[Movies] Movies that have cool but completely unrealistic parts.

Starship Troopers, space faring humans failed to notice an asteroid?

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back, intergalactic space travel but have to search Hoth 1 square meter at a time.

And it pains me, but almost everything in 12 Angry Men is illegal.

And in general the whole we only use 10% of our brains myth.

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back, intergalactic space travel but have to search Hoth 1 square meter at a time.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis, so much this! For me the dumbest was in Lucy where unlocking 100 percent of her brain...turned her into an energy being or something?

Most people only use 10% of their brain because the other 90% is doing things like running your heart and lungs, keeping you from falling over, worrying about bills, trying to figure out if that other person is coming onto you, remembering that time in 3rd grade when you threw up on the school bus, etc.

--Patrick

As for ST, while the movie has many, many flaws, that's not really one of them. The asteroids were moved into position and slingshotted (slungshot?) towards Earth at a considerable fraction of the speed of light. It was too late to protect against when it was noticed. While the Bugs continue shooting asteroids, once the humans know about them, it's fairly trivial too set up an early warning system and shoot them before they reach earth.

The same movie shows the asteroid being...slung...towards earth from clear across the Milky Way and arriving only months later, though, which is completely impossible in the universe given its ftl technology.

All these points about the asteroid in Starship Troopers has led to fan speculation that the asteroid hadn't been sent by the bugs at all, and that Earth's government basically used it as an excuse to attack Klendathu. I don't think it was ever confirmed in the movie, but it does fit the MO of the pseudo-fascist government shown in the film.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ad Astra has the most unrealistic "jumping from one thing in space to another thing in space" segment since The Martian.

figmentPez

Staff member
Not a movie, but I've been watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and while there's a lot I'll overlook because it's a comedy... Do they really expect me to believe that three cops got handcuffed together and not a single one of them knows how to pick or shim the cuffs?

Dave

Staff member
Rewatched "Yesterday". I really like the movie but there's a really unrealistic part where
he tells the stadium crowd that he didn't write the songs and they just kind of accept it instead of revolting. And I wonder how that timeline's John, Paul, George, & Ringo like the sudden notoriety. I mean, they are going to admit that they never wrote the songs so everyone is going to think Jack is just insane.

Rewatched "Yesterday". I really like the movie but there's a really unrealistic part where
he tells the stadium crowd that he didn't write the songs and they just kind of accept it instead of revolting. And I wonder how that timeline's John, Paul, George, & Ringo like the sudden notoriety. I mean, they are going to admit that they never wrote the songs so everyone is going to think Jack is just insane.
I thought the crowd did revolt? Wasn't there boos, and pointing out later he was a fraud?

But still, you're right about that part about crediting the "real" Beatles. Hell, they may not have ever met each other in this timeline. I mean, he MET John Lennon, and John had no inclination he authored any of it. I'd Imagine ( :rimshot: ) once word got out and realized that was the same guy who showed up at his house, he was going to be pissed. "He said I did what-now?!?". I get that he was trying to do the "right" thing by admitting he didn't write the songs, but naming them is going to screw with 4 octogenarians and their families. Well, also assuming George didn't die from cancer this time around.