[PC Game] Minecraft HF server info and game discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Here we are, building this wonderous creatively-free-form idyllic world of peace and beauty. Our days are tranquil and productive. Our world is vast and unthreatening. We dig and build without care or concern beyond where we find our next particular desired resource.

One of these days, Notch is going to fix health/damage and monsters in multiplayer.

And then won't that be a sudden and violent climax, when suddenly skeletons, spiders, zombies and... creepers... start coming out of the dark places of our world? When night ceases being merely inconvenient from a luminescent standpoint and starts being a struggle for survival and protection of art, home and hearth? When the occasional ghast pushes through from the burning nether to rain destruction upon our works? When we actually have to start carrying swords and bows and worrying about how many arrows we have left and if we can make it home alive? Huddled in our artfully constructed homes, counting the minutes until the sun rises to vanquish the terrible night and burn its denizens away.

Damn, it's almost like a movie.

Sure you don't want in on this, Dave?

see if I let you into my ziggurat...
You should ask Gusto about my obsession with tunneling....[/QUOTE]

Earlier today, Fnord and I collided with each other while tunneling at bedrock level.

That in mind, if anyone wants to fall out the bottom of the world, visit Level B9 of Gusto's Glass Mine.

Also, I'm kmiller52 in Minecraft.[/QUOTE]

Are you guys finding any diamond? Short of tapping Gasbandit's keg of heinz, I've not found any. I'm hitting a regular number of redstone deposits though.

GasBandit

Staff member
see if I let you into my ziggurat...
You should ask Gusto about my obsession with tunneling....[/QUOTE]

Earlier today, Fnord and I collided with each other while tunneling at bedrock level.

That in mind, if anyone wants to fall out the bottom of the world, visit Level B9 of Gusto's Glass Mine.

Also, I'm kmiller52 in Minecraft.[/QUOTE]

Are you guys finding any diamond? Short of tapping Gasbandit's keg of heinz, I've not found any. I'm hitting a regular number of redstone deposits though.[/QUOTE]

I found 6 within my first 2 hours of playing.

R

Rubicon

I've often wondered how the hell Gasbandit has found THAT much diamond.. You figure each diamond smooth block takes what, 9 diamonds to make? And his entire bean tower is made of nothing but diamond smooth blocks.. I giggle with glee when I find one or two diamonds underground and here he is sitting on the friggin lost city of diamonds :(

I've often wondered how the hell Gasbandit has found THAT much diamond.. You figure each diamond smooth block takes what, 9 diamonds to make? And his entire bean tower is made of nothing but diamond smooth blocks.. I giggle with glee when I find one or two diamonds underground and here he is sitting on the friggin lost city of diamonds :(
I suspect he didn't - he formed the can shape in the world, then perhaps edited offline and had noaxark put those chunks back into the server.

But it's just a guess, because that's a lot of diamond.

figmentPez

Staff member
There's also a duplication glitch in the online inventory. It's risky, in that it sometimes duplicates, sometimes destroys, but it used to more reliably duplicate. I don't know if Gas made all this diamond before or after Notch tried to fix the glitch.

Also, admins can spawn whatever blocks they want, so Gas could have gotten help that way (but I think he said it was the dupe glitch at some point).

GasBandit

Staff member
I didn't mine it, but I didn't map edit it either. Every single block of that can was placed by hand. But to GET the blocks, I memory hacked my client. Having a teal avatar is just too expensive I guess. While I guarantee you there are tons of diamonds around, to get enough to do THAT would have taken months upon months of bloating the size of the world. Even with the can being just as hollow as its real world counterpart.

If teal cloth was available (it is in classic, but not in Survival/alpha), I'd have used that instead.

But from generating previous worlds and looking at them in an editor, I'd roughly estimate that the game puts 3 or 4 diamonds on average in every chunk. The trick is just finding them in that 16x16x64 space (the chunk is technically 128 tall but you never find diamonds above sea level, which is exactly the midpoint).

I can also tell you that the diamond-lava connection is just a coincidence. They are both commonly placed around the same depth, and are both actually a lot more plentiful than one might imagine, so very often they're found close together - though I've seen diamonds off by themselves in solid stone, too.

R

Rubicon

:( Thats just cheating. I thought the cool part of us having our own SMP server was we built stuff like normal. I mean here some of us are slaving away building up resources, when we could just make a few edits and instant best materials there are. *sigh*

R

Rubicon

Can someone reboot the server? The lag is extremely bad at the moment. Theres a couple of us there and it's seriously unplayable. Before the block respawn bug was just a minor annoyance but now the lag is so bad that you can't remove any blocks at all really, and chat messages you enter are delayed by like 45 seconds.

There must be a creeper in the server code....

Would it be possible to restart the server daily around a certain time? Maybe that would proactively help until a fix is released?

N

noaxark

There must be a creeper in the server code....

Would it be possible to restart the server daily around a certain time? Maybe that would proactively help until a fix is released?
I've been doing so, even twice daily. Doing it right now, but it takes a while (initiated the shutdown of the server software 10 minutes ago). Something is definitely looping. I wonder if notch tests the updates on servers that are actually populated. I kind of doubt it.

Exploiting glitches for tool durability in Minecraft?

What's the point of playing then? Might as well play your action games with God Mode on and your RPGs with Infinite HP/MP/GP.

*sigh*

I'll probably join the server when the danger is added back in.

Minecraft won't connect and the main page for the game is down as well. Wonder if someone is being an ass and attacking him again for not updating fast enough?

What's the point of playing then? Might as well play your action games with God Mode on and your RPGs with Infinite HP/MP/GP.

*sigh*

You should come stake out a small parcel of land first complete with threatening signage :).

Minecraft won't connect and the main page for the game is down as well. Wonder if someone is being an ass and attacking him again for not updating fast enough?
Checked the official forums...looks to be a global/semi-global issues. So pretty much we just gotta wait it out.

In the meantime since the server has had an influx of forumites I wonder if they wouldn't mind tossing up a current cartograph of the server :D

Checked the official forums...looks to be a global/semi-global issues. So pretty much we just gotta wait it out.

In the meantime since the server has had an influx of forumites I wonder if they wouldn't mind tossing up a current cartograph of the server :D[/QUOTE]

I'm actually kind of apprehensive to see a new map. I feel like I've discovered new farther reaches in my ever-expanding search for northwestern clay deposits.

You should come stake out a small parcel of land first complete with threatening signage :).
While I wouldn't personally try and kill my fellow forumites, I might create passageways for the undead to find their way into some inner sanctums.... :twisted:

Besides, I don't set up "Keeps" or "Towers". I dig.... deep... and come up from below.

GasBandit

Staff member
:( Thats just cheating. I thought the cool part of us having our own SMP server was we built stuff like normal. I mean here some of us are slaving away building up resources, when we could just make a few edits and instant best materials there are. *sigh*
Call it what you like. In a world where my only available blue building material is diamond, and I'm inspired to create, I didn't let the alpha state of the game stop me. As I said, if teal cloth from classic had been available, I'd have used that. But even WHITE cloth isn't working in SMP yet. Just think of it as a touch of the "classic" game in our SMP. And if that doesn't placate you, I'm beyond caring.

*sigh*

I guess the real danger here is revealing you don't have an imaginative/creative bone in your body and need to hit something to feel validated.

Status
Not open for further replies.