[TV] Most disapointing sequel series/spin-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
In many cases a spin-off or sequal series can be a good thing. Things like Beast Wars or Darkwing Duck have been most enjoyable. However there seem to be more bad than good. They end up messing with too much continuity, bring new actors for characters who had actors that were all-ready fine, or just all around suck. This is where we vent.

In recent years I'd have have to say Ben Ten Ultimate Alien Force is one of the most disapointing sequal series I've ever seen. Cartoon Network made the classic mistake of continuing the series without the original creators. While I admit it's not the worst thing I've seen, even being good at times I still feel it fails as a sequel. For one, it messes way too much with established continuity. The episode where Gwen's father told her "There's no such thing a magic honey. Your grandmother's an alien" is a prime idiotic example. There have been at least 10 episodes that showed magic being used, and now their just saying it doesn't exist to force the sci-fi angle. I also like how they changed her aura to pink, even though her magical aura was seen as gold of blue in the previous series. And feminism marches on! Also, her hair color changed. I know it's nit-picky-SHUTUP!

Then there's Keven Elleven, no longer a villain who works along side the main characters. The problem with Kevin is that he's probably more interesting than Ben is. Kevin has so many episodes dedicated to his back-story it's re-DIC-ulous. They also just decided to change his powers from absorbing energy to being able to absorb anything he touches, which is really just ONE power making the name Kevin Elleven pointless.

And then there's Ben...and then there's Ben. In the first two seasons they tried to make Ben seem more mature to go with the new dark tone of the show. This ended up not going well with old fans of the show so changed his personality at the beginning of season 3 of Alien force back to be more similar to his 10 year old persona. This is good in THEORY. It makes the show definitely more humourous but in doing so makes Ben seem more unlikable. In the original series it was okay for Ben to act so selfish because he was just a dumb 10 year old so it worked. Showing Ben as a teenager act as when he 10 years old shows that rather than maturing he's simply regressed. And then we got his new aliens...URRRRRRRRRRGH. It's not the new aliens that really bothe me but so much how he got them. In the beginning of the series he's shown to not have the Omnitrix on his wrist anymore...even though he liked being a hero. Then after random aliens, he gets a holo-macguffin from his Grampa Max telling Ben "I have the Omnitrix. Don't worry, it's in good hands." Turns out Ben STILL has the Omnitrix, and when he puts it on he get's a new toyline for kids to bu-I MEAN set of aliens. Neither Max's comment, or Ben's new set of aliens are EVER EXPLAINED! I though hey, maybe it's a different omnitrix! But that can't be because apparently Albeedo said that their can't be more than one Omnitrix in the universe at one time(once again going against continuity where Ben's son in the future had AND OMNITRIX!)

I could go on and on, but it would take all day. So basically just pick a spin-off or sequal series you don't care for and rant the hell out of it! Make em as big or small as you want, just have fun letting off steam.

Yoshimickster - I'm trying to think of bad spin-off situations but all I can think of are the good ones like Frasier or Tailspin (Weird that I think of those two together.....) I know alot of people will call the Matrix movies bad sequels but I found them interesting enough to accept them into the storyline.

Sequel.

And Serenity was a big step down from Firefly.

It was full of Bad Whedon and didn't really take advantage or in any way recognize the differences between TV and movies.

I'm honestly not trolling, this just jumped to mind since I rewatched Firefly earlier this week. It was a great show and just an okay movie.

Yeah movies based on shows can be a real let down sometimes.

Probly the sequal I hate the most would be Dragon Ball GT. Soooooooooooooo many missed oppurtunities.

It was full of Bad Whedon and didn't really take advantage or in any way recognize the differences between TV and movies.

I'm honestly not trolling, this just jumped to mind since I rewatched Firefly earlier this week. It was a great show and just an okay movie.
Well you're entitled to your opinion, that's for sure.

Mine is the exact opposite entirely of nearly everything you just wrote. *shrug*

I thought Serenity was exactly what Firefly needed if it was going to be "sent off" permanently.

It wrapped up every storyline that the series had hanging (with the exception of Book who got his own mini-comic for that) and did it in a way that showed the strength of each of the characters in ways we didn't get to see them grow in the series.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, but it's just those two. They always argue.

As for me....Highlander & the Star Wars Prequels. Both were fucking stupid, but Lucas managed to string fucking stupid out for 3 movies.

Yeah, but it's just those two. They always argue.

As for me....Highlander & the Star Wars Prequels. Both were fucking stupid, but Lucas managed to string fucking stupid out for 3 movies.
Amen to that brother. Ever see the Red Letter Reviews of those? That dude fricking tearst those movies apart!

That's pretty light for this forum. Wait 'til we start going off topic within the first three posts. Then you'll feel right at home.

Sequels or spin-offs. Hm. Well, as a comic book guru, I've got a couple:
-The Dark Knight Strikes Again (pretty much Frank Miller saying 'fuck you' to everyone)
-Fables (really, it should have ended at the conclusion of The Adversary, but then it suddenly turned into a franchise; I include the Jack of Fables book with this)
-Venom (giving the first big Spider-Man villain since all the original ones, and you give him his own series of spin-off mini-series? Ugh. Mind you, I was a huge Venom fanboy at the time and I bought them all. Dammit, that makes me a hypocrite.)

Movies? Well, there's the Superman sequels. III and IV don't exist. Though I'm in the minority that loved Superman Returns. There's Star Wars, of course, though I don't hate the prequels. They just don't hold up in comparison to the originals. I liked The Matrix and Pirates sequels, but they pale in comparison to their respective first movies.

GT was bad because Toriyama had nothing to do with it. That was all the studio trying to milk DB for some more sweet, sweet yen.

