[Movies] MCU: Phase 5 - To Kang or Not to Kang

figmentPez

Staff member
Thor: Love and Thunder makes me feel like they are no longer communicating on a continuity linking MCU films.
Thor = Gods are just highly advanced aliens.
Eternals = Basically the same idea as Thor.
Thor: Love and Thunder = Gods are Gods. They bleed gold and all like to hang out for orgies too.
I read a fan theory that Love & Thunder is an unreliable narrator situation, where the version of events we see on screen is the story Korg is telling a bunch of children. The really out-of-place stuff, the goofier gods, Stormbreaker's jealousy, and whatnot, aren't really what happened, they're embellishments by someone who wasn't there for most of it.

figmentPez

Staff member
Madisynn is Mephisto.
There's a scene in an X-Men comic I read way back where the team is having a briefing on Stryfe, and Jubillee complains, "So you're saying that, for all we know, Stryfe could just be Cable with an ice bucket on his head?" and there's a couple panels of shocked Cyclops and Beast saying "That's....", "....plausible."

Which is pretty much my reaction.

Werewolf by Night
I can't believe that they snuck in something so NSFW in the trailer:
Giant Sized Man Thing.png

That is one giant sized Man Thing.

I read a fan theory that Love & Thunder is an unreliable narrator situation, where the version of events we see on screen is the story Korg is telling a bunch of children. The really out-of-place stuff, the goofier gods, Stormbreaker's jealousy, and whatnot, aren't really what happened, they're embellishments by someone who wasn't there for most of it.
Pretty much stated at the beginning of the movie that Korg is telling the story. I took that at face value and enjoyed the wackiness due to Korg just kinda understanding everything going on and paraphrasing what was said at times.

Well then making a movie based on Korg's storytelling makes for a pretty meh movie.

I'm antithrilled at how boring the full Thunderbolts line up. One person with useful super powers and five samesies super soldiers.
I'm really hoping we have mutants by then and Taskmaster isn't the same one as in Black Widow. Or that Red Guardian gets his STARK-level Crimson Dynamo armor or something.

Dave

Staff member
Pretty much stated at the beginning of the movie that Korg is telling the story. I took that at face value and enjoyed the wackiness due to Korg just kinda understanding everything going on and paraphrasing what was said at times.
WHY?!? Because in the MCU Korg is a fucking punchline. For no fucking reason at all. I generally like Watiti and What We Do In The Shadows is amazing. But not EVERYTHING has to be a fucking comedy. MCU Thor frustrates the hell out of me thanks to him and his blatant disregard for the source material and I can't get past that.

GasBandit

Staff member
Eh, I thought DW and L&T were about on par. Ragnarok is still one of my top MCU movies though. I think this one just got overwrought by all the do-over rework, so the blend of elements got out of whack and the retcons ran rampant.

I feel like we are way too deep into the MCU to have blatant disregard for the source material be a good reason to hate a new movie. That argument went out the window over a decade ago.
Yeah, they've taken far too many liberties with the source material to be bothered by that anymore. The MCU is a loose adaptation, at best, and is really its own universe.

GasBandit

Staff member
It would, however, be nice if it could consistently maintain its own continuity (where it obviously isn't a multiverse or MCU/Sony thing).

Has anyone raised that as a criticism? I may have missed it
Ok, people keep reacting to this as if I'm joking, I was serious. My own complaint had nothing to do with it veering away from the source material of the comics, adaptations can and should be their own thing, there's no point in redoing a story beat for beat, art should be transformative and they should take this as a moment to do their own thing.

My gripe was being inconsistent with the own rules and lore they've set for their films. That's not veering away from the source material, that's not staying true to your own movies. If in the next movie Thor were made of jello and had jello powers, I'd expect them to, you know, address this in some way.

Ok, people keep reacting to this as if I'm joking, I was serious. My own complaint had nothing to do with it veering away from the source material of the comics, adaptations can and should be their own thing, there's no point in redoing a story beat for beat, art should be transformative and they should take this as a moment to do their own thing.

My gripe was being inconsistent with the own rules and lore they've set for their films. That's not veering away from the source material, that's not staying true to your own movies. If in the next movie Thor were made of jello and had jello powers, I'd expect them to, you know, address this in some way.
Dave literally said it a few posts above me.

Meh... Wasn't what they said something like "Our science is the same as magic!"?

And there's nothing in that claim that prevents them from being magic beings, esp. in an universe where magic can be taught to create specific effects, which can be studied and taught (and this the scientific method can be applied).

So, just wondering: in Captain America 4, the Israeli superhero Sabra is making an appearance. I don't know much - anything really - about her other than what I've seen/read in media around here. Now, obviously public opinion in the USA is "slightly" different on this subject from Belgium, but...is there any outcry or opposition to the character being voiced? Or is this really a completely uncontroversial choice over there?
From the backstory (poor girl in Israeli settlement, parents killed by Palestinian terrorists) over the name Sabra (the location of one of the biggest massacres of Palestinians in the '80s under the watching eye of the Israeli army - it's maybe not "as bad as" but going in the direction of introducing Soldier Sandy Hook or Admiral Auschwitz) to the cooperation with Mossad (which I know is considered a "good guy" in many American shows but is considered about as much a "good guy" as the KGB in most of the world), the character reads (for now) more like a US Agent style character than an actual Captain America ally.
Any goodwill created in large migrant communities that was created with ms Marvel is pretty much gone already.

I'll repeat: I don't know the character from the comics (I can see how this sort of character came to life in the '80s), but the description and what we've seen/heard in media here has been... extremely tone deaf. I just can't really see how they'd turn this character around and keep her a genuine hero that could appeal to American audiences and be acceptable to Muslim minorities. If she's a Shining Light Defending Order and Justice, I hope the actress gets police protection; if she's going to be presented as critical of Israeli foreign policy it's going to go over like a lead balloon in the USA and Israel. If she's shown as a sort of anti-heroine like US Agent...Oof. Dangerous grounds. Obviously many types of characters can be or are by default political - Black Panther etc are important for representation. Of course it offends a part, but it'll get praised by another part of the population. I'm certainly not against a super from Israel per se...But a Mossad agent proudly wearing a white suit with the blue David's Star is likely to end up hated by all sides. It seems like too thorny an issue to try and skate around.

Given how FATWS attempted to tackle the issue of Sam being a black man, and how racism and the poor treatment of minorities affected even the Super Soldier program (eg. Isiah Bradley), I'm guessing the addition of Sabra is meant to further explore this issue of the oppressor and the oppressed. Israel sees itself as the oppressed; many of its neighbors see it as an oppressor. Both perspectives have validity.

Now's let's see if the MCU is capable of examining this issue in a meaningful way.