More and More Idiots Think Obama is a Muslim

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title says it all. The article can be found here.

Nearly one in five people, or 18 percent, said they think Obama is Muslim, up from the 11 percent who said so in March 2009, according to a poll released Thursday. The proportion who correctly say he is a Christian is down to just 34 percent.

The largest share of people, 43 percent, said they don't know his religion, an increase from the 34 percent who said that in early 2009.
In a separate poll by Time magazine/ABT SRBI conducted Monday and Tuesday — after Obama's comments about the mosque — 24 percent said they think he is Muslim, 47 percent said they think he is Christian and 24 percent didn't know or didn't respond.
Analysts attributed this increase to increasing negative attacks from political opponents (Republicans and conservatives were mentioned specifically).

All I can say is, "what the fuck?" One, why are people getting even more stupid? And two, why is it that the more negative Obama is seen, the more people associate him with Islam? Is the thought process really something like "He's dark-skinned, his name sounds funny, and I don't agree with him - must be a Muslim!" or something to that effect?

C

Chibibar

All I can say is, "what the fuck?" One, why are people getting even more stupid? And two, why is it that the more negative Obama is seen, the more people associate him with Islam? Is the thought process really something like "He's dark-skinned, his name sounds funny, and I don't agree with him - must be a Muslim!" or something to that effect?
you got it! Sadly ever since 9/11 attack by extremist Muslim, most of the ignorant Americans think all Muslim are equal. How quickly they forget that their own religion (insert your fav religion) have their share of fanatics.

I had to have this argument last night, reminding my friend that it isn't disrespectful to build a mosque/community center 4 blocks away at an old Burlington Coat Factory because the religion isn't responsible for its minority crackpots.

C

Chibibar

You know what is sad? Since Christian base religion is the "majority" in the U.S. (at least most vocal) what would the public do if David Koresh's CHRISTIAN base (fanatic) was the one causing 9/11. Would the public won't let them built a Christian church (none Davidian) near ground zero? (pretty much the same argument) probably won't put up with much of a fuss.

(note: I did a brief look up, and Davidian are base of Christianity more or less)

You know what is sad? Since Christian base religion is the "majority" in the U.S. (at least most vocal) what would the public do if David Koresh's CHRISTIAN base (fanatic) was the one causing 9/11. Would the public won't let them built a Christian church (none Davidian) near ground zero? (pretty much the same argument) probably won't put up with much of a fuss.

(note: I did a brief look up, and Davidian are base of Christianity more or less)
loosely based on Christianity, David (Davidian) Koresh sat himself up as the "Savior." He just used his charisma to control dozens of people.

David Koresh claimed to be the next coming of Christ, I don't know that I'd consider that to be Christianity.

C

Chibibar

David Koresh claimed to be the next coming of Christ, I don't know that I'd consider that to be Christianity.
there was a video on this thread of some guy claiming to be the savior and have millions of followers.. I can't remember it now.

You've had the rabid right hammering on this notion since the moment Obama became a candidate. It's the Big Lie Theory in full roar. It's been repeated so often and with such ferocity that people begin to take it as gospel.

C

Chibibar

Because he says so, and Obama doesn't lie or keep secrets, EVAR! ;)[/QUOTE]
9th Circuit finds a right to lie - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

Well, you can lie about having Congressional Medal of Honor (per article above - I am NOT saying Obama said he did, this is just a reference to lying) I'm sure he can legally lie about his religion. I don't think there is a law against it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Because he says so, and Obama doesn't lie or keep secrets, EVAR! ;)[/QUOTE]
9th Circuit finds a right to lie - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

Well, you can lie about having Congressional Medal of Honor (per article above - I am NOT saying Obama said he did, this is just a reference to lying) I'm sure he can legally lie about his religion. I don't think there is a law against it.[/QUOTE]

Chibibar. I am your father.

I'm trying hard to care, but nope I still don't give a shit about this. I don't care what religion he is, and don't care what religion people think he is.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm trying hard to care, but nope I still don't give a shit about this. I don't care what religion he is, and don't care what religion people think he is.
All silliness aside, I'm not concerned with what he believes. I'm only concerned with what he does. There's enough already in that to want him to not get re-elected.

Well, I believe it is somehow important. It shows a bad level of ignorance about the president, and also indirectly of vitriol (because, how many of those who think Obama is a muslim or aren't sure he's christian see it as a (very) negative thing? I'll bet they're more than a few)

I doubt Obama's secretly a muslim. If he wasn't he wouldn't have sat through the Revrend Wright's sermons for 20 years.

of course it would explain how he never heard any of the controversial stuff... >:D

GasBandit

Staff member
Chibibar. I am your father.
Heh. It would be interesting if you were, but alas, my father pass away when I was 12 :([/QUOTE]

I had to fake my death and assume a new identity, get facial reconstruction, bleach my skin, gain 50 pounds, and get hair plugs in my jaw, all so I could perform top secret missions which subsequently won me the Medal of Honor.

This makes me wonder: how much of the increase in disapproval towards Obama is due to what he does (or doesn't, and how he does it) and how much is just because of the shit being flung his way, just like with thos religion thingy?

C

Chibibar

If he was a Muslim why would this be a problem?

Freedom of religion my ass
This is basically my take on it as well. He's clearly not a Muslim, but even if he was, it really wouldn't matter.[/QUOTE]

Well... up until recently, you had to be white to be president ;) well maybe not "have to" but that is what the public would accept.

If he was a Muslim why would this be a problem?

Freedom of religion my ass
When Kennedy was running for president, a lot of people also had their knickers in a knot about letting a catholic be president.[/QUOTE]

Very true, and especially stupid because Catholicism is still closely related to Protestantism. It makes me wonder... which do you guys think is going to happen first: Jewish President or Female President?

Necronic

Staff member
Just for fun I googled to see "Is Obama Jewish?" Turns out there are theories on that one. We should just accept that he is jewish/muslim/a woman so we can just knock out all the firsts on one round.

C

Chibibar

You think U.S of A will ever be ready for an Asian FEMALE president?? I think transsexual will win first.

Of course it is. Who are you to say he -wasn't- the second coming of Christ, hmm? Christ's message was quite different from that of Mozes, too. Perhaps you're just a blind Jew not willing to see and accept Jesus as the Son of God.

Note: I don't think he's the second coming of Christ, just making fun.

AmE: Depends, do you mean someone who's openly transvestite/transsexual? Yeah, good luck waiting. In secret? Eh, it's been claimed (well, transvestite, not transsexual) of presidents before.

Anyway, I find this sort of thing frightening. It just shows that the tactic of slinging as much mud as possible and waiting to see what sticks, actually works. The fact that his religion is even something that would be viewed as negative is something else, about equally wrong and terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.