Edit: Superman Returns' major flaw was it being boring as shit. I wish they'd stop making Luthor into some insane real estate agent and let him do some crazy mad science and whatnot.

Anyone who says the Prequels have any redeeming factor at all have not seen the Red Letter Media reviews. They're done in a "funny way" but they expose the prequels for what they are. Not just bad Star Wars movies but piss poor films all together.

-Venom (giving the first big Spider-Man villain since all the original ones, and you give him his own series of spin-off mini-series? Ugh. Mind you, I was a huge Venom fanboy at the time and I bought them all. Dammit, that makes me a hypocrite.)
Yeah we all did back then. Still beats that Marvel Knights Spider-man book. Whoever thought Mac Gargan should be the new Venom is an IDIOT. Now Eddie Brock is Anti-Venom, Venom is now Flash Thompson ...although he looks more like Grendel than Venom.

You know, I can't really enjoy the Red Letter Media videos. Don't get me wrong, he raises a lot of good points, but like Spoony or Linkara's videos, he adds in that other side-element that has nothing to do with the video. Like being a rapist serial killer or something. It just turns me off of the whole thing.

You know, I can't really enjoy the Red Letter Media videos. Don't get me wrong, he raises a lot of good points, but like Spoony or Linkara's videos, he adds in that other side-element that has nothing to do with the video. Like being a rapist serial killer or something. It just turns me off of the whole thing.
Yeah that is one of the major criticisms toward the series. I find it hilarious, but I am a messed up man.

BOT, every Power Rangers to somebody. For 90s kids it's after Mighty Morphin, and so on and so on. Basically raising generation to generation of kids saying "Wait...their making a new ranger show? BUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE OLD ONE?!" Same can be said for Kamen Rider, Ultraman, and just about every long-running tokusatsu series EVER.

Your a lucky man Quotemander.

Now as for a crappy spin-off...Cleveland Show. SOoooooooooo disapointing. They turned Cleveland from the wise reasonable character to basically Black Peter. Cleveland had his own personality before this stupid show, and it ticks me off that Seth Macfarlane succeeded in making the same stupid show three times.

I thought Serenity was exactly what Firefly needed if it was going to be "sent off" permanently.

It wrapped up every storyline that the series had hanging (with the exception of Book who got his own mini-comic for that) and did it in a way that showed the strength of each of the characters in ways we didn't get to see them grow in the series.
Mr. Universe was pretty shitty.

Yeah we all did back then. Still beats that Marvel Knights Spider-man book. Whoever thought Mac Gargan should be the new Venom is an IDIOT. Now Eddie Brock is Anti-Venom, Venom is now Flash Thompson ...although he looks more like Grendel than Venom.
Mac Gargan Venom in the Thunderbolts was pretty awesome. Constantly demonstrated how much Gargan regretted bonding with the symbiote.

Mac Gargan Venom in the Thunderbolts was pretty awesome. Constantly demonstrated how much Gargan regretted bonding with the symbiote.
Yeah, his lines in the first Thunderbolts trade about it were pretty good. Something about how it's always there, in his stomach, like he wants to throw up but he can't, and doesn't know how he lives with it. But on the other side of the coin, he wonders how he's managed to live so long without it.

Spin-offs that disappoint?

Love Boat the Next Wave
Joanie Loves Chachi
After MASH
Flo
Baywatch Nights
The Colbys
Models Inc
The Law and Harry McGraw (I miss Jerry :( )

First, I love Serenity, show's better, but Serenity is really good imo

Second, another spin-off that sucked: the final season of Scrubs. While not technically a real spin-off, it pretty much was since less than half the original cast was back for the full run (including the main character), the setting changed, and they added a little "Med School" subtitle to it.

First, I love Serenity, show's better, but Serenity is really good imo

Second, another spin-off that sucked: the final season of Scrubs. While not technically a real spin-off, it pretty much was since less than half the original cast was back for the full run (including the main character), the setting changed, and they added a little "Med School" subtitle to it.
a

Yeah Scrubs went down by the season before that. I mean, what was the point in that chick being impregnated by J.D. other than to give hi m some bull-crap character development. And when they break up SHE IS ALMOST NEVER SEEN AGAIN. Why couldn't J.D. and Elliot be toghether in the second season and NOT break up. It worked in the Office, it would've worked here.

Video game wise, a couple come to mind.

Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger was the first real RPG that I ever played, and man did I love it! So of course, when I heard they were making a sequel, I was pumped. Then I played it. Absolutely hated the magic system, there were only 3 combo attacks in the entire game, and the characters were not appealing at all. The only thing I liked about the game was the music, but that was not nearly enough to save it.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Sands of Time was fun, engaging, and a challenge. Warrior Within was the most horrible, emo-dripping, lame-ass attempt at a follow up that I think they could have come up with. At one point I actually just dropped the controller, turned off the console, and put the game back on my shelf to never be touched again. Ugh! :mad:

Video Game Wise? That's easy.

Xenosaga not being Xenogears 2
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance not being Final Fantasy Tactics 2.

Sequel.

And Serenity was a big step down from Firefly.
I agree. And literally every person I know who is a fan of the show agrees as well. The movie was too flashy and over produced (One thing I noticed right away is you could hear sound in space, which they never did in the show). And they ruined the Reavers by explaining them. And I didn't like that they had Simon rescue River himself. It seemed at odds with his character and with his explanation in the first episode. I like the movie, but yeah I think its a huge step down from the show.

I felt it left a whole lot of things unwrapped. The hands of blue, Mal and Inara's relationship (I mean it sort of did but not really. It did the same thing the show did by just hinting at it but offering no real closure), or the whole subplot they had going with Inara's lack of aging. Or Neska.

Most disappointing sequel I can think of off the top of my head is Spider-Man 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.