[Movies] MCU: Phase 5 - To Kang or Not to Kang

My show impressions thus far. Some spoilery stuff for the older stuff.

Wanda-Vision: Promising idea but ultimately failed to really justify Wanda's change into a villain.
Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Clunky and boring story that was clearly hit hard by the last minute revisions needed due to COVID pandemic hitting during filming.
LOKI: Clever show that has fun with the character but throws the MCU into a tailspin of over the top insanity that basically allows them to excuse anything and everything just because.
What If: Fun anthology show that doesn't really hurt the MCU as a whole. I enjoyed each episode and appreciate what they did with it.
Hawk Eye: It was a fun little romp that unfortunately started to lose me when Kingpin returns and we have to believe that he's ruling the city from a car dealership.
Moon Knight: Mostly enjoyable. Don't have too much at fault with it except that the films like The Eternals and Thor: Love and Thunder really make you question how the MCU is incorporating Gods into the mythos.
Ms. Marvel: Haven't finished it as it is hard to get past the awkward teenager plot points. Also, I find that this has some of the worst plot pacing of all the shows thusfar. Most of them suffer from some kind of plot pacing issues that you might find in rushed TV shows or films, but this one is like "We're good guys! No wait... we're bad guys!" with absolutely no well paced reveal. It just happens like someone changing their mind about what they want for dinner just as the server is walking away. Also, the Department of Damage Control are just evil now too? Okiedokie.
She-Hulk: Great so far. Solid first episode. Throws in some world building stuff. Touches a bit on Bruce Banner and all the changes he has been going through. The 4th wall breaking is weird, and I kinda wanted it to stay something that just Deadpool does, but I acknowledge that she's been doing it longer in the comics than Deadpool has. The humor is great and I'm looking forward to more.

I still can't believe people saw She-Hulk and think that Jen's stronger than Hulk when Bruce was CLEARLY (they almost beat you over the head with it - hurled space rock) pulling his punches so as not to hurt her cause she's his friggin cousin!

The only only thing I didn't like was "I am woman, therefore suppress anger better" bit. Let's just say, I'm not a fan of throwing cliches out on genders like that. Individuals deal with anger in different ways. Some people are chill; others are not. Bruce Banner is NOT a chill dude. He's always angry. That's his secret. I just didn't appreciate Jen stating that just because she deals with "mansplaining" and catcalls she has a better grip on handling her anger - just because of her gender. Jen as a person, handles her anger in a much healthier manner than Bruce. It has nothing to do with being a woman.

Aside from also agreeing that She-Hulk's reasoning for being able to handle her anger better seems a bit bitter towards men in particular, I think my biggest issue with the show is the healing of Bruce's arm.
The loss of his arm was a huge sacrifice in End Game. It's a major cop-out to have it heal in his very next full appearance, with a lame explanation of "you got good genes I guess.". At least give him multiple appearances where the arm is a major limitation for him before you come up with some better explained reason why he can get it working again.

The arm healing was the biggest, most egregious retconning copout I've seen from the MCU and they've been guilty of some shit ones, mostly involving Thor (new eye immediately, his revelation he doesn't need his hammer is reversed IMMEDIATELY).

I feel like this is a very comic book-thing to happen. A previous writer finishes their run; new writer comes on, doesn't like the changes to the character/s because it interrupts their "vision" for the story, and either retcons or drops the whole thing entirely. It's not a good way to tell an on-going story, but it certainly happens in this genre a lot. (See also: death isn't permanent.)

I’m okay with it, because the idea that his arm was permanently damaged as the Hulk was fucking stupid to begin with. But they do toss out previous writers’ decisions too easily in the MCU. The aforementioned Thor changes in Infinity War were crap.

I appreciate that the She-Hulk series feels like it is connecting a lot of the MCU lore and grounding them. It's not a terrible series apart from some frustrating choices they made to explain her ability to not develop a 2nd personality when turning into She-Hulk. I also surprisingly like the She-Hulk CGI work despite the fact that it looks and moves exactly like a character design from Shrek.

GasBandit

Staff member
Watched Love and Thunder, finally.

Ehhh, it was ok. I'm kinda starting to see what Dave is griping about where Taika Waititi just can't seem to take anything seriously at all. I mean, Ragnarok was fun, but this one pushed the needle a little too far to the goofy end for my taste.

Still better than Age of Ultron, though.

And this week's She-Hulk was kinda weaksauce too. Jury's still out on that show, for me... but it gets bonus points for making the teeny peenie crowd so apoplectic.

I actually really liked the latest episode of She-Hulk. I liked the Wong team-up, there was some great action, and I thought the fourth wall breaking jokes were good this time around. And I really love Wong's new love interest. I totally ship Wongers/Madisynn. This was the first episode of She-Hulk that I really liked.

Also, fun fact, this episode was written by Melissa Hunter, best known for the sadly short lived Adult Wednesday Addams series on YouTube. Seems she's made a good living for herself as a TV writer. She wrote a lot of episodes of Santa Clarita Diet, for example.

... but it gets bonus points for making the teeny peenie crowd so apoplectic.
You can practically hear them choking on their vape pens.
I saw someone in a comment section ask how they were able to include the scenes with the negative tweets, the Twitter armor, etc. Did they go back and add those scenes after the show started running? And in my head, I could only think, "Oh, sweet summer child...".

