[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

So. Spoilers ahead probably.

Greatest Showman - I wanted to hate this, and I do to some degree, but the music is so fucking catchy! I can see why this movie did so well. I think it's everything the average movie watcher wants to see and it catered to a family experience, dancing around tough topics, but not confronting them entirely. What I dislike is..P.T. Barnum was just...not a great person, so..I take qualm supporting a movie about a person like that. I'm aware that it's not a biopic in any sense of the word, but still it bothered me. I really REALLY wanted the circus performers to get a better part of the story, but they were more a plot device than anything. Still, I had fun watching it, I enjoyed the music a lot and I'm glad so many people had a good time seeing it.

Deadpool 2 - It was a fun ride, it was a lot more of the...same? from the first one, which I don't have a problem with. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but I'm still glad I went and saw it. The story was kind of...all over the place, but the jokes and irreverent humor gave me exactly what I was hoping for. I'm still mad that the fabric from his costume basically doesn't exist and my want to make a screen accurate costume will be really really hard, I DIGRESS. Overall I thought it was fun, but I wasn't blown away like I was with the first one. Domino is my queen.

Ghostbusters - Yes the female one. Which, wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be, in my opinion. Or everyone ragged on it so hard that it exceeded my low low expectations? I'm a big fan of the cast members and I was happy to see them on the screen together. I actually liked the writing and I even didn't mind the plot. I was excited about the cameos, but..it also made me roll my eyes. The real bother I have is with the special effects? I'm big into practical effects and if they had done the ghosts and monsters practically, I think that would've made this move something really special. But the technicolor ghosts floating around was pretty off putting. Not a fan of that. But overall, I laughed some, I had fun, that's all I needed.

Solo - So. I really wanted to like this. And there are parts that I really enjoyed but...my feelings were so blasé about this film. And to me, it boiled down to the plot because I didn't give a shit about any of it. There are certain things I actually loved seeing - Donald Glover as Lando, Chewie, the Kessel Run, I even think Alden Ehrenreich did a great job of portraying a young Han, but it was ruined by the story. It is the most unnecessary movie in the franchise because of that damn plot. I've been dying to know how Han and Chewie met/became so bonded since I was a CHILD and that's it?? That's all they give me,
they meet in a jail cell and escape together?? K.
Color me unimpressed. They wasted Paul Bettany and I wasn't invested in Emilia Clarke's character, which hinders the experience. There was so much they could've done and I feel let down. But, still, I didn't hate it, it just wasn't my favorite.

I think the thing with chewie/han they are hinting at but don't outright state in the film is that

chewie feels he owes han a life debt:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Life_debt
"Chewbacca swore a Wookiee life debt to Han Solo for freeing him from slavery under the Galactic Empire.[2]"

Further, books published since star wars was bought by Disney, ie the new cannon, confirm this as being part of the disney star wars universe:
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/que...ts-officially-non-canon-for-star-wars-nouveau

As well as comics produced recently about Chewie's history:
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-wookiee-life-debts/

The Gungan's (ie, Jar Jar's people) also consider life debts sacred, and this is how qui gon saved jar jar from punishment when he returned to the gungan kingdom he was cast out of.

So far only Wookies and Gungans have been called out in this universe as having a particular devotion to the idea of life debts.

I wouldn't be surprised if they fleshed this out a little more in later solo stories.

Be prepared, though, every genre of film we might see outside the SW universe will occur inside it. Solo stories are going to be the cowboy and heist movies. The skywalker stories will be the fantasy/magic movies.

I'll watch them all, and collect at least the skywalker series since I've already got 8/9 of it, but while good, Solo didn't sell me on repeat viewings. I'm good with just the one. A few years from now when it's free on whatever streaming service I happen to have and I've forgotten most of the details I'll watch it again if there's nothing better on.

Yeah...I don't think we're getting another solo given the box office.
I am certain they'll release at least one more solo story. Disney is invested in star wars, and they aren't going to back down from a challenge.

https://www.cbr.com/disney-solo-box-office-disappointment/
https://io9.gizmodo.com/everyone-needs-to-calm-down-about-solos-box-office-perf-1826387395
http://ew.com/movies/2018/05/29/solo-box-office-disney-ron-howard/

They'll do some research to figure out what about the story fell flat, particularly with international audiences, and they'll re-tool things so the sequel makes out better (and probably costs less).

