Mother FUCKER I hate coffee.

Dave

Staff member
But since I've been diagnosed with NAFLD, it's been suggested that I start drinking coffee.

So here I am, at 55, drinking coffee in the morning for the first time. Fucking hate the taste of this shit and I guess I'm no longer staying away from caffeine. Yay me!

I guess I'm no longer staying away from caffeine. Yay me!
You know coffee comes in decaffeinated varieties, right?

FWIW, the darker the roast, the less caffeine will be present, but the more it will probably taste like you're drinking burnt toast.
Don't forget that you can blend roasts to tune the flavor towards whatever you want.
I also hate coffee and only drink it for its effects, but when I do, it had better do its job.

There's also evidence that regular coffee drinkers have less tooth decay, though the mechanism wasn't known at the time I read it. For all we know it might just be that swishing the hot water around your mouth creates the effect.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Decaf coffee beans are more acidic and don't have a decent affect on NAFLD. SO yeah, I want to drink decaf but no, I can't drink decaf.

Does it have to be coffee or is it just caffeine? There's stuff with coffee bean extract too.

Can you drink flavoured coffee? Even of you don't find them good it might be less unpleasant than the straight stuff.

Dave

Staff member
The studies have shown that caffeine is good but the coffee beans are a definite benefit. And this morning I had a caramel latte (and yes, I checked, lattes have the benefits as well - it's the beans, not the method of brewing). Didn't help. Tasted like monkey ass with caramel.

Dave

Staff member
Plus, why the FUCK would I mix coffee with beer. Beer. Which I hate. And it has alcohol. WHICH HARMS THE LIVER. You know, the thing I'm putting myself through hell to fix?

I happen to like coffee, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt (heh), but after our favorite coffee shop closed, Mr. Z and I gave French press at home a shot. We also got an inexpensive burr grinder to grind the beans fresh. IMO, is make a much smoother cup of coffee. YMMV

So maybe ask your doc if green coffee extract will provide the same or similar benefits. A quick Google search suggests it might.

If that IS the case you could look into things like Starbucks Refreshers which are fruit and juice drinks which have extract in it but literally zero coffee taste. You can also just get it in supplement form and take it like a pill.

Dave

Staff member
Who wants to take bets on how long it'll take before Dave takes a liking to coffee?

I'm gonna guess...one month from now. He hates it at first but eventually he won't be able to start the day without a cup of Joe.
I'm actually afraid of this. I do know it's an acquired taste so I know I'll get used to it. And the caffeine will make me crave it. Which is why years ago I gave up caffeine.

Dave

Staff member
So maybe ask your doc if green coffee extract will provide the same or similar benefits. A quick Google search suggests it might.

If that IS the case you could look into things like Starbucks Refreshers which are fruit and juice drinks which have extract in it but literally zero coffee taste. You can also just get it in supplement form and take it like a pill.
I'll look into this. I'd love to be able to take a pill rather than drink this swill.

If it HAS to be coffee there's two ways I would go about this:

1) Frappe drinks. Basically coffee milk shakes. I like a cafe vanilla frapoucino with java chips from Starbucks. If I were blindfolded I could not tell the difference between that and a cookies and cream shake

2) an undertow (some people called it a breve blaster as well). Start with flavoring of choice, 1 or 2 pumps. Add a small out of creamer of choice. Pull 2 espresso shots over a metal spoon into the cup. This acts as a heat sink and will float the shots on top. Pinch your nose and open your throat and down it like a tequila shot. You won't have fun but it'll get it over with super quick.

Dave

Staff member
If it HAS to be coffee there's two ways I would go about this:

1) Frappe drinks. Basically coffee milk shakes. I like a cafe vanilla frapoucino with java chips from Starbucks. If I were blindfolded I could not tell the difference between that and a cookies and cream shake

2) an undertow (some people called it a breve blaster as well). Start with flavoring of choice, 1 or 2 pumps. Add a small out of creamer of choice. Pull 2 espresso shots over a metal spoon into the cup. This acts as a heat sink and will float the shots on top. Pinch your nose and open your throat and down it like a tequila shot. You won't have fun but it'll get it over with super quick.
I had a caramel Frappuccino this morning. It tasted like monkey ass with caramel. So no, frappes still taste terrible.

Plus, why the FUCK would I mix coffee with beer. Beer. Which I hate. And it has alcohol. WHICH HARMS THE LIVER. You know, the thing I'm putting myself through hell to fix?
Their primary product is coffee extracts (which means you'd take it like cough medicine, and not by the cup). Yes they also offer coffee+beer, but that is not what I was suggesting. OBVIOUSLY. Geez.
an inexpensive burr grinder to grind the beans fresh. IMO, [makes] a much smoother cup of coffee. YMMV
Burr grinders give a more uniform size to the ground particles, which means they extract more evenly. It's like boiling potatoes...if they're not all of uniform size, they cook unevenly. Presses are great for people who don't make coffee very often, because they don't need a whole lot of setup and they don't take up a lot of room when they're not in use.

--Patrick

I had a caramel Frappuccino this morning. It tasted like monkey ass with caramel. So no, frappes still taste terrible.
My B. I thought you said latte before but yeah if you had a frappe and still tasted it through the pound and a half of sugar there's not much more you can do.

FWIW, when I drink coffee, I don't want it to taste like someone took coffee ice cream and microwaved it until it was steaming hot.
But I also don't want it to taste like toasted sawdust soaked in charred molasses.
I guess that makes me fussy.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
My B. I thought you said latte before but yeah if you had a frappe and still tasted it through the pound and a half of sugar there's not much more you can do.
It's cool, man. You gave me the direction to look at the green coffee extract. You can make all the assumptions you want about anything else. You just made this whole thread worthless. Fuck coffee and caffeine. I can take these pills and have the same benefits.

I still wonder why you know what monkey ass tastes like though.
Post automatically merged:

Also, I love coffee, the blacker and stronger the better, bitter and charred like my soul, but I had to give it up for my blood pressure and such. Boooh.