Message ratings

Just out of idle curiosity...

Are you more likely to rate a message if you see someone else has rated it?

Are you more likely to rate messages from certain people or messages that have already been rated by certain people?

Are you more likely to rate messages from certain people or messages that have already been rated by certain people?
There are certainly some people more likely to receive ratings than others. I'd say "for my part", but that just translates to "in general" anyway, given half the board's ratings are mine :p Some are just because I'm always glad to see them post because their posts are far too rare for my taste (Grytpipe, or Sparhawk, or BErt, or Hylian, just to name some by definitely not all). Others may be (very) frequent posters, but have a backlog of ratings I feel I want to give. PatrThom is an example - he could post a LMGTFY link and I'd still rate it "informative". Kags could write "Booh!" and she'd get a "Love it". Slight exaggeration, but there are posts of theirs which I'd rate two or three times, but I can't, so a post that might just fall short of qualifying for a rating from someone else will get the "benefit" of their name and thus an extra rating.

Other people's ratings don't affect whether or not I'd rate a post, but they can affect what rating I give - sometimes I'm in doubt between, say, "funny" and "the Thing", or "funny" and "pun", or whatever. If there are already other ratings I tend to give the one the post hasn't received yet.

I use negative ratings fairly rarely in seriousness; usually in jest. If I disagree, I tend to either ignore it, or reply with what and why. Heck, I think I've given Charlie only 5 "disagrees" in all!

Dave

Staff member
Depends on how the post makes me feel. I don't even really notice the ones that are on there unless it's like "pun" or "I need this explained".

Maybe a little bit, like if I'm on the fence about rating something. I find I'm more likely to chose a rating to a message that's already used than pick a new one.

No and no.

The person making the most has no influence on how likely I am to rate the post.
The only time I can say I have been influenced by existing ratings to rate a post have been those "this post deserves one of every rating" but doesn't have all of them yet.

--Patrick

I don't knooooooooow.....! And I wish I did. To some degree, I recognize that the ratings have a generally positive effect on me, and so I try to spread them around liberally with the idea that liking, brofisting, etc a post is akin to a pat on the back, and who doesn't like pats on the back? Everyone here should receive recognition for their contributions.

I suspect that I'm actually more likely to rate a post that hasn't received any rating than one which has - it may seem backwards, but in my mind it's like saying, "That was a great comment, and it's odd no one has recognized that yet. Here, have a cookie." It's not out of pity so much as it is starting the party. When a post already has a number of ratings, I'll only add to it if it really stood out to me.

Is that weird? If I have to ask it must be weird. I bet it's weird.

Better weird than creepy, though. :unibrow:[DOUBLEPOST=1450365250,1450365207][/DOUBLEPOST]
The only time I can say I have been influenced by existing ratings to rate a post have been those "this post deserves one of every rating" but doesn't have all of them yet.
And this too. GOTTA COLLECT THEM ALL!

Not really, on all counts.

I do use hugs in a seemingly non-Halforums way. I generally use them in an affectionate or happy way. I'll use them, of course, if something sad is going on with someone, but I like to use them to convey my feelings of squish towards you guys. I use them almost in place of a like sometimes, I like this post so much I want to hug you, that kind of thing.

I am much more likely to keep in trend with ratings though - if everyone has rated a post 'like' I too will probably rate it like instead of deviating to other options. I'm a sheep!

I notice a lot of people use hugs when the post is sad. I'm like Kags, I like using them to express when I'm happy for the person, too. IRL I'd be hopping up and down going "Oh my glob I am so happy for you!!"

I think I rate certain people's posts more than others. Usually it's because I relate to them better than other posters.

GasBandit

Staff member
I was actually rather unsupportive of ratings when they first got going. I was of the opinion that if a post made you feel something enough to click something, that click ought to be on "reply." But I came around, there are stock responses I guess that would just be clutter in the discussion thread, and ratings let you express those responses without having to add spam to the discussion.

As for myself, though, I still don't use them all that often, though more often than I used to. There used to be a small inside joke about how rare a "gasbandit like" was.

fade

Staff member
I don't click on them too often. Can't bring down the intrinsic value of a fade rating. If I clicked one, you're welcome. Get that thing laminated or bronzed. Just kidding.

I don't click on them too often. Can't bring down the intrinsic value of a fade rating. If I clicked one, you're welcome. Get that thing laminated or bronzed. Just kidding.
Inflation all the way baby! Hyperinflation! YOU get a hug! YOU get a hug! EVERYBODY gets a hug!

...Except you, sorry, you smell.

This is a testable hypothesis. Give me the data and I might get you an answer. :D

I'd actually be rather interested in the results if that were to happen.

Also, my ratings are worth, like, twice as much as fade's.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd actually be rather interested in the results if that were to happen.

Also, my ratings are worth, like, twice as much as fade's.
You are indeed parsimonious with your ratings, having given out only 608 positive ratings. I myself have given out 1082. Fade is a comparative ratings slut, having given 1209 positive ratings.

However, you have given out 15 "Love it!" hearts, Fade has given out 37, but my stone cold dead heart has only loved 5 posts, apparently.

You are indeed parsimonious with your ratings, having given out only 608 positive ratings. I myself have given out 1082. Fade is a comparative ratings slut, having given 1209 positive ratings.

However, you have given out 15 "Love it!" hearts, Fade has given out 37, but my stone cold dead heart has only loved 5 posts, apparently.
....:whistling:....

Hmmm. For some reason, there are list for most positive ratings received and most negative ratings received, but not for most given. Tsk.

I've always wondered if the first rating effects subsequent ones. Like, if the first rating does a "Like" does that to a post, will more be "likes" whereas if they started with a brofist will those follow instead?

B

BErt

I usually only rate a post if I'm not going to respond. That's just how I roll.
This is me too, but it's also why I have a lot more given ratings than received. I still lurk too much to post often, so a lot of things I would be inclined to say would already have been said, so I'll throw a rating down instead. I'm working on posting more though.