I'm pretty sure they'll slow things down, though, releasing more than one star wars movie a year is probably pushing it - you don't want the audiences to grow this tired of them this quickly. Further, they'll shorten it up a bit - they can make more money off a 90 minute heist film than a 135 minute film.

If a second Solo story falls flat, though, maybe that'll be the end of the solo movie series.

Regardless, they got all the nods and winks and setup out of the way - probably crammed too much of it in there - so the next movie can be more story, less setup and less predictable.

I'd be very, very surprised if they didn't go for it.

Well if they stick to one per year and the kenobi and boba fett movies still happen as planned, that means they're full until 2024 (assuming numbered movies in odd years and spinoffs in even).

I think the thing with chewie/han they are hinting at but don't outright state in the film is that

chewie feels he owes han a life debt:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Life_debt
"Chewbacca swore a Wookiee life debt to Han Solo for freeing him from slavery under the Galactic Empire.[2]"

Further, books published since star wars was bought by Disney, ie the new cannon, confirm this as being part of the disney star wars universe:
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/que...ts-officially-non-canon-for-star-wars-nouveau

As well as comics produced recently about Chewie's history:
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-wookiee-life-debts/

The Gungan's (ie, Jar Jar's people) also consider life debts sacred, and this is how qui gon saved jar jar from punishment when he returned to the gungan kingdom he was cast out of.

So far only Wookies and Gungans have been called out in this universe as having a particular devotion to the idea of life debts.

I wouldn't be surprised if they fleshed this out a little more in later solo stories.

Be prepared, though, every genre of film we might see outside the SW universe will occur inside it. Solo stories are going to be the cowboy and heist movies. The skywalker stories will be the fantasy/magic movies.

I'll watch them all, and collect at least the skywalker series since I've already got 8/9 of it, but while good, Solo didn't sell me on repeat viewings. I'm good with just the one. A few years from now when it's free on whatever streaming service I happen to have and I've forgotten most of the details I'll watch it again if there's nothing better on.
I get what you're saying and I know all of this, but I wish the story would've focused on that more and made it actually important in the plot. What I got fell so flat for me and was over in a second. Why not flesh it out now?? When they're introduced to each other? Don't give me a lick of something I've been wanting for years and then a possible promise to flesh it out later, when there might not be a later. I'm with @blotsfan and I would be really surprised if we get more. Maybe they'll pump out one more, but I'm not hopeful for that. Which, if there's not a second, that makes most of the setup of this movie pointless. Sighs.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Ghostbusters - Yes the female one. Which, wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be, in my opinion. Or everyone ragged on it so hard that it exceeded my low low expectations? I'm a big fan of the cast members and I was happy to see them on the screen together. I actually liked the writing and I even didn't mind the plot. I was excited about the cameos, but..it also made me roll my eyes. The real bother I have is with the special effects? I'm big into practical effects and if they had done the ghosts and monsters practically, I think that would've made this move something really special. But the technicolor ghosts floating around was pretty off putting. Not a fan of that. But overall, I laughed some, I had fun, that's all I needed.
What really killed me about Ghostbusters was that the 2009 video game had a better plot. If they'd adapted that, even going as far as to just rip out the best plot points and still do a reboot, it would have been a hell of a lot better than what they went with. Not that it was a terrible plot, but it was a pretty bland climax. An island rising out of the middle of the Hudson would have been a lot cooler.

I get what you're saying and I know all of this, but I wish the story would've focused on that more and made it actually important in the plot. What I got fell so flat for me and was over in a second. Why not flesh it out now?? When they're introduced to each other? Don't give me a lick of something I've been wanting for years and then a possible promise to flesh it out later, when there might not be a later. I'm with @blotsfan and I would be really surprised if we get more. Maybe they'll pump out one more, but I'm not hopeful for that. Which, if there's not a second, that makes most of the setup of this movie pointless. Sighs.
Even if they don't do another Solo movie it's not like they're going to stop doing spin-offs. I haven't seen the Solo movie so is there anything in it to stop Han / Chewie showing up in a Lando movie & giving you the payoff there? Treat them they way Marvel Studios treats the Hulk?

