MN Supreme Court: Bong water is a controlled substance

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Minnesota Supreme Court has ruled in favor of the state in deciding that 2.5 tablespoons of bong water counts, in and of its own right, as an illegal controlled substance, and that posession of it is a class 1 drug offense.

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2009/10/22/20276/383

Linked to the blog-post because even though I'm not a huge fan of Talk-Left, they do a decent commentary this time.

The kicker: this ruling establishes that possessing 25 grams of bong water in any form is legally the same as possessing 25 grams of cocaine, and punishable by up to 7 years in prison.

The dissenting opinion points out that not only is the punishment completely out of proportion to the crime, it's an absurd waste of legal resources.

A

Armadillo

I'm gonna file this one under "D" for, "Don't These Clowns Have Anything Better To Do?"

This is my state, too. Fer fuck's sake...

A

Armadillo

That's madness.
Wouldn't that be such fun law to enforce.[/QUOTE]

Ma'am, we're going to have to confiscate that bong water you have there. Also, we'll need to take the bong itself...you know, for evidence.

Looks like you have some marijuana on you. We'll be taking that into possession as well.

Ma'am, if you could hand over any Doritos or Twinkies you have with you, it would be appreciated.

You have a good night now, ma'am.

It's the water used in the bong itself. It's the same principle as a hookah. The water filters out the heat and ash, "purifying" the smoke flavor, and (supposedly) protecting your lungs and esophagus.

It also (again, supposedly) filters out much more of the THC, if you use it to smoke cannabis or pot.

They're declaring that the water could be ingested or inhaled, and is therefore a drug, notwithstanding the fact that its debatable whether, even with meth, you could really get high off the stuff. Not to mention, its sort of like arguing that cigarette smokers can get that final nicotine dreg fix by eating their leftover filters.

If they wanted to declare bong water as drug paraphenalia, then okay, I still think that's a bit strong, but there's at least some basis for that declaration. At the very least, it could be used as evidence of use as part of a larger case.

But declaring it legally equal to possessing cocaine? It's nonsensical.

My SS would love this fucking law. He could use it bump up his stats for his bid to get to commissioned officership.

"RAWWWK (when we do impressions of him, it always starts with a parrotlike squawk noise...because he makes parrotlike squawk noises) Well, thith month we busted hundredth poundth of illithit thubthtanthes!"

D

Dusty668

How do you measure the "bong" in the water? If I were to dump my bong in an aquarium during a raid, would I now have no bong water, or a aquarium full of it?

It's the same principle as a hookah. The water filters out the heat and ash, "purifying" the smoke flavor, and (supposedly) protecting your lungs and esophagus.
It cools the smoke, making it easier to inhale for sure...

And why wasn't the water containing meth enough to show meth use? Or did they just wanted to get a longer conviction?

Welcome to our nanny state. I've been living here for almost 10 years now and nothing us Minnesotans enjoy more than not doing anything productive and going after anyone and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.