I saw someone in a comment section ask how they were able to include the scenes with the negative tweets, the Twitter armor, etc. Did they go back and add those scenes after the show started running? And in my head, I could only think, "Oh, sweet summer child...".
Perhaps we should start conspiracy rumors suggesting some of the internet critics that specialize in hating "wokeness" are getting Disney bucks to help the show get publicity, with those scenes being proof.

So I saw Thor: Love and Thunder

What the hell was that? I didn't hate it, it's ok, but damn if it isn't all over the place. This feels like three different movies stapled together, and while it does have some really good performances, Natalie Portman and Christian Bale being the standouts, but I've got real problems with the ending, that I'll expand on in another post.

But overall I really needed more romantic comedy in this romantic comedy. I needed a lot more Jane, and more of the dynamic between her and Thor, because that was the best part of this movie.

Also, I don't think anyone told Christian Bale that he was in a goofy space movie because goddamn is he scary

Thor: Love and Thunder makes me feel like they are no longer communicating on a continuity linking MCU films.
Thor = Gods are just highly advanced aliens.
Eternals = Basically the same idea as Thor.
Thor: Love and Thunder = Gods are Gods. They bleed gold and all like to hang out for orgies too.

Thor: Love and Thunder makes me feel like they are no longer communicating on a continuity linking MCU films.
Thor: Love and Thunder = Gods are Gods. They bleed gold and all like to hang out for orgies too.
You know I'm fine with the introduction of real gods born out of the faith of their worshippers, but Thor is already established as not being one of those and this movie just suddenly lumps him in. And yeah this kinda started with Ragnarok and Odin just kinda turning into energy revealing he's more than just an Asgardian but it's kinda put to the background and not dealt with.

To be fair, The Eternals weren't considered gods in the original comics, either. Kirby's original run really was about incredibly advanced, god-LIKE aliens.

As for the change, it's more a show that Marvel can get away with more bigger ideas than before. When Thor came out, we were still in the "everything must be super realistic and down to Earth" thanks to things like Nolan's Batman, and the Bond reboot. Having magic at all in big blockbuster action movies that weren't aimed at kids (Harry Potter) was still a hard pill to swallow for general audiences. So, "magic" became "science we don't understand yet." Even Doctor Strange went with that bullshit explanation.

But now, general audiences are more accepting weird stuff thanks to Marvel constantly pushing weird stuff. Rocket & Groot being the first line of defense in that.

So I saw Thor: Love and Thunder

What the hell was that? I didn't hate it, it's ok, but damn if it isn't all over the place. This feels like three different movies stapled together, and while it does have some really good performances, Natalie Portman and Christian Bale being the standouts, but I've got real problems with the ending, that I'll expand on in another post.

But overall I really needed more romantic comedy in this romantic comedy. I needed a lot more Jane, and more of the dynamic between her and Thor, because that was the best part of this movie.

Also, I don't think anyone told Christian Bale that he was in a goofy space movie because goddamn is he scary
They've put out some deleted scenes that make it very apparent there were some massive rewrites to this movie, even during it's shooting. So yes... it's literally two/three movies stapled together and it shows.

Also Christian Bale is hands down the best part of this movie.

The MCU seems to like having their villains played by heavyweight actors, who generally play the role straight even if the rest of the movie is goofy. Examples include Cate Blanchett in Ragnarok, Tony Leung in Shang-Chi, Michael Keaton in Homecoming, and Thanos in, uh, everything he appeared in. Love and Thunder continues this tradition by having Christian Bale play the role as a terrifying villain. Whether this is a good film making strategy or not, I am not knowledgeable enough to say, though I do think it does tend to make the foes facing our superheroes feel more threatening.

Anyway, I agree that Love and Thunder is not one of the MCU's better films. It's tonally all over the place, it doesn't maintain continuity well with previous films (eg. the stuff about whether Thor's a god or just an advanced alien), and even the logic within the same film doesn't seem very consistent (why can Jane go to Valhalla but Sif can't?). However, I also found it entertaining, visually beautiful, and generally well acted. So, thus far I haven't yet encountered an MCU movie I haven't liked, and Love and Thunder continues this streak; it's definitely not one of the MCU's best, but I still liked it.

The MCU seems to like having their villains played by heavyweight actors, who generally play the role straight even if the rest of the movie is goofy. Examples include Cate Blanchett in Ragnarok, Tony Leung in Shang-Chi, Michael Keaton in Homecoming, and Thanos in, uh, everything he appeared in. Love and Thunder continues this tradition by having Christian Bale play the role as a terrifying villain. Whether this is a good film making strategy or not, I am not knowledgeable enough to say, though I do think it does tend to make the foes facing our superheroes feel more threatening.

Anyway, I agree that Love and Thunder is not one of the MCU's better films. It's tonally all over the place, it doesn't maintain continuity well with previous films (eg. the stuff about whether Thor's a god or just an advanced alien), and even the logic within the same film doesn't seem very consistent (why can Jane go to Valhalla but Sif can't?). However, I also found it entertaining, visually beautiful, and generally well acted. So, thus far I haven't yet encountered an MCU movie I haven't liked, and Love and Thunder continues this streak; it's definitely not one of the MCU's best, but I still liked it.
I know you really want to say it, so just say it