What really killed me about Ghostbusters was that the 2009 video game had a better plot. If they'd adapted that, even going as far as to just rip out the best plot points and still do a reboot, it would have been a hell of a lot better than what they went with. Not that it was a terrible plot, but it was a pretty bland climax. An island rising out of the middle of the Hudson would have been a lot cooler.
Since I haven't played or even heard of the video game, I have no frame of reference for why that makes it better - I didn't mind the story so much. But I'll take your word for it. :)

Even if they don't do another Solo movie it's not like they're going to stop doing spin-offs. I haven't seen the Solo movie so is there anything in it to stop Han / Chewie showing up in a Lando movie & giving you the payoff there? Treat them they way Marvel Studios treats the Hulk?
I mean, I suppose not, there's nothing keeping them from popping up elsewhere, but then..why have this movie at all? Why not address things that are character specific in that characters' specific movie? If they put important paypoffs in someone else's movie that's just irritating. And it should be noted, this is just one thing that really bothers me, it might not be a big deal or hinder anyone else's experience. :D

It's just something that matters to me since I've been wondering since I was a kid how they came to meet and seeing their friendship explored has been something I've wanted to see. So, I wasn't impressed with what I got. :/

Since I haven't played or even heard of the video game, I have no frame of reference for why that makes it better - I didn't mind the story so much. But I'll take your word for it. :)

I mean, I suppose not, there's nothing keeping them from popping up elsewhere, but then..why have this movie at all? Why not address things that are character specific in that characters' specific movie? If they put important paypoffs in someone else's movie that's just irritating. And it should be noted, this is just one thing that really bothers me, it might not be a big deal or hinder anyone else's experience. :D

It's just something that matters to me since I've been wondering since I was a kid how they came to meet and seeing their friendship explored has been something I've wanted to see. So, I wasn't impressed with what I got. :/
I haven't seen the solo movie, but in my mind, of I think about a scene detailing the formation of han and chewie's relationship, it would go something like:

*Big explosion, Han's luck finally runs out as he starts to tumble off a ledge*

*Chewie catches him and pulls him to safety, they both duck behind cover from incoming blaster fire*

Han: Why'd you come back for me? You could have gotten out of here!

Chewie: "wookiee noise"

Han: You've got some pretty naive ideas about honor

Chewie: "wookiee noise"

Han: ... It's possible I might be the naive one

Solo was full of silly shit, but the one that made me laugh out loud in the theater was when Han asked Chewie his name.

Han: So, what's your name?

Chewbacca: BRRRROWWWWLL MROOOOWLL ROLF ROLF

Han: Chewbacca huh?

What the fuck Han?

English Guy: Hey buddy, what's your name?

Indian Fella: Gurpreet Shankhar.

English Guy: Steve eh?

His name isn't Chewbacca Han, it's fucking BRRRROWWWLL MROOOOWLL ROLF ROLF.

Solo was full of silly shit, but the one that made me laugh out loud in the theater was when Han asked Chewie his name.

Han: So, what's your name?

Chewbacca: BRRRROWWWWLL MROOOOWLL ROLF ROLF

Han: Chewbacca huh?

What the fuck Han?

English Guy: Hey buddy, what's your name?

Indian Fella: Gurpreet Shankhar.

English Guy: Steve eh?

His name isn't Chewbacca Han, it's fucking BRRRROWWWLL MROOOOWLL ROLF ROLF.
Zardu Hasselfrau?

Saw Solo.

I dunno. I went in expecting the worst, and it wasn't that, but....It's a very, very bland movie.
A lot of the hints to future references - the Kessel run, how did Han and Chewie meet, etc etc - fell flat for me. The romance is almost Attack of the Clones level bad. I like Emilia Clarke, but sheesh. Lando, Tobias and Vos were good actors; the guy playing Han didn't feel like he was playing Han Solo, he felt like he was playing Harrison Ford-playing-Han Solo. L3 was fun in a comedy sidekick way. I called the betrayal at the end literally during the very first scene of the movie. I called the Han-shoots-first scene right after the first time Tobias is introduced.

