[Brazelton] Microsoft buying Activision/Blizzard for $69b

WHAT.

That is all.

EDIT: "Speaking to the New York Times' Karen Weise, Kotick would not confirm whether he would be CEO after the Microsoft acquisition, only saying that 'post close, I will be available as needed.'
So...house arrest?

—Patrick

Last edited:
I haven't quite made up my mind about this news yet. It's terrible in some ways, may be necessary or useful or positive in others... But yeah, "what" as a first reaction works.

Most online discussion seems to concentrate on one of three things:

"Welp say goodbye to Playstation and hello to Xbox exclusives!"
"They're going to ruin WoW/OW/Diablo/whatever just like Elder Scrolls and Minecraft"
"Sure hope they get rid of Kotick."

--Patrick

Stock tracker currently has MS losing a little, Sony back up, and ATVI up 25%. Man, even if you just bought ATVI stock after reading about it, and sold it now, you'd still have made about 10% (after taxes and exchange costs).

Sometimes I really wished I had enogh "spare" money to fool around with.

This feels very calculated by Kotick. The dude was going through a shit ton of heat from the various scandals, shares were dropping, and it was looking more and more like he was going to be forced to resign. So what's the best way out of it? Sell off the company to a bigger fish for cash. Now Kotick can "retire" with his golden parachute severance package and live at some rich retreat for the rest of his life.

"retire" with his golden parachute severance package and live at some rich retreat for the rest of his life.
Isn't that the stereotypical douchebag CEO formula, though? Squeeze a company until it's about to run out of gas, then bail once the slope starts to go negative and abscond with as much as you can?

--Patrick