I have power I have food in my fridge I have been working, and things are going very well. I honestly at this stage feel like the move here was the best move I could make. I fell in love with the area, again, as I was driving in and have been very pleased ever since driving into the state. Sorry if this is a run-on, but it's sent by voice chat through my phone.