Miniature Gaming Thread

I know a lot of us here paint and play miniature games, so I figured if anyone wants to discuss miniature gaming, they can drop a post now and then in here instead of people polluting others' art threads.

So, after the relative disappointment of the Necron codex update, I've lost most of my interest in GW. Then, I saw the Adeptus Mechanicus, which are some of the most gorgeous miniatures they've ever produced. I was instantly intrigued. Here are some examples:

Fucking awesome looking. THEN, I found out they're not just going to be split into two separate codices, but FUCKING THREE, it was enough for me to finally give up on GW forever. I'm done. Selling all my Necron stuff soon. I just don't wanna deal with this crap anymore.

WTB new miniature game that will scratch my sci-fi and robot itches that I can convince my 40K buddy to get into too.

UGH, the Forgeworld Mechanicus models are even more gorgeous.

Yikes! Yeah, GW. Wow.

Want to play in the 40k universe with minis that look amazing? Go with Fantasy Flight's new game Forbidden Stars.

I understand your pain man. I don't get why they insist on shooting themselves in the face when they have such great IP.

I gave up on GW a long time ago... I love the universe, but the company is just so freakin' retarded... one of the few times that I have ZERO issues with pirating codices and getting 3rd-party (or 3D-printed) models.

@Frank, if you haven't gotten into Warmahordes, you might want to take a look at Dust... alternate history-type stuff, Axis and Allies with mecha. I don't play it myself, but have many friends who are passionate about it...

I bought into the Palladium's Robotech Tactics Miniatures game Kickstarter, got half of the Battlecry tier set, the other set is still on Palladium time. Why? Because I am a total Robotech junkie.

The minis are pretty good, but I don't honestly know if I can endorse the game, simply because Palladium's such a fucking mess of a company.

Oh, Star Wars Imperial Assault isn't just an improvement over Descent, but it's also a one on one tactical game. You move in a grid and boards so no arguments over range and the system is superb.

I gave up on GW a long time ago... I love the universe, but the company is just so freakin' retarded... one of the few times that I have ZERO issues with pirating codices and getting 3rd-party (or 3D-printed) models.

@Frank, if you haven't gotten into Warmahordes, you might want to take a look at Dust... alternate history-type stuff, Axis and Allies with mecha. I don't play it myself, but have many friends who are passionate about it...
Yeah, my local game store carries Dust. I've looked them over a bunch of times. The models are MIGHTY impressive. It's super cool how they incorporate actual WW2 designs into fantastical mechs.

[DOUBLEPOST=1428760000,1428759862][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh, Star Wars Imperial Assault isn't just an improvement over Descent, but it's also a one on one tactical game. You move in a grid and boards so no arguments over range and the system is superb.
Descent, as in the D&D lite board game? I had a lot of fun with that one.

COLOUR ME INTRIGUED.[DOUBLEPOST=1428760128][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yikes! Yeah, GW. Wow.

Want to play in the 40k universe with minis that look amazing? Go with Fantasy Flight's new game Forbidden Stars.

I understand your pain man. I don't get why they insist on shooting themselves in the face when they have such great IP.
ALSO, have you tried it? I've been burned by those 40K licensed board games before (HAAAAAATED Relic).

I don't know how most people afford this stuff. I looked at the price of putting together an Ork army....yikes.

I don't know how most people afford this stuff. I looked at the price of putting together an Ork army....yikes.
If you buy it all at once, yeah, it's out there. Take it slowly and build an army unit by unit. Never buy another box of figures until you've assembled and painted the one you've already bought. You can slowly build enough of an army to have small games and take it from there. It's still expensive, but it's spread out A LOT more over time.

@Frank Thanks for giving me a wild flashback to th '90s with Warmahordes.

Unfortunately my miniatures are packed away far too good to get them out for pictutres, but I played some Gear Krieg back then. http://www.dp9.com/gearkrieg
Of course miniature casting technology has become more advanced, but the designs were there.

I've got bits and pieces of my old Dark Angels army all around my room. A couple pewter figures, one half-painted and the other still unpainted, are right at my monitor (they're likely my two favorite figs released for the army at the time I was playing). I'll try to remember to get a picture when the light's better (as in, not 2am).

Oh man, after my buddy's wedding, I got the Warhammer bug again. Next weekend I plan on finally building a 6x4 foot board to play on. I bought my first box of Skitarii rangers. I'm....back in. Gotta rearrange my office this week to get my painting desk up and running again.

I know a bunch of people have been telling me they are done with Warhammer Fantasy because of this new Sigmar stuff... complain it's sticking Space Marines in Fantasy. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I know a bunch of people have been telling me they are done with Warhammer Fantasy because of this new Sigmar stuff... complain it's sticking Space Marines in Fantasy. Anyone have an opinion on this?
Haven't touched it since giving everything away. There are just too many balanced games which give me minis to paint (SW Imperial Assault) at a fraction of the price.

It's a lot of fun, and fantasy wasn't selling. The rules are simple and free so you don't have to take anyone's word for it. Biggest issue is that you can't just build a list, show up to a store and expect to easily slot into a game. It forces you to converse with your opponent before playing.

ANCIENT BUMP.

I played 40K for the first time in a LOOOONG time with my old roomie from over a decade ago. Finally put that big old table I built forever ago to use.

I wooooped him 14-2. It was my Thousand Sons vs his Deathguard.

I forgot to take pictures.

Oh I lied. I have one.

20181121_222731.jpg

I got a TOTALLY LEGITIMATE Necron Seraptek from a buddy for Christmas.

It's.....a lot of resin. I need to pick up some super glue accelerator before I attempt to build this monstrosity. Here's a picture (it's about as big as an Imperial Knight).