[Announcement] Moving On

Lmao I just reread the "burger" thread and described chipotle as "one of my 5 favorite places to eat." It's amazing how true that was and how much that has changed.

Spoiler: forcing yourself to eat at the same restaurant known for a limited menu 3 times a week for 3 months is a good way to get sick of it.

I think what we really need is an influx of new members. Otherwise it's the same several dozen who have been talking to each other over the past decade.

I think what we really need is an influx of new members. Otherwise it's the same several dozen who have been talking to each other over the past decade.
Not only that, but the ever-shrinking subset of that group who still manage to make time to come here.

Dave

Staff member
I been saying that for years but couldn't find a way to bring people here. We get occasional one-offs that stick around and we LOVE them! But it's hard driving traffic here.

Yeah, I know. We don't really have a strong unifying thing, and I don't want to force one - saying "we're THE premier forum for talking about Minotaur Penis" isn't all that useful, saying "we're the number one forum to talk about golf" is, well, laughable, and would invalidate all the non-golf people here.

I don't see an influx as something that should be steady. My expectation is that we occasionally get handfuls of people thrown at us, a few stick, fast forward a few years and it happens again, etc.

--Patrick

TBH I hate new people. And if they are under the age of 30 I'm likely to find them really annoying.

I've tried several times over the years. Only "success" was a couple of past girlfriends. One which I think still participates in the Secret Santa every year. The other...doesn't come here anymore thanks to post-breakup drama.

But I've tried inviting other friends to join, but to no success.

I remember that a few years ago we got a new member who only made one post, and that was to ask me for an apple brownies recipe. She got the recipe and disappeared. How weird is that?

And combing through old threads, we had a ton of people leave in 2012-13. I think the late North Ranger was the glue that kept some Halforumites here.

I remember that a few years ago we got a new member who only made one post, and that was to ask me for an apple brownies recipe. She got the recipe and disappeared. How weird is that?

And combing through old threads, we had a ton of people leave in 2012-13. I think the late North Ranger was the glue that kept some Halforumites here.
I think this predates North Ranger's passing, but there was also big drama involving The Artist Formerly Known as Chaz, when he was banned. There was a Halforums IRC group with a bunch of people who left over it. I can't remember any details from it. Something about a conspiracy that a new forum member was actually Chaz or something.

Speaking of drama, I'm genuinely surprised Charlie Don't Surf hasn't resurfaced. I don't think he's posted since Trump's election.

I feel like the 2013-2014 era is when I sort of stopped thinking to check Halforums as often because that's when I got into Reddit, which was hitting the dopamine rush of new threads and new topics more frequently and has zero shortage of new person influx. But there's definitely an advantage to a smaller community where you immediately recognize each person posting and have a general idea of their personality and post history. I may lurk more often than I actually post, heck there's a lot of times I'll type out a post just to not submit it or to immediately delete it, but browsing Halforums feels more intimate and I find myself thinking about what specific people here said far more often than on other sites, even if I personally disagree with the politics of a lot of them. Really sad to come back and notice that certain major players have been gone for six months or more, or see people leave over drama I didn't even realize was ongoing.

fade

Staff member
This is not the post I wanted to be making this week. If I was going to post anywhere specifically about being back, it would've been in the "Introduce Yourself" thread, since a lot has happened in my life since I was around last, and since I felt that my entire core philosophy had been deeply misunderstood, at a bedrock level, when I left. But, I can't. I don't like who we've become as a group, and I'm no longer comfortable being a member, so it's time for me to move on. I love all of you, individually, and you're all more than welcome to keep in touch.

Discord: Garedicus#9038

This forum, in this iteration, has been around for 10.5 years. I was always proud to be a member, but lately, it has started to make me feel very uncomfortable. So much so that I took a six month hiatus, and then sat down and thought long and hard about whether or not I wanted to open myself emotionally to this group, before ever coming back to post anything. I decided that having a community, and being involved in the lives of the people I love and miss, was worth the risk; but I didn't even have to post anything outside of my PTSD thread before that notion had been knocked out of my head.