I definitely preferred Last Jedi over this one. They both kind of suffer from the same problem, to me, though: they both try to keep the tension up the whole time, going from "oh no we've got one second before we explode" to "oh no we're hanging by a thread" to "oh no we're going to be eaten" to "oh no we're going to be blown apart" to etc etc at too high a pace.
It's partially because we know nothing can go wrong - Han, Chewie, etc have to survive - but it's not just that. Rogue One managed to have enough evolution of character and sense of personality that I cared about the characters and wanted to see what happened to them. Last Jedi fumbled it a bit on actual character development (even if the people do grow, it just feels sort of unearned), Solo was even worse. Solo felt all flash, no substance. You need "calm" moments between the high tension scenes, and what we got wasn't enough. The quieter moments were jokes, references, and callbacks, nothing interesting.

Upgrade -- Micro-budget, grindhouse science fiction. It's very good with a fairly solid story and inventive visuals and camera work.

Two thoughts on Upgrade, the trailers probably give away too much of the movie. If you're interested at all, avoid the trailers. Also, if you're interested at all, try to catch it in the next week as its not going to be able to hold screens much past June 14th.

Deadpool 2

This one doesn't have Morena Baccarin in various stages of undress, which means it is automatically inferior to the first one.

In fact now that I think about it, I think DP2 didn't have anyone in any stage of undress, apart from ol' baby legs.

Still though, it was a fun and funny experience, with plenty of surprises, and great action. It doesn't feel as fresh or as surprising as the first one, which is to be expected, but it's still a nicely entertaining movie.

Also Domino is hot.

Man, Annihilation is a weird movie.

Maybe weird is the wrong word. Creepy? Yeah, it's a creepy movie.

I don't know why there was a big To-Do over it being "too complicated" for general audiences. It felt pretty straight-forward to me. Still, I like that they took a sci-fi story and cast all the leads that would normally be played by men as women in a very "this is just what it is" type of way. It was about the mystery and that's awesome. I love Tessa Thompson and Gina Rodriguez, so that helps, too.
My wife and I watched it a couple nights ago. We really liked it. It hit all of my creepy weird trigger points for the kind of dark and weird sci-fi that I like. I also really got a kick out of Dark City, which also had a fairly disappointing box office.

I finally saw Jurassic World (the first one not the new one). Predictable, but fun...with dinosaurs! Better than the previous sequels, but the original is still the best. (I loved Jurassic Park.)

And I want a pet raptor even more now. :heart:Blue:heart:

With all the weird DNA they were splicing into the hybrid dinosaurs, they should have added cat DNA. Then, to catch an escaped dinosaur, they could simply put an appropriately sized box in its path. Save lots of trouble and lives!

GasBandit

Staff member
With all the weird DNA they were splicing into the hybrid dinosaurs, they should have added cat DNA. Then, to catch an escaped dinosaur, they could simply put an appropriately sized box in its path. Save lots of trouble and lives!
But then they would have kept pushing glasses off the table.

figmentPez

Staff member
But then they would have kept pushing glasses off the table.
On the plus side, though, the Indominus would have taken one step outside the open door to it's pen, and then decided it really wanted to stay inside after all.... Only to dart out at top speed the next time it was opened so much as a crack.

Saw Solo last night, had a fun time! I went into it with "meh" expectations, and came out happy. Yes it was silly in a number of places, but honestly, it held up IMO. I wanted a "scoundrel movie in space" and I got a light buddy-cop movie combined with a "next generation learning the ropes from an old hand" one too. It's not a great movie but it's not a bad one either. It's an extreme :popcorn: movie. Go with the explosions and fun, be OK with them having a bit of a love story on the side.

Addressing an earlier comment though, I wouldn't say the love story was painful like Anakin/Padme though. That one you knew what the relationship was from the beginning, whereas the one in Solo was firmly in the "middle" of the relationship before we ever saw them. The only thing bad about it was how Han "still loved her" whereas she had "kind of moved on" and yet not. She wanted to be the innocent she was at the beginning of the movie, but by what she had already gone through, couldn't be. It was tragic, but only via what she'd already been through outside of their relationship, and he hadn't been, and thought they could re-capture what they had. So not done badly, but not the focus either, and honestly the whole love story could have been dropped and the movie would have lost little.

So I had fun, but not the best movie ever either.