We have a problem, as a community. We pick on people. We don't mean to do it, I don't think, for the most part, but we do. We find one thing that a member has as a trigger, and we poke at it until they explode. I've been a part of the poking, and I've been one of the poked, and neither of them felt good. Stienman made a comment (paraphrasing) in my previous goodbye thread about how there was no one specific comment or incident that made him leave, but rather that he felt he had to put on a mask and cover his true self in order to be part of the community, because his own beliefs were so anathema to others here, that he didn't feel comfortable sharing them. I feel very similar, only in my case I feel like I have to put on a mask and a pair of blinders and pretend that very good friends of mine haven't said really horrible, hurtful things about and to other friends of mine, so that I can have people to commiserate with when I had a shitty meal or bad day mental-health wise.

In the past almost 11 years we've poked to explosion/exclusion:
  • Pojodan because he was a furry,
  • Icarus and/or Iaculus because one of them was a paedophile and the other had a similar name,
  • figmentPez, because we refused to accept that he could honestly be LittleKagSin's friend and not have feelings for her, and he used the word gams,
  • North_Ranger regarding sauna pants (and a whole bunch of shit while he was dying of cancer that was so far beyond the pale that I'm still sickened by some of us),
  • Calleja, over tacos (it was actually in 2013, in the thread "How to Properly Eat a Burger," I went back and re-read it today),
  • Stienman, over his various religious and personal beliefs,
  • Me, for expressing fear of the authoritarianism that I felt at the time of the last election,
  • DarkAudit, over his calling out of PatrThom,
  • PatrThom, because (as near as I can tell) he once used the letters RNG instead of the letters GOD, and because he doesn't have a replacement for iTunes,
And those are only the ones of us that I remember, the ones who didn't just quietly slip away, or decide to bugger off before they even became familiar names/avatars/view points. For most of us, I'm sure it's not something we're doing intentionally. We say things about each other that we don't mean, that we would never say in most circumstances, but in a moment of anger, or frustration, or hurt, we lash out at each other and once one of us has a scent, the whole pack leaps into the fray. We pick sides, we circle around for a page or two, and then we either strike hard and fast, or we let it fade away and simmer for months before bringing it up again. In short - we're in an abusive relationship with ourselves.

Can the relationship be saved? I don't know. There are some big cracks, and this is a bad time in the world. We need to come together, and stand up for one another, and love one another - online, as well as in real life. We need to stop and think more, instead of posting and speaking in haste. We need to remember not just the person behind the keyboard, but everything we know about the person behind the keyboard. It's going to be hard. And, you're going to have to do it without me, because I'm just not strong enough to walk back onto the firing line yet.

- Gared
Oh, and you can go ahead and pronounce it with the hard G, instead of Jared with a J - Fogle, Kushner, and Pro are not people with whom I want to be associated, tyvm.
I feel you, man. It's more or less the same reason I left. That, and it seemed like literally every single thing I said was met with some drawn out, angry argument. And usually one that seems so silly in retrospect. The straw that broke the camel's back was when a member I actually liked a lot decided apparently to make it his personal mission to find fault with every thing I said. Oh well. It's kind of end-of-Stand-By-Me sad. I remember the good times fondly, but now some of us are working part time at the scrap yard or in and out of prison.

I feel you, man. It's more or less the same reason I left. That, and it seemed like literally every single thing I said was met with some drawn out, angry argument. And usually one that seems so silly in retrospect. The straw that broke the camel's back was when a member I actually liked a lot decided apparently to make it his personal mission to find fault with every thing I said. Oh well. It's kind of end-of-Stand-By-Me sad. I remember the good times fondly, but now some of us are working part time at the scrap yard or in and out of prison.
I actually work at an In-N-Out